Girls Travel Basketball

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMO

The only reason to join AAU is Nationals.

Tax exempt status is also a good perk if you pay for Level 3.

My daughter played in Nationals last year and it was a great experience for her.

This year we started a local team and played 50 games.

We did not join AAU since we felt we could not get past substate.

But we played against AAU teams almost every weekend and no

tournament barred us because we were not AAU.

Next year we may join AAU and play D2.

Things that I think would help participation include:

1- More AAU only tournaments...at good locations.

2- Changing AAU rule that girls can only compete at different age levels

if they play for same club. (we have 2 girls that this effects).

My daughter plays with Team Pride in AAU events, but can not play

with a local team in AAU National Events. This rule favors the large clubs.

The small clubs with 1 or 2 teams go YBOA so they can keep good players that

play AAU.

3- Allow more than 2 teams to advance past substate. Maybe allow 4 teams and

make State a 16 team tournament (make it a "big deal") so that going there would

be a great experience like Nationals.

Got some other ideas, but gotta get ready for Orlando....go Team Pride !

How about changing the executive committee to reflect people that are actually involved in AAU. Im not speaking of everyone on the committee.

I think its strange to ask how to get more teams involved when there are committee members who dont even take there teams to AAU nationals.

Dual allegiance isnt a problem(nike-aau) because that happens even at the top of AAU at the national scene.It does however seem to be a conflict.

I think the first thing to do is decide if you want to be AAU any longer.There seems to be an identity crises.

How about changing the executive committee to reflect people that are actually involved in AAU. Im not speaking of everyone on the committee.

I think its strange to ask how to get more teams involved when there are committee members who dont even take there teams to AAU nationals.

Dual allegiance isnt a problem(nike-aau) because that happens even at the top of AAU at the national scene.It does however seem to be a conflict.

I think the first thing to do is decide if you want to be AAU any longer.There seems to be an identity crises.

I agree.........the main problem is that TN AAU is run by folks who don't even participate in AAU events anymore. Give control back to the folks that have supported AAU for years. However, change also needs to happen at the National level as well. Bobby Dodd and Eddie Clinton are completely clueless when it comes to local AAU.

Robpride, hello from Orlando. Your girl is doing great, we appreciate you letting us have her this year. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

I agree.........the main problem is that TN AAU is run by folks who don't even participate in AAU events anymore. Give control back to the folks that have supported AAU for years. However, change also needs to happen at the National level as well. Bobby Dodd and Eddie Clinton are completely clueless when it comes to local AAU.

Robpride, hello from Orlando. Your girl is doing great, we appreciate you letting us have her this year. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Thanks for you and the girls accepting her as one of your own........I know shes enjoying being around that bunch!

Tell Jackie to behave.....Dont want her to get upset and leave a trail of bodys

Each team tha plays AAU has a vote at the meetings. Very few people come to the meetings. I'm not sure the executive committe is the problem. I'm not sure how their make-up keeps other teams from playing AAU. While they and the chairman bring the agenda everything is voted on and they each have only one vote each. The agenda can be added to with a simple vote of the attendees.

I do like the idea of a bigger state tournament.

I understood when I asked the question there would be some to post what's wrong with AAU and I'm ok with that. I'd really like some help as to what can be done to make it better. Those may be so connected that its impossible to split them, but what will bring more teams to play AAU?

Commander while I appreciate your task at hand. The one club one vote principle has no merit. The Majority of the clubs there are now tied to one another.....With possibly the exception of the Memphis Elite.

I can name clubs that are all tied to one another but it would serve no purpose. I could also show up at every meeting and my vote would do nothing.

And all these clubs that are merged make up the executive committee.

You know all this.

Now after ive said all of this.....We still love AAU...The State and Nationals are the best thing going for the younger athletes.

Im sorry i cant offer suggestions to pick up attendance.....The state of Tn is allready one of the most represented states at Nationals.

Each team tha plays AAU has a vote at the meetings. Very few people come to the meetings. I'm not sure the executive committe is the problem. I'm not sure how their make-up keeps other teams from playing AAU. While they and the chairman bring the agenda everything is voted on and they each have only one vote each. The agenda can be added to with a simple vote of the attendees.

I do like the idea of a bigger state tournament.

I understood when I asked the question there would be some to post what's wrong with AAU and I'm ok with that. I'd really like some help as to what can be done to make it better. Those may be so connected that its impossible to split them, but what will bring more teams to play AAU?

'DON'T MAKE ME LAUGH , THIS ORGANIZATION IS RUN LIKE A BAD RELATIONSHIP WHERE THERE IS ALWAY SOMEONE CHEATING, SO WHO DO YOU TRUST TO MAKE THE RIGHT DECISION WHEN EVERYBODY INVOLVED IS WRONG. just a thought....

AAU IS SUPPOSE TO BE NON PROFIT???? EVERYWHERE I LOOK IT IS ALL PROFIT, WE DO NOT HAVE FREE TOURNAMENTS. REMOVE THE SCOREBOARD AND POINT SYSTEMS IN THESE LEAGUES AND MAKE IT ABOUT THE PLAYERS AND YOU WILL NOT HAVE A PROBLEM. 'SMOKEY MT SPORTS' HAS FREE TOURNAMENTS , HIGH LEVEL OF COMPETITION AND EVENTUALLY WILL REALLY BLOSSOM BECAUSE OF IT.

Robpride is right and has been for a long time, the vote means nothing when the majority of the teams are under the same umberalla and have their own agenda.

HOST SOME OF THE SUB STATE AND STATE TOURNAMENTS IN CHATTANOOGA/CLEVELAND GIVE THE EQUAL OPPORTUNITY TO ALL PLAYERS. THESE AREA PLAYERS FIND THEMSELVES COMBINING WITH GA AND AL, JUST TO GET REAL COMPETITION WITHOUT THE DRIVE. LEVEL THE PLAYING FIELD LET EVERY TEAM KNOW WHAT IS AT STAKE WHEN YOU WIN STATE, HOW MUCH MONEY OR NO MONEY ? WHAT ARE YOU REALLY PLAYING FOR IN EACH DIVISION? MAKE THE AAU ORGANIZATION AN OPEN BOOK. HOST SOME OF THE STATE MEETING IN OTHER COUNTIES.

1. I can only assume that after what happened this year at the state level and then just opening Nationals up to anybody , sounds like the whole organization need to adopt the "kid first rule". Make the sancationed tournaments more affordable.

2. Remind the referee the game isn't about them , or their personal agenda believe it or not you hammer down on the free coaches , yet the paid officials insite most problems.

3. Give the teams that win sancationed tournaments a real reason to win, substate means nothing... you don't get a medal, a plaque or anything. Supposely the top two teams go to STATE , wow what does that mean? U go to state and lose all of your games an don't make it to Sunday. Here is the problem with that picture the teams that work their hometown butts off to get to the state, is then beat 91-10 by a team that has gone all over and outside of the STATE to get girls to compete at state level when they have no intention of even going to the Nationals. So teams began to look at why waist your time joining AAU when there are other leagues less expensive now getting the same amount of Exspoure with less drama. (HOW DO YOU FIX THAT)?

AAU GIRLS BASKETBALL STOP BEING ABOUT THE GIRLS A LONG TIME AGO, BECAUSE GIRLS GROW UP TO BECOME WOMEN AND THERE ARE VERY FEW WOMEN IN THE DECISON MAKING ROLE AT AAU GIRLS BASKETBALL ORGANIZATION. IF YOU WANT TO KNOW WHAT WORKS ASK THE GIRLS. POLL THE PLAYERS , GET SOME REAL FEED BACK. IF YOU LISTEN IT WILL BE A WIN WIN SITUATION . WOMEN ARE NOT ALWAYS RIGHT BUT THEY ARE PAINFULLY HONEST.

AAU in Tennessee is considering some changes that may bring more games to participants. I know there are several travel teams that play in Tennessee but do not play AAU. If your team is not participating in AAU now, what would help influence you to participate in AAU?

I applaud TN AAU for wanting to do more within TN. More SRT's would be nice and I like the idea of allowing more teams from sub-state to advance to state. However, we must be careful not to allow the state tourney to be lessened or de-valued by allowing less than qualified teams into tourney. Some sub-states in some age groups may have another few teams that can compete but some sub-states are not even full or have a big drop off in competition after the first two teams.

Also, some teams will not register for AAU regardless, choosing to play just locally while others like to just trophy hunt and complain about no competition. Some of the younger teams have many kids from the same school playing and this is fine too. In summary, no matter what TN AAU does some teams will still not participate for their own reasons. Just my 2 cents worth.

I applaud TN AAU for wanting to do more within TN. More SRT's would be nice and I like the idea of allowing more teams from sub-state to advance to state. However, we must be careful not to allow the state tourney to be lessened or de-valued by allowing less than qualified teams into tourney. Some sub-states in some age groups may have another few teams that can compete but some sub-states are not even full or have a big drop off in competition after the first two teams.

Also, some teams will not register for AAU regardless, choosing to play just locally while others like to just trophy hunt and complain about no competition. Some of the younger teams have many kids from the same school playing and this is fine too. In summary, no matter what TN AAU does some teams will still not participate for their own reasons. Just my 2 cents worth.

I have no problem with more SRT's, in fact I think that's a great idea. This would allow more teams from Tennessee to play at nationals. However, i don't think their should be more teams at the state. If more teams make it to state then the girls would have to play more games. If a team cannot finish in the top 2 in sub-state then how will they be competative at the state level?

Just a thought for sub-state play.

Middle TN already has a North/South division.

Why not a West-North/South and an East- North/South Division.

Memphis and Chattanooga could be the southern, Tri-cities and Martin-Union City the Northern.

I-40 from Jackson to Knoxville extended could be the dividing line. :mrgreen:

It would make the pool play a bit bigger at state. :o

It would also make sub-state play closer to home. :o

• 1 month later...

We visited the thought of playing AAU ball in the 2009 season, but for several reasons we opted not to. First off, things were not very clear regarding how you end up qualifying for Nationals, ie. sub-state, state, and regionals. Secondly, when we looked at what you would have to participate in, as it was put to us, sub-state to state if qualify great, if not, then regionals until you do. When the costs were added up for just one team, you could end up spending an enormous amount of money just to get to the Nationals! Being an organization that has 8U girls/boys and up, this was no longer an option for us this year. We opted to compete at other associations offered such as USSSA, USBA, and NAYBA to name just a few. We were able to participate against great competition at a fraction of the cost for AAU, and compete more often. I, personally, have never been to an AAU Ntls, but we had one parent who had in the past and after attending these other organization's Ntls stated that he really saw no difference and competition was the same at both events.

Most everyone that I speak to has the mind set that if a team does not participate in D1 AAU then they aren't any good. I certainly don't agree with that. I feel that teams that play with AAU have been fortunate enough to be able to raise the money or better yet, get a sponsor. I think that is great! But, what about the teams or organizations that are new to the traveling b-ball world? Of course, teams just starting out will have difficulty obtaining any serious sponsorships, and fund raising in this time of the economy raises little money in the broad scope of expenses. So, when you compete and win at the AAU Ntls, are you really the best of that age group? or just the best of that age group who could afford the costs involved?

I think if AAU wants to help everyone involved, they need to take the emphasis off of D1 and look at their tournament fees. I was recently at the BMS racetrack and spoke to some men who had been in coaching for over 20 yrs. The concensus of conversation when AAU was broached was 'they got out of AAU when it became all about money'. That is a sad statement to hear. AAU seems to have a lot to offer, but as these other organizations continue to grow, I see teams like ours playing these other organizations in lieu of AAU. I do agree that changes have to be made and how the AAU chooses to do that remains to be seen.