Class 5A Coaches Poll

Guest catsvoice

Guest catsvoice

The coaches in Class 5A have voted in Murphy Fair's Tennessee High School Football Magazine and here is their top ten.

1 Hillsboro

2 Henry Co.

3 Melrose

4 Knoxville Catholic

5 Mitchell

6 Gallatin

7 Beech

8 Clinton

9 Cleveland

10 Sullivan South

I'm not sure the Burros can win another title in this class, at least this year. Joe Gaddis and Henry Co. are loaded with talent and I also like Melrose, KC, and Mitchell in the top five. Sullivan South is another team that has a real shot to end up in Cookeville if the playoff bracket falls their way.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The coaches in Class 5A have voted in Murphy Fair's Tennessee High School Football Magazine and here is their top ten.

1 Hillsboro

2 Henry Co.

3 Melrose

4 Knoxville Catholic

5 Mitchell

6 Gallatin

7 Beech

8 Clinton

9 Cleveland

10 Sullivan South

I'm not sure the Burros can win another title in this class, at least this year. Joe Gaddis and Henry Co. are loaded with talent and I also like Melrose, KC, and Mitchell in the top five. Sullivan South is another team that has a real shot to end up in Cookeville if the playoff bracket falls their way.

I don't know either, but with all due respect to teams from East TN, I think a team from West or Middle TN will win the state championship in 5A this coming year.

How in the world is Cleveland ranked that high? I mean they are a decent team but not a top 10 team. I would have thought Clinton would have been a little higher. I do think that Henry Co. will be the team to beat this year.

because we are going to do damage this year, lol. /blush.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" />

I love my Rhea Co. guys!!

GO Raiders!!

I dont think clinton is all that great. One great QB does not make the team. We'll see in the fall though.

Clinton has more weapons than just the QB. They have one of the best RB (Westin Hazelhurst) and TE (Joel Chapman) in the district! Now i will say that Clinton's defense has given up way too many yards over the years and they will be using a different type of defense this season. But Clinton hasnt won anything yet......i still think favorites to win the district or not......Clinton just needs to show up and take care of business and try not to let all the talk about being favorites go to their heads!! Anything can happen, thats why we play the game!

Now that there are six classes, the "Top Ten" isn't exactly elite status for some teams. There are only about 50 teams in each class. The top five would be more of an "elite" group but I realize that most all polls are done with a top 10.

So true!!!! If a team is ranked number 10 in the state they are only in the Top 20% of their classification. Having six classifications with +/- 50 teams in each division has done nothing more than weaken the competition even more. Each division should have a minimum of 100 teams & even then if you are ranked #10 in the state you are only in the top 10% of the teams in your division.

So true!!!! If a team is ranked number 10 in the state they are only in the Top 20% of their classification. Having six classifications with +/- 50 teams in each division has done nothing more than weaken the competition even more. Each division should have a minimum of 100 teams & even then if you are ranked #10 in the state you are only in the top 10% of the teams in your division.

More teams in the playoffs = more $.

No offense to either team but I still think the athletic curve is a lot larger for teams like Knox Catholic and Mitchell. They may end up doing great in the end but it is going to be a lot tougher.

I'll take the Top 22 from either Mitchell & Catholic & do well vs. most. Not enough depth with their enrollments. In Mitchell's case, they will need to come out of the gate faster than they did last year. They should with what they have back. Malone, Scruggs, Jenkins, Cole (who might be the best player in 2012). Catholic is basically playing in the equivilent of a 6A region with Farragut, Bearden, Maryville, Willam Blount. They also play Austin East, Webb, & Rhea Co. in non-district games. That said, while they both may be good 5A teams, they could both miss the playoffs.

ruse?

How come knox west isn't thrown in there i mean seriously they beat clinton if im not mistaken and they have better atheletes than alot of the teams on there. and sulivan south is gonna loose week zero to west they are gonna turn plenty heads this year im predicting 8-2 for they WHS rebel wit looses to maryville, and farrigut