Dissed by Kiffin

possum

I'll have to go with Kiffin on this, and add a couple more thoughts to the stew. First, TSSAA should take a little trip down to FL or TX and see what they are doing that causes them to be such hotbeds for tallent. For the past few years, the TSSAA has passed rules and regs that seemed to be aimed at making our teams, not just football, kinder, gentler, and more politically correct. And, you would think that it would be northern states that would be better since the boys can practice year round with out roasting in the summer heat, but it is the hotter states of FL and TX that are the hottest states. Second, I don't care from where the boys come, and neither do the fans. If they did, Coach Summit would have been run off years ago. Not have her name written on the floor. If they are winning on the field, their'll be butts in the seats. And if there are butts in the seats, then there will be coverage by the networks. And if there is coverage by the networks, there will be highschool recruits that will long to be a part.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll have to go with Kiffin on this, and add a couple more thoughts to the stew. First, TSSAA should take a little trip down to FL or TX and see what they are doing that causes them to be such hotbeds for tallent. For the past few years, the TSSAA has passed rules and regs that seemed to be aimed at making our teams, not just football, kinder, gentler, and more politically correct. And, you would think that it would be northern states that would be better since the boys can practice year round with out roasting in the summer heat, but it is the hotter states of FL and TX that are the hottest states. Second, I don't care from where the boys come, and neither do the fans. If they did, Coach Summit would have been run off years ago. Not have her name written on the floor. If they are winning on the field, their'll be butts in the seats. And if there are butts in the seats, then there will be coverage by the networks. And if there is coverage by the networks, there will be highschool recruits that will long to be a part.

Also how many other states is a High School football coach hired to coach football and that's all. In Tennessee we hire coaches to coach football but he also has to be a Math, English etc.. teacher.

The other problem with Tennessee's in-state recruiting is their inability to lock down the top talent out of the Memphis area. It seems like every couple of years Tennessee keeps losing out on top players from that side of the state (ie Marlon Brown). This isnt just a problem in football, but also basketball. I dont know what the deal is down there? Do the coaches and/or kids just not feel any loyalty to their state school? Now they did two others from West Tennessee, Teague and King, but lets not lie Marlon Brown was the one they REALLY wanted.

Its my opinion that we might as well split that section of the state and give half to Mississippi and the other half to Arkansas and be done with it...haha :thumb:

The other problem with Tennessee's in-state recruiting is their inability to lock down the top talent out of the Memphis area. It seems like every couple of years Tennessee keeps losing out on top players from that side of the state (ie Marlon Brown). This isnt just a problem in football, but also basketball. I dont know what the deal is down there? Do the coaches and/or kids just not feel any loyalty to their state school? Now they did two others from West Tennessee, Teague and King, but lets not lie Marlon Brown was the one they REALLY wanted.

Its my opinion that we might as well split that section of the state and give half to Mississippi and the other half to Arkansas and be done with it...haha :roflol:

Well one thing is there are I think 5 or 6 SEC schools closer to Memphis than the University of Tennessee.

Its my opinion that we might as well split that section of the state and give half to Mississippi and the other half to Arkansas and be done with it...haha :angry:

Memphis might as well fall off into the Mississippi in regards to UT football. Kiffin would be smarter to focus on the Atlanta area.

As one other person already mentioned there are other SEC much closer to My city than UT i.e. Ole Miss, Miss State, UK, Vandy, Arkansas, and Alabama... Not to mention as far as most big time prospects in football from Memphis are concerned they'd much rather play for these schools if they have a choice:

UGA (Marlon Brown), LSU (Jeremy Macklin), Miami (Graig Cooper)... Not to mention these schools that I know have more of a relationship with Memphis area coaches than UT does: Ark. State, MTSU, U of Memphis, So. Miss, Auburn. I can't forget the D2 schools that Memphians usually have a love for: Tenn. State Univ, Jackson State Univ. Univ of Ark. @ Pine Bluff, Alcorn St., Miss Valley.

UT has to come correct if they want the Speed and Size that lies in West Side of the State however they usually don't... and as far as Basketball is concerned.... HA

Its my opinion that we might as well split that section of the state and give half to Mississippi and the other half to Arkansas and be done with it...haha :roflol:

Memphis might as well fall off into the Mississippi in regards to UT football. Kiffin would be smarter to focus on the Atlanta area.

I think things could change in another year or so with regards to Memphis players when/if Tennessee gets back to the top 10-15 nationally but following recruiting, Kiffin and staff are going after the bigger named guys regardless of where there at. I think if there is a player in Tennessee who is ranked high nationally at his position like Jacques Smith they will really go after them but if not I don't think they will spend a lot of time going after a guy just because he is from Tennessee.

As one other person already mentioned there are other SEC much closer to My city than UT i.e. Ole Miss, Miss State, UK, Vandy, Arkansas, and Alabama... Not to mention as far as most big time prospects in football from Memphis are concerned they'd much rather play for these schools if they have a choice:

UGA (Marlon Brown), LSU (Jeremy Macklin), Miami (Graig Cooper)... Not to mention these schools that I know have more of a relationship with Memphis area coaches than UT does: Ark. State, MTSU, U of Memphis, So. Miss, Auburn. I can't forget the D2 schools that Memphians usually have a love for: Tenn. State Univ, Jackson State Univ. Univ of Ark. @ Pine Bluff, Alcorn St., Miss Valley.

UT has to come correct if they want the Speed and Size that lies in West Side of the State however they usually don't... and as far as Basketball is concerned.... HA

Let me just add to that list of names. Currently, as I type, the best duel threat QB in the state, Barry Burnetti @ MUS, has already commited to WVA. One of the best WR in the state, Kiewone Malone @ Mitchell, has already committed to Alabama. Last year, Hunter, a RB out of Kingsbury signed with Ole Miss. The list goes on and on with SEC caliber talent that doesn't go to UT. Memphis and its surrounding area is a HOTBED of SEC caliber football talent. Orgeron is quite aware because of his exposure when he was the head coach at Ole Miss. But I don't think he won over any of the area coaches when he was there. Don't kid yourself. Every year Memphis will have 8 to 10 or maybe even more SEC caliber players. And I would imagine the Nashville area would have about as many as well. Case in point, I don't see Golden Tate II in UT orange either, I think he is a big time play maker for Notre Dame. The bottom line is this. UT will not get all of them ... or even most of them. UT may get a few ... if they play their cards right. They will cherry pick who they want ... but as BlackHavenSenator stated ... if they don't come correct ... unless that young man grew up in a UT household ... they may not get him at all ... just ask Marlon Brown.

Memphis people always say what great players they have, every year Memphis has 8-10 Div. 1 prospects. Name 8-10 div 1 players that have come from Memphis the last 2 years. Don't include all of western tennessee or parts of Arkansas, just Memphis.

Also, Tennessee has their choice of players. They consider things like home life, GRADES, attitude, etc.

Memphis people always say what great players they have, every year Memphis has 8-10 Div. 1 prospects. Name 8-10 div 1 players that have come from Memphis the last 2 years. Don't include all of western tennessee or parts of Arkansas, just Memphis.

Also, Tennessee has their choice of players. They consider things like home life, GRADES, attitude, etc.

allamerican2014:

All of this information I am supplying can be easily verified from Rivals website. I am quite sure that I probably missed some guys ... but these lists that I will give will easily satisfy your request. These student athletes are currently listed on each of these schools roster's meaning that they have aquired and are maintaining the necessary grades to be on the team as well as meeting all of the above mentioned attributes that coaches look for in student athletes.

From the Class of 2007 I quickly tracked down 10 guys and the list is as follows:

Name of Student Athlete, University, Listed Position, Name of H.S. Attended

1. Darius Barns, Southern Miss, DE, Westwood

2. Garrick Jones, UT-Martin, QB, Whitehaven

3. Darelle Nash, UT-Martin, LB, Houston

4. Deandre Jones, Vandy, LB, MUS

5. Barrett Jones, BAMA, OL, ECS

6. Tenarius Wright, Arkansas, LB, Whitehaven

7. Marcus Hightower, U of M, WR, Whitehaven

8. Marcus Rucker, U of M, WR, Whitehaven

9. Donald Law, U of M, TE, Hamilton

10. Dontari Poe, U of M, DT, Wooddale

From the Class of 2008 I quickly tracked down 14 guys and the list is as follows:

Name of Student Athlete, University, Listed Position, Name of H.S. Attended

1. Jeremy Pryor, Tennessee State (TSU), WR, Whitehaven

2. Davis Brent, TSU, OL, Overton

3. Derrick Webb, Colorodo, LB, Whitehaven

4. Julian Jones, Arkansas State (ASU), Ath, Germantown

5. Nick Nelms, ASU, LB, Houston

6. Gene Robinson, Univ. of North Carolina, DB, Whitehaven

7. Marlon Brown, UGA, WR, Harding Acadamy

8. Austin Long, UGA, OL, Briarcrest Christian

9. Gabriel Hunter, Ole Miss, RB, Kingsbury

10. Greg King, UT, LB, Melrose

11. Randy Powell, U of M, Ath, Kingsbury

12. Jimmy Robinson, U of M, DT, Fairley

13. Patrick Ligon, Kentucky, DE, CBHS

14. Martavious Neloms, Kentucky, DB, Fairley

Like I said ... I may have missed some, but that's what I could gather from a quick search mainly using Rivals database. 2009 looks to be another bumper crop of talent. My my my my my ... Memphis' cup overfloweth with remarkable young men. Currently, I have heard that Barry Brunnetti that amazing duel threat QB @ MUS has verbaled to WVU. The way I am hearing things though is that there are some SEC schools (Lane Kiffin and the boys) are starting to put the full court press on the young man. (How he got away from Tommy West baffels me to no end!) If memory serves me correctly ... Johnathan Brown @ CBHS and Justin Maclin @ Ridgeway ... both of whom are LB's are said to have verballed to LSU, or they are close to doing it. I know that Harrison Jones the TE from ECS has verballed to BAMA as well as Kiewon Malone, the 4-star WR from Micthell High School. Nick Saban hasn't wasted any time I see. The other verbal that I know about is Cortez Bowen at Trezevant High School. It seems that Southern Miss has caught his fancy. It's early into the season and I know quite a few more are comming. I'm really interested to see who signs O.C. Brown the OL out of Manassas High School. His highlight videos on You Tube have him VERY HIGH on a lot of coaches lists. Then there are the three guys at White Station, Fred Harvey, Anthony Hayes, and Julian Burton, that I feel strongly will all go to D-I schools. Whitehaven has some as well such as Ferlando Bohanna, Chaz Moore, Fred Flenorl, and Tony Jefferson. I just read where Ole Miss is looking at three additional players at Ridgeway along with Justin. The article mentioned the Lane twins and Kyron Tucker. East has Jazzy Parker and Jamison Knox. The list is quite long. All of these young men and several that I have not mentioned are talented enough to play D-I. Quite a few of them will.

And these are just the guys I have heard about. I'm sure there are some others that I haven't even considered or have heard about. (Especially the guys that play in the trenches)

Look ... It's a numbers thing. We have the population and therefore we have a lot of D-I talent. We aren't saying this just to try to sound impressive nor are we bragging. It's just a fact. I LOVE it because I get to see a lot of talented guys, year in and year out. If I'm fortunate enough to see them on TV on Saturday morning ... it's just that much sweeter to me.

Like I said ... I would expect Nashville and it's surrounding areas to have just as many on a year to year basis, just like Memphis does.

As far as these Memphis guys going to play football in Knoxville ... well it's just up to the individual young man. But as you can see from the list. Just because he's a 4-star player in Memphis, TN ... there is no garuntee he attends the University in Knoxville. Like I said ... if he didn't grow up wanting to go there ... and quite a few of these young men fall into that category, then they may or may not attend. I don't think any of these young men have anything against UT. They just aren't "yearning" to go there either.

Wow, he went there.

Do not agree, how many of these ranked studs end up duds because of the hype? Other than this web site most players do not get much recognition in the media. Kiffin fell a notch in my book over this statement from the Chattanoogan.

Unfortunately, in Tennessee, as much as we love our state, we do not have a lot of great high school players there. Those are the facts, those are the stats. This article pointed out the stuff we already researched when we took the job to develop a plan. The plan had to be we had to create national attention immediately. I don't think people give you four or five year plans any more, especially in this conference. None of you guys in here are going to say, If you're not winning in year two or three, let's give him a couple more years. That's not how it works, especially down here.

O wonder BJ Coleman left Tennesse, maybe he was not given a chance because he was from Tennessee. If Kiffin was really stat oreinted BJ would be the starting QB right now. That is the fact.

Very disapointed with his statement. Words like here, or down there, Yankee go home.

OK then explain the Reveiz kid at LB. TN Walk on who Kiffin has nothing but good things to say.

BJ was a spoiled Blue Blood. If he had guts he would have hung in there like lots of TN greats. Thank goodness guys like Rick Clausan, Daryl Dickey, Andy Kelly and others who helped the programm didn't give up.