Steve McNair

Feel for his family.....It's hard enough when a family member is acting as it appears he was.....now to face the ultimate consequence....death.

Hope his family is ok.

This is just weird.

First, I am having a hard time believing his wife had no idea this was going on. There are pictures of him parasailing with this other girl. When I lived in Franklin it was common knowledge he had a girlfriend/mistress on the side. I just don't see HOW she couldn't know. It almost seems like she has somewhat enabled his behavior if you start connection a lot of the dots.

Second, I keep thinking about the ex-boyfriend. Just a weird situation too. Someone I can just see him coming involved with this somehow.

Overall, the guy has been playing with fire for a long time. Great football player that exemplified the blue collar work ethic. But off the field......not so much someone to emulate.

This whole scenario is such a shock. Nashville, especially, is just numb every where I go. It is all that is being discussed on the radio and on TV.

The biggest off the field memory I will have of Steve is when he rented an 18 wheeler and loaded it multiple times with donations for the Katrina victims in Mississippi. He helped load the trucks in the LP Field parking lot. He also contributed so much else off the field by getting personally involved in numerous things- all without any fanfare.

On the field, he was as tough as you could get. From my relationship with numerous Titan coaches, I have learned just how banged up he was week after week, unable to practice, and then turning it into something magic on the field. He had tremendous respect from players, opponents, and coaches.

His off the field personal life seems to follow a too familiar path for many celebs and pro athletes. I don't know what the status of his marriage was, if his wife knew or agreed or accepted his flings, or if he was just stringing this girl along. Heck, his girlfriend is only a couple of years older than his oldest son. Now that is creepy.

The moral of the story to me is that life can be taken at any time, whether through decisions you make or incidents beyond your control. Like McNair, you may not have the opportunity to apologize, explain, or set right certain actions you've taken to the ones you truly love. You may not get to write the final chapter or verse of your life's story- so live it with integrity so you don't need to.

His sons and what they will live with- and live without- is the real tragedy. All of those left behind are left with unanswered questions and grief.

Associate: Mechelle McNair didn't know of affair

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) - An associate said Wednesday that the wife of ex-NFL quarterback Steve McNair didn't know about Sahel Kazemi before the 20-year-old woman was found dead alongside her husband on the Fourth of July.

McNair, 36, was shot four times in what the medical examiner has said is likely a murder-suicide, though police haven't confirmed that Kazemi was responsible.

Mike Mu, who has worked with McNair's charitable foundation for years, said Mechelle McNair "didn't know who this girl is."

Mechelle McNair, who has not spoken publicly since the shooting, has been described by people close to her as being very upset and distraught. Agent Bus Cook said McNair's wife was "in and out" of it in the hours after the shooting.

Kazemi's family told reporters that the woman was so confident McNair was divorcing his wife of 12 years that she was preparing to sell her furniture and move in with the former quarterback.

Mu is handling media inquiries for Thursday night's memorial service in Nashville. A funeral service will be held Saturday in Mississippi.

The close friend who reported McNair's death to 911 defended his friend since their days playing football at Alcorn State to The Tennessean. Robert Gaddy, who did not immediately return a text message to his cell phone from The Associated Press on Wednesday, said the the McNairs' Nashville home was on the market because they were looking for a new house.

"People need to quit talking about what they don't know. Mac never said anything to me about he was going to get a divorce, and ever since this has all happened everybody is trying to paint a certain picture and they need to talk about what they know," Gaddy told newspaper.

The four-time Pro Bowl quarterback was being remembered Wednesday at the stadium where he played much of his career. The Tennessee Titans opened LP Field for fans to watch video highlights of McNair's 13-year NFL career, look at photos of the quarterback and had a book for them to write messages that will be given to the family.

The McNairs married in 1997, and Mechelle is the mother of two of his four sons. She met McNair while both were students at Alcorn State, though she also studied nursing in Nashville and became a nurse while he played for the Titans.

Mechelle McNair tended his numerous injuries at home, changing bandages and even helping with intravenous fluids in 2001 when her husband needed I.V. antibiotics for an infection that developed after shoulder surgery.

• 2 years later...