New Bearden Coach

manmac7

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I stated in my last post in the thread about Pharr going to CAK...I believe that Bearden should/will go after Coach Rice from Karns. He does the most with the least out of any coach I've seen and in my 4 years at Bearden(ignore the username) , I believe we beat them 1x and we had WAY more talent then them. He's also a good player's coach and a very good friend of Buckner's so I'm sure he'll be recommended. Also, the guy from Sevier Co wouldn't be a bad choice either, bc he's turned around SC to a respectable program now and he seems like a very solid coach. Sullivan from Catholic might be a stretch, but I say him bc he is an alumni of BHS but I doubt they can pay him enough. I REALLY REALLY hope that they don't go for Matthews (guy who Pharr replaced at CAK) or Wright from West...BHS would be set back to how they were before Buckner if they hired either one of them.

• 2 weeks later...
I talked to someone on the board for selecting the new coach the other day.

So far:

15 applicants

Coach Rice from Karns

Coach Downs from AC

Bearden Assistants

the west coach

and some others. Those were the most notable.

Talked to Coach Downs from AC the other day, and he had taken his name out because he said AC had really helped his wife get a teaching job, and probably the Head Softball job at AC. He said that he was going to stay at AC.

I talked to someone on the board for selecting the new coach the other day.

So far:

15 applicants

Coach Rice from Karns

Coach Downs from AC

Bearden Assistants

the west coach

and some others. Those were the most notable.

On the board? What board is that? That's not how Knox County selects personnel to fill open positions. It's basically done by the recommendation of a principal to the Central Office human resources for approval. In the process of hiring coaches, the principal will often have the Athletic Director do the initial gathering of resumes and the first round of interviews, but most principals will make the final decisions. I've never heard of any kind of "board" or "committee" being convened in a Knox County public school for hiring coaches.

Well maybe it was morristown west? I'm not sure. Umm... The board. I'm not sure how hiring coaches works in knox county. I ran into a guy at the ball park and we got to talking and his son played there and the guy was part of a "board" that helped to pick the coach? I'm just the messenger :flower:

So what about the new hire?

What do you think? How bout it Bearden faithful?

As a Bearden alum and former baseball player there (I graduated a couple of years ahead of him), I'm happy to see Jack get a shot at heading the program. He has certainly paid his dues as a long time assistant.

That said, he does have his work cut out for him. Being a head coach and being an assistant coach are totally different in terms of responsibilties.