Does Impact control Williamson County Volleyball

pagefan

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure if your comment was made with sarcasm or not. For the past two years I've volunteered to help any kids at SportsCom on Thursday nights fron 4:30 til 7 or so. The city has been great and they charge the standard $2 to get in. I get nothing but free admission to do this.

We have been running 25-30 kids, but with high school starting it will drop off during the season. We're trying to start a home school team. I have enough kids, it's just hard to find them games or scrimmages.

I'm not bashing club ball, it's a key part of volleyball. My two main concerns are:

1. Too many parents are under the impression that if their daughter plays club for 5 or so years her college will be paid for. It should be stressed to the kids that very few will actually receive scholarships. With the economy as it is, maybe money is better spent fully funding kid's college funds.

2. Eventually this will hurt our national teams. Very few parents are going to spend 2-4k a year to play club. This cuts down the percentage of athletes who play, therefore the players to choose from will be limited. If there is a great athlete out there who wants to play but can't afford club there should be other alternatives to keep them involved and not frustrated enough to quit. If they are behind at 14 years of age, they probably will get frustrated and find another sport.

But, so you understand, Williamson county does not have a total open zoning policy. Transfering does require changing residence to be eligible the next season or sitting out a year if not. The reason their policy is like it is was some rezoning difficulties a few years ago When newer schools were built. Does Memphis students have to sit out a year or change residence to become eligible?

In accordance to TSSAA, a HS player transferring from one HS to another would have to sit out unless they meet the approved transfer requirements to be eligible. If they move prior to going to that HS or having an athletic record at that HS, then they would be eligible.

So even if the City of Memphis allows them to change schools via there Open Zoning, the student's athletic eligibility would still be determined based on TSSAA rules.

Is the answer you were looking for?

interesting posts all of you. just weighing in from an outside club/county. The williamson county clubs mentioned here do a great job of providing opportunities to play volleyball for those girls who can afford it and yes, it is expensive. the coaches do get paid decent wages. the school teams mentioned are powerhouses in the areas as well and club play does help, although rutherford county and others close by are certainly doing a great things for their girls as well. There are other less expensive clubs in the area that girls can play for and they also provide good programs, such as Spike and Dickson Co., just to name a couple- there are others.

Our county, Maury, is/has had economic struggles in recent years, yet we have been able to give those girls interested in playing club in our area the opportunity to do so as well. Maury Monarchs (and I believe Middle TN Twisters, if they don't mind my including them, is about the same) offer the same amount of practice time and tournament play, quality uniforms and equipment, and knowledgable coaches (who also are involved with school teams) as the "bigger" -select, impact, etc clubs offer their non-power level teams. Our coaches DO NOT get paid and the fees are half as much as the impact, select, or nashville one clubs. True, our school teams aren't finishing as high up the ladder as some others in the area, but we most certainly are improving our level of play and perhaps, in time, will have teams finishing better and better.

I am not saying this to advertise for our club, I am merely pointing out that there are clubs available for "every pocketbook" and parents merely need to shop around to find the club that is "right" for their child's needs, their financial status, or whatever their criteria is in choosing a club.

As adults, let's stop bashing the club programs etc, and allow the girls to play the game we all love, no matter what level, age, program, etc.

By the way, did any of you check out the volleyball played at the Senior Olympics this past week? great job williamson county, specifically, BGA, USBA-Select- Tracey--- Thanks to all!! Sure didn't hear any complaining from all those participants, men and women, ages 50 and up!! Bet lots of them were parent, grandparents, etc of volleyball players from across the state!

While nobody knew it, I expected both of these posts and for a number of reasons I know of what both of these people do and first hand saw the product Monarch put out. I have heard what is going on at the sportcom and the network of VB conscious people in the town which shares the sport with others and some of those 50 and above who compete in tournaments, coach in school, etc are involved pretty good in something they love. Both of these teachers, first hand, have answered the question about what I posted and what counties all around the state are doing in their own way to promote the sport. Just finding a place to play and let all know what is going on and getting people started enjoying the sport. Its not unlike basketball, soccer, football, etc but if interest is there, a club is around or like in Columbia, they have made the comment that they might be able to get any Power players out of there but they sure can elevate the level of play in schools all around the area. And they do. And some of their players are on school teams all over the area. The same is true in Rutherford. Reread my post about my reflections on this summer when county teams from a number of counties competing in age groups and the amount of fans circling the 8 courts in the competition. Monarch was likely there. I see Monarch tee shirts everywhere. And vb1 may or may not. Pagefan, maybe was concerned about something if she had looked around she may have found the answer to some of her questions. Social issues of playing with friends is a big issue but VB is starting everywhere at every level.