Knox West 09

Rebelfan06

Sullivan South will be a good test for West right out of the shoot. I hope West proves me wrong and does beat Farragut and Catholic! I would love to see West have a great season and make a deep playoff run!

I would too, i mean they have plenty offensive and defensive weapons to be successful in really and truthfully comes down to the coaches putting the right players in the right place. I look for them to turn alot of heads this season and to make playoffs. But only time can tell right???

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

but how can every one be so sure about loses to beardon and cathlic west has maintained being competitive with maryville in recent years and i dont think that beardons gonna be that good this year, yea they have a very speedy runnin back in devrin but will they be able to do it with jus him, what if he gets hurt? As far as cathlic goes that will be a good game decided by less than 10 points ither way i look for west to be a wild card this year for a playoff spot

Bearden has more than Devrin Young, although Young is certainly a special talent. They had somewhere in the neighborhood of 35 sophomores last year. They will be deep and talented. With improved QB play, they could be the at the top of the region in my opinion.

West will be very good as well. I believe they will surprise more than one team. I also believe West will make the playoffs.

Just a casual Knox Co football fan with no real strong feeling for any school, but here are my thoughts regarding West and others in the greater knoxville area.

I think historically West has started slow and improved over the course of the season. I have not really studied their schedule, but if they catch a break in scheduling, they may surprise/upset some teams they have historically struggled against. Bearden for example.

If they are truly returning 17 starters, they should be good, since they were competitive late in the year.

Who are the D1 prospects? I just saw the News Sentinel list of top 25 in TN and no West players were listed. 2 form Farragut and one from Catholic if i recall.

I would think you have to believe Farragut, MAryville, and Catholic are losses. And the key games are propably sullivan south (given West's history of slow starts) and Bearden. I look for Bearden to be a little better than people think. Last year, making the playoffs with a lot of underclassmen caught my eye. Young is special.

Farragut could make a deep run if Browning is healthy. He is a good , true drop back passer. The Purdy kid is a above average running back, and i anm sure they will have a big physical O line.

thoughts?

I just don't think I can see West winning more than 4 games this season. They have a very difficult schedule from top to bottom. I can't picture them beating Farragut, Catholic, Maryville, or Sullivan South. After a rebuilding year last season, Fulton will be back as usual, which will be a tough game; plus, I think that Bearden is a step ahead of West as well. That leaves games against Hardin Valley, Lenoir City, Heritage, and William Blount. A 4-6 record seems reasonable, but anything better than that would be pretty impressive, given their schedule.

i say they will go 8-2..losing to farrugut and maryville..upsetting catholic

No way they go 8-2 nor 7-3 for that matter - they would have to upset too many teams for that to happen. With there schedule 6-4 is a HUGE success I predict 5-5 but would like to see them win more but also I am realistic. They have had some pretty good teams of late and I think 6-4 is the best regular season they have had in years and the schedule is more tough than ever. Potential lossses are Maryville, Bearden, Farragut, Catholic along with Fulton, Sullivan South & William Blount very capable of knocking off West.

Who are all these D1 Prospects mentioned in these post - did West get in alot of transfers??

Not sure the last time West won 8 or 7 regular season games, not in this decade. but ill say they lose to Catholic, Farragut, Maryville, Bearden and possibly to Sullivan south(although i think they have played in a traditionally week region) nd Fulton. So i bet they will go 4-6, 5-5, and at best 6-4. They are in a much tougher region then they have been the last 2 or 3 years.

West's D-1 prospects are made up of Austin Sowell, Preston Williams, Brad Reid, Tanner Tompson, Charlie Kolinsky, and possible steven Gybeson.

Rebelfan06.

Not so sure about all of them. Kolinsky has a good motor, and a lot of experience, but he is not a D1 prospect. His cousin, Keenan was at CAK, but signed with Vandy for baseball. Tanner Thompson could be a prospect, @ kicker, but not LB. Reid would need to grow quite a bit to be considered for a D1 spot on the OL/DL, and or get lot faster in order to be looked at as a DE/LB. Sowell is a nice player. D1, probably at a non BCS school. SoCon, MAC, OVC, etc.

As a team, West will have plenty of talent, probably get more on down the road too. Kids opting away from Fulton to West will help. Still, the vast majority of it will not be D1 talent. Also, West has had good talen in previous years. Both Childs, Jake Ryan, Kenny Esterly, Jack Wagner, Alan Whaley, Klotzbach, Saderfer, Cortez Drew, etc., and they still had trouble getting in the playoffs. Their district is loaded with good teams. I do think that West gets better as th year goes on, and they could upset some folks later in the year. They play both Bearden & Catholic in weeks 9, 10.

ruse?

As a team, West will have plenty of talent, probably get more on down the road too. Kids opting away from Fulton to West will help.

Ruse ... do these kids have a choice in going to Fulton or West ??? What did ya mean by that ???? Why would a kid opt away from a power like Fulton to go to West ???? If you bring up Wagner and Carlos Campbell then those kids wore the welcome out at Fulton and couldnt go back there ....

Rebelfan06.

Not so sure about all of them. Kolinsky has a good motor, and a lot of experience, but he is not a D1 prospect. His cousin, Keenan was at CAK, but signed with Vandy for baseball. Tanner Thompson could be a prospect, @ kicker, but not LB. Reid would need to grow quite a bit to be considered for a D1 spot on the OL/DL, and or get lot faster in order to be looked at as a DE/LB. Sowell is a nice player. D1, probably at a non BCS school. SoCon, MAC, OVC, etc.

ruse?

Rivals has Reid at 6'0" and 215 pounds. Has he gotten D-1 offers as a rising Junior????? If so, what position are they projecting him to play in college.