National Team

MVM

Solomon,

Couldn't agree with you more.

1. I don't watch a lot of MLS. They play such a direct game (very little possesion). I often wonder if they are trying to win over the American football fan with that type of game.

2. If we could get our children to go outside and "play" soccer. Just like my generation did with football. We were alway playing the game. And without coaches and parents telling us what we were doing that was wrong.

3. More games with the teams from overseas is a great idea.

GREAT POST!

I just hope I left BigG speechless. /flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" />

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thoughts from a very, very casual soccer fan who is about one year ahead of caring about soccer again. (But I do plan on watching Sunday.)

1. In my opinion, we are too fundamental, if that makes sense. I guess too organized from too early of an age would be a better phrase. IMO, baseball is similar. Americans are specializing in this sport (much like baseball) from a very early age, and while they know "how to play" fundamentally they really don't know "how to play" in a street smart sense. You see the same thing with the players from Latin America in baseball. Every time I watch the MNT I think this. I've always said you can teach fundamentals at a later age, you can't teach instinct. That is developed by playing on the playgrounds.

2. Soccer is still the 4th sport in America (5th if you count golf). Good athletes are playing it, but the best athletes predominatly aren't as compared to other countries. Which leads me to......

3. The professional leagues. To be honest - I've tried to watch a MLS game or two, and I can't. It's like watching AA baseball. While soccer fans might can watch them, to a casual fan like myself, it's boring as heck. That said, if I ever catch a Premier League game on TV, I will typically sit and watch for a while because it's entertaining. There is no buzz to make kids want to go out and play soccer in the same way as football or basketball. I guess that goes back to marketing. That ties into........

4. We need to play more friendlies against European and South American teams. That is on the national team level. Also, what would be superb is if MLS could find a way to get a team in the Champions League in Europe, fully knowing they would be crushed, but it would generate some buzz more frequently that once every 4 years (or two years depending on your stance on the Olympics). Ideally though, American soccer has got to do more to promote soccer against international teams because it's not going to work doing it solely in America and playing teams from North and Central America. Do a Nike Cup here. Winner of MLS and 3 teams from Europe.

Like I said, just thoughts from a casual fan.

No such luck in keeping me speachless!

GChunn, I don't know where to put it. I could move it to the boys thread or any other thread, but don't know where it should end up. If you have an idea, let me know.

Sol, I totally agree with the MLS. I specifically got cable this summer to watch soccer, and I did for 2 weeks. And I couldn't stand watching it! So direct, so many fouls, so many attitudes. Players cussing at coaches, coaches cussing at players, poooooooor possession. And you know what, it is how our national team plays. And unfortunately, more frequently, I have seen many of our club teams play like this, as well. Not all, mind you. There are many good clubs out there.

I agree with a lot of your points. I do also agree that kids need to go out more and just play pick up soccer. But they are TOO BUSY to do that! They have 5 days a week of club soccer, homework, school, piano practice, etc. Sometimes the best thing that can happen to a player is for him or her to take a step back and take some time "off".

BUtiful game, I had no idea about the new women's league, and I consider myself a fair soccer "fan". I don't have fox soccer (I can barely afford the 3 months of expanded cable I have for the summer already!!!) so until now, I hadn't even heard anything about it. I guess one could watch it on ESPN360.com. Thanks for letting us know. I am definitely going to look into it!

Again, this is a great topic at a great time (nothing is really going on with HS soccer yet). I'll try and figure out where to put it.

No such luck in keeping me speachless!

GChunn, I don't know where to put it. I could move it to the boys thread or any other thread, but don't know where it should end up. If you have an idea, let me know.

Again, this is a great topic at a great time (nothing is really going on with HS soccer yet). I'll try and figure out where to put it.

Sorry to have started this on this thread, I really thought this topic would die out when the HS girls season gets closer. I JUSTED WANTED TO TYPE SOME SOCCER... /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

I've watched some of the WPS games and I have to admit it's even a little slow for me. However, Everyone seems to agree with the point that American soccer is very structured and I would agree. But I think that's one of the reasons why the US Women National Team does so well because the Women's game IS a more structured and team oriented style of play. JMO

Keys to the game:

1. No silly fouls. Brazil is too leathel on their free kicks. Eliminate those and you have a chance to hang around.

2. Keep pressure on the ball from our Mids. Our back line is playing exceptional ball right now. Brazil is not as strong as Spain was in possesion (granted, slightly less). Just try to force as much wide as possible. I like our chances if Brazil has to play out wide

3. Bocanegra must be able to contain the outside left flanks of Brazil.

4. Play physical and hope the referees will let play happen. Brazil had a very easy game of it against S. Africa from a phyiscal challenge stand point. We could rattle them with strong pressure.

5. Brazil can match up with Altzidore in the middle. Need Dempsey to continue his form and find space

6. Cold weather is expected. THis is more to the US comfort zone.

Prediction: Brazil 1-0. I wish we had Bradley, but our team is not built around one player. Unless Brazil plays as poorly as they did against S. Africa, we will up against it. Granted, we should have the advantage of Brazil taking us lightly, just like Spain did. Can we counter, get a lead, and then hold on for the rest of the match? I doubt we can be as fortunate as we were with Spain. Our team, without a clear cut star, must play with heart and the belief they can beat Brazil. No pressure on the US, as Brazil is expected to win. I think that helps us stay in the game for at least the 1st half. If we can get to half at 0-0, what a joy that would be to play for the championship in the 2nd half. Help us out refs and don't get deceived by the dives and fake falls that Brazil used in the first game!

USA vs Brazil tomorrow at 2:00 for the Confederation Cup.

Predictions:

Brazil 2 USA 0

Keys to this game:

1) Creativity....USA has very little of it (and even less than that without Bradley) and Brazil oozes it. I think the game will be close until the middle of the second half, then Brazil will pull away.

2) Refs...The USA will not get a call in their favor and Brazillans are excellent actors.

3) No Bradley for the US.

MVM,

I like your assesment, but....

Upset:

USA 2

Brazil 1

Yes, part of this prediction comes from the heart. But you can't deny that the USA is playing like they have to prove something... considering the first two games they needed to find some heart and passion. Who would have thought they would beat Egypt 3-0...and for sure who predicted the upset of Spain 2-0.

1. The defense must slow down Kaka and keep their defense compact. Note: S. Africa

2. The USA must also attach with Donovan, Dempsey, Altidore, and Davis.

3. POSSESION, POSSESION, POSSESION.

4. Assuming Feilhaber comes in for Bradley, he will need to play the game of his life...and I believe he can.

5. POSSESION, POSSESSION, POSSESION.

6. The refs have to call it the same for both sides. Also, not awarding a direct kick when Brazil takes a dive.

Did I mention...POSSESION.

Substitute Brazil for the word Bears in the video...

Did I mention...POSSESSION. Quote by ghunn.

Sorry guys but when your up by two goals you must have POSSESSION and not just whack the ball out of the back.

Substitute Brazil for the word Bears in the video...

Did I mention...POSSESSION. Quote by ghunn.

Sorry guys but when your up by two goals you must have POSSESSION and not just whack the ball out of the back.

My guys groan every time I say it, but it is true: 2-0 is the MOST DANGEROUS LEAD IN SOCCER!

Why did the US change their tactics in the second half? They played a GREAT first half and then fell apart!

Actually, the score was 4-2... that goal they didn't call most DEFINITELY crossed the line. You could see it from behind the upright from the side!

Either way, I still conclude that Tim Howard is amazing.

I take a lot of possitives away from the Confed Cup. We gained a tremendous amount of experience playing against some of the top teams in the world. Playing Brazil (twice), Spain, and Italy....in meaningful games.......was a great test. I hope we benefit from these games in our mental preperation for playing in big matches and how to handle the pressure. Having the majority of these players back next summer for the WC and knowing they have gone thru this will only help our team's development.

The negatives.......poor possession and poor coaching/player management by BBradley. I think if we had been able to maintain even half of the possession that we had in the 1st half against Brazil during the 2nd half, we might have been able to hold on and get it to an overtime situation. Not sure it would have turned out any differently had we gotten to OT, however, as our team was handicapped by injured/suspendedbenched/ subs not being available. BBradley has got to open up his bench. One of our biggest strengths is our depth. We played this game with one hand tied behind our back because of BB decision not to give more players a chance on the pitch during the previous matches. As our team wore down in the 2nd half. the only subs BB thought he could bring on the field were Bornstein and Kjlestian. Not having Michael Bradley was a HUGE loss for us, as having him would have enabled BB to bring Feilhaber in as a 2nd half sub, a better answer than the other two players. I would have liked to have seen Torres or Pearce come in during the 2nd half (Pearce for a struggling Bocanegra), Torres for another possession player inplace of the "winded" Altidore. (How are you 19 years old, on the USMNT, and not fit to play more than one half?)

Lastly, read this information I got from another soccer site about the referee that issued the Red card to Michael Bradley. He has a history of sticking it to the US team:

Larrionada (this referee) has now pulled the trifecta on us. In '03 he was reportedly the ref in the Confed Cup opener against Turkey. Kirovski (US player now with the LA Galaxy) was rugby tackled in the box, no call. Halfway through the game, a Turkish forward blatantly handled the ball, Hand of God style, to redirect it to his feet on a long ball brought down at the top of the box. After handling it, he tripped and fell between two american defenders. PK. No whistle on the blatant handball, just a PK. We lost that game, and got bounced out of the tournament (had Brazil next, then Cameroon and finished 1-2 to Turkey, 0-1 to Brazil, and 0-0 to Cameroon), that performance likely cost us Mexico's cake group phase seed at Germany '06.

3 years later Larionda is behind the even up bogus call on Mastro against Italy in Group Game 2, and the horse manure double yellow/red Pope got.

Now he's at it again another 3 years later. (Red card to Michael Bradley) Spot the trend? Every three years this guy completely hoses us. Even worse he was suspended by his own domestic fed for corruption back in '02. Why in heck is he allowed to ref at the international level?

good post cincyred!

We first need to congratulate this team for having the heart and courage to make this the best FIFA tournament in USA history. After the first 2 games it wasn't looking too good.

You got to love the play of Landon Donovan!

I think you are right on with the assesment of not having Bradley available. I believe our possession would have been better with him in. (interesting about that ref).

I liked what Donovan said after the game..."we aren't looking for respect, we want to win." The players were not happy with 2nd (note Dempsey was very upset after the game).

It will be interesting to see if we can continue to play with the same intensity and passion when the USA gets back to the WC qualifing games. The Mexico game should give us a good picture.

good post cincyred!

We first need to congratulate this team for having the heart and courage to make this the best FIFA tournament in USA history. After the first 2 games it wasn't looking too good.

You got to love the play of Landon Donovan!

I think you are right on with the assesment of not having Bradley available. I believe our possession would have been better with him in. (interesting about that ref).

I liked what Donovan said after the game..."we aren't looking for respect, we want to win." The players were not happy with 2nd (note Dempsey was very upset after the game).

It will be interesting to see if we can continue to play with the same intensity and passion when the USA gets back to the WC qualifing games. The Mexico game should give us a good picture.

Landon has nailed it for me. I want wins. The days of looking for respect is over. This nations soccer base has sunk a lot into soccer over the last 20 years and I feel it's time to get results. It seems that a lot of the media (Lexie Lawless and others) are happy with the showing at the Confed. Cup...Why? We lost! Not only did we lose, but we gave up 3 goals in the 2nd half to get beat. How can anyone be happy with that? Somehow our National team and American soccer fans have to expect more from our team than "a good showing" and must believe and expect that we are going to win EVERY game...Period.

For 1 game (Spain) and 45 minutes into the last game (Brazil) this team showed it could hang and BEAT the worlds best. And to expect or accept anything less than victory would be a travesty. I'm sorry guys I know I sound so negative, buy By Golly I'm TIRED of "good Showings". /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

God help this team if they go 3 and out at the world cup. /mad.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":angry:" border="0" alt="mad.gif" />