National Team

MVM

MVM, people won't expect to win until we actually do win.

Until we actually pull it off, people will be satisfied with a "good showing".

And Landon's attitude is exactly why he works so hard for the entire 90 minutes. He wants to win, and will play his heart out for the entire time. He is one of the few that I feel have true passion on the squad.

One thing I really enjoyed was watching Tim Howard play. Besides being incredible, it actually looked like he was having a good time out there! He was smiling after some of the great saves, but also wouldn't hesitate to berate his defenders for screwing up. He also was quick to encourage, too. In my mind, the true MVP of the US team.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MVM, people won't expect to win until we actually do win.

Until we actually pull it off, people will be satisfied with a "good showing".

And Landon's attitude is exactly why he works so hard for the entire 90 minutes. He wants to win, and will play his heart out for the entire time. He is one of the few that I feel have true passion on the squad.

One thing I really enjoyed was watching Tim Howard play. Besides being incredible, it actually looked like he was having a good time out there! He was smiling after some of the great saves, but also wouldn't hesitate to berate his defenders for screwing up. He also was quick to encourage, too. In my mind, the true MVP of the US team.

But If we as fans except "good showings" then that's what were going to get "good showings". G your a very successful coach, Do you expect to win every game or do expect "good showings". I know were not going to win every game, but WE BEAT SPAIN, and for 45 minutes we destroyed Brazil. I know we can win, heck we should have won. I will not except a "good showing" loss from this team from here on out.

and YES...Tim Howard is awesome.

I too thought we had this game in the bag. Brazil was there for the taking in the 1st half. Their goalie was having a nightmare half. One more goal, and it was hasta la vista (in Portuguese), baby. I was already thinking about whether or not I would wear (or frame) my Confed Cup Champions T-shirt. Oh, well.

Look at it this way.............If we had played an inspired 1st half, kept Brazil on thier heels, really carried the match, and it was 0-0 (moral victory?), but got beat in the 2nd half, giving up 3 goals, I would have felt much worse and would have wanted BB to be fired before he got on the plane back to the USA. While I do think BB made some questionable moves in this tourney, the results speak for themselves. If we lose to Mexico on August 12th (granted in Asteca - US has never won there before), the drums will start beating again for BB's head.

One thing i hated was if you watch after donavan scored he was pointing to himself and screaming ME .... I DO think that donavon thinks he is a gift from God to the US, but he doesnt even play across seas. (not saying that the players on the team who do play over are better) If he didn't display this attitude before no big deal. sometimes he makes me sick. sorry needed to get that off my chest. thanks

PS well done USA

One thing i hated was if you watch after donavan scored he was pointing to himself and screaming ME .... I DO think that donavon thinks he is a gift from God to the US, but he doesnt even play across seas. (not saying that the players on the team who do play over are better) If he didn't display this attitude before no big deal. sometimes he makes me sick. sorry needed to get that off my chest. thanks

PS well done USA

Siegle, I was wondering about that, myself... It sure seemed to be him pointing at himself and saying "me!". I thought I was the only one bugged by that. Even though he worked his tail off in that goal, it took more than him to score it.

I don't know what Donvovan was saying or whether or not he was referring to himself...but I know that normally he is one of the most unselfish players on this team...or just about any team. How many times in this tournament did he give up a shot and pass it to someone who had more space. A number of times I thought he should have taken the shot. And the man worked his butt off...you would see him up top in the attack and the next minute he was defending with the back line. And he did that the entire match.

MVM, From watching the expressions on the players faces after the match and while recieving their metals it looked like they were not satisfied either...and that's what has to change...these guys have got to want to win. I don't think they were satisfied with second. Hopefully this tournament will be a great learning experience for them and a springboard that will propel them to that next level.

Cincyred, I agree with you, the Mexico game could show us a lot.

To me it looked like he was pointing at the USA logo on the jersey and saying that "We've arrived."

I have to agree also.....I think that he was pointing at the USA logo and declaring that USA men's soccer is becoming a force. He was very impressive playing the midfield position and covering the field contributing both in the defensive third and the attacking third. It also seems that his work rate is much stronger in that position than in a forward position and can contribute so much more. I think that his play was much stronger now than I have seen in previous MNT games or in MLS play. He would never give up a fight for the ball while others on the field seemed to not have quite as much drive and fight in them.

Ok, I'm going to disagree on two things here.

1) Donovan is overrated in my opinion. Sure he is fast, sure he can score when he outruns someone. He isn't USA's best player and an interview last year where he was asked about being Captain he said, "I want to try not to lose" (paraphrased) made my jaw drop open. I have seen the USMNT live twice and both times he did not impress me. I don't think he gives 100% all the time. And he is one of those players that thinks no one should touch him. That being said, the Confed Cup was his best showing in some time. He even got yellow carded for making a hard defensive tackle!!

2) Michael Bradley. Decent player but would not be on the team if dad wasn't coaching. His dad has opened up all the doors for him. Was at ODP event this past weekend, and the discussion came up, most of the coaches there agreed that Bradley was spotty. Sure he has scored some opportunistic goals, but his passing in mid is sporadic with multiple turn-overs. The red card is not surprising. He tires at the end of games and gets sloppy chasing the ball around the field and eventually tackling from behind. He has been caught doing this several times.

On the plus side, I agree that Timmie Howard (who lives here whenever he has time off) is becoming a World Class GK. His play with Everton and his recent play with the USMNT shows he is the real deal.

Coach Bradley's style is much better than Bruce Arena's and the Confed Cup strategy to come out with an attacking mindset from minute 1:00 is what lead to early leads, which everyone here will agree, changes the whole game.

I have to agree also.....I think that he was pointing at the USA logo and declaring that USA men's soccer is becoming a force. He was very impressive playing the midfield position and covering the field contributing both in the defensive third and the attacking third. It also seems that his work rate is much stronger in that position than in a forward position and can contribute so much more. I think that his play was much stronger now than I have seen in previous MNT games or in MLS play. He would never give up a fight for the ball while others on the field seemed to not have quite as much drive and fight in them.

I have to disagree regarding Donovan's post goal celebration..I just watched the replay again of the 2nd goal from my DVR, he turns after scoring, and is pointing with both hands with his one finger on each hand to his own chest (and not the USA logo on the upper left chest), and clearly says "ME"......"ME" as he runs out....

For what it is worth...

D