Heat index monitor

CoachMikeLHS

I had a suprise visit by our AD Wednesday during our rainy practice. It was 85 and wet. He asked if I had my heat index monitor with me. I did, and all was good.

Just reminding you all to make sure you have it with you at all times.

If all of us coaches keep this under control, it will keep the T$$AA off our backs.

Have a great season!

MC

It shows the real temp, and the heat index. Which is usually a lot hotter than what is really is. So if it is 97 outside, but the heat index is 105, you have to suspend outside activities and move indoors. It also has standards you have to follow concerning breaks and water.

Here is the link...

http://www.tssaa.org/Handbook/heatpolicy.htm

Anyone who attended a rules meeting should have gotten this drilled in.

It shows the real temp, and the heat index. Which is usually a lot hotter than what is really is. So if it is 97 outside, but the heat index is 105, you have to suspend outside activities and move indoors. It also has standards you have to follow concerning breaks and water.

Here is the link...

http://www.tssaa.org/Handbook/heatpolicy.htm

Anyone who attended a rules meeting should have gotten this drilled in.

Yes I was drilled also. :roflolk:

I had a suprise visit by our AD Wednesday during our rainy practice. It was 85 and wet. He asked if I had my heat index monitor with me. I did, and all was good.

Just reminding you all to make sure you have it with you at all times.

If all of us coaches keep this under control, it will keep the T$$AA off our backs.

Have a great season!

MC

And quite possibly prevent an unfortunate heat stroke or possible death of a player, I think that would be far worse than the TSSAA on your back. :lol:

And quite possibly prevent an unfortunate heat stroke or possible death of a player, I think that would be far worse than the TSSAA on your back. :thumb:

That pretty much goes without saying. I have mine at every practice. Yesterday was the only day in the last 2 weeks it even came on. The one I got doesn't register the heat index unless it gets hot enough to start to worry about. It has basically been at thermometer.

If you look at that guideline chart, the cut-off to suspend practicing is not that high of a temp/humidity combo, IMHO...seems like with true August weather, a lot of practices could be suspended...

D :thumb:

Exactly....You have to be very careful where you place this monitor. Obviously, if you leave it in your vehicle, it will register off the charts. And, if you leave it out in the direct sunlight on any hot surface, it is not very accurate. With mine, I have to make sure that it is not touching anything that could change. I am about to get one of those ones in the link above. That is what the county AD recommended after I had already purchased one. I am going to have the rec league mount the one I got at the park by the concession stand, so everyone can get to it. And buy the SkyScan one.

If you look at that guideline chart, the cut-off to suspend practicing is not that high of a temp/humidity combo, IMHO...seems like with true August weather, a lot of practices could be suspended...

D :thumb:

Exactly....You have to be very careful where you place this monitor. Obviously, if you leave it in your vehicle, it will register off the charts. And, if you leave it out in the direct sunlight on any hot surface, it is not very accurate. With mine, I have to make sure that it is not touching anything that could change. I am about to get one of those ones in the link above. That is what the county AD recommended after I had already purchased one. I am going to have the rec league mount the one I got at the park by the concession stand, so everyone can get to it. And buy the SkyScan one.

Just a little FYI with the SkyScan one, It says on the box, " USE IN SHADE"

What monitoring unit do you use ?

D :roflol:

We use the SkyScan Thermal Indicator TI-Plus Model

http://www.ambientweather.com/skthinti.html

It's a very good investment. This morning at 10:00 the HI was 99

You don't keep the monitor in the freezer do you? Care to make a prediction on the October game between Ryan and JPII. Glad to see you are still kicking, I thought last year you moved out of state, not too many posts, but we know why. :lol: