National Team

MVM

you know. Last Women's World Cup. Solo delivered the team to an unbeaten streak and then, in absolute shock, they decide to de-thaw Scurry from retirement (like Rocky VII). She was absolutely sluggish in the goal. Lost the match for the team.

And you compare Tim Howard to her?

Sorry, I considered that an insult not a compliment. Yes, she was awesome in her day, but the last episode likely tarnished that image.

Agreed...I was making reference to Scurry in her prime...what confused me was your "HIS" reference, I assume you meant "HER"..

Lost his touch and survives on past statistics and not performance? Sorry, but a less than avg comparison

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I'm kinda late on this topic. I haven't even read everyones post. I read the first 3. Anyways, to me, I don't feel the US plays all the best players all the time. Come the Brazil game, I feel like we had most of the best players on the field, but still missing a few. I've always thought Donovan was way overrated, but he stepped it up in the past tourney. Yes we lack creativity. I still think Freddy Adu should be on the field. I don't care if he plays 100, or 2 games over seas. Thats a garbage excuse to me. Better performances against Egypt,Spain, and Brazil, but will it last? Time will tell.

Interesting.

I have for some reason read more about this than I thought I would, and every thing I read gets me back to the same conclusion - this isnt' the Camelot Beckham thought it would be and he doesn't want to be here anymore.

It's easy, actually very easy, to be a professional when you are working with the best of the best. In LA, he's not and it's quite obvious he feels himself above the Galaxy and MLS. I'm not sure he knows how to relate to a soccer player in America. He's a demigod accostomed to playing with other demigods. These players rank 4th or lower in importance to most Americans on the sports heirarchy. It's a different game and one that Beckham just isn't suited for.

Two-part interview with Grant Wahl, author of THe Beckham Experiement.

http://www.thisisamericansoccer.com/soccer...-pt2/#more-2535

Great insight into the whole debacle. Will be interesting to see how the 1st place Galaxy deal with the return of Bechham. It all starts tomorrow when the Galaxy take on the Red Bulls in NY. Can you say media circus? Can you say 60,000 fans?

• 2 weeks later...

I really have enjoyed watching these young men who are playing for the USA team in the Gold Cup. I believe some of them can and should contibute to the team when they start back with the World Cup Qualifing. I like the effort of Brain Ching up top. Also impressed with this young keeper.

Don't let the negatism of this article about Beckham be another rung that soccer haters can grasp on to in order to bash soccer. Shame on Wahl for writting this book.

The Donovan blasting Beckham incident and all the attention it received (ESPY's, MLS Broadcasts, Beckham interviews, etc.) does not help American Soccer, in fact it hurts it.

To have Donovan criticize Beckham looks silly to football fans worldwide, and thus makes US Soccer look whiny and immature. I believe you earn the Captain's armband, and if Beckham's reported attitude and demands forced Donovan to step up and act and play like a real Captain, then Becks should be commended for pushing Landon. (After all, isn't that what true leaders do? Push their teammates to perform better?)

As I taught my son long ago...you don't need trophies to be a winner, nor do you need an armband to be a leader.