09-10 Hampton Bulldogs Basketball: Updates

Hampton seems to have some chemistry problems right now. They seem to be very out of sync on Offense especially. A lot of guys don't know when to shoot and when not to. NOBODY is helping to set up their teammate at all. I like several of the sets that Hampton runs but I would love to see what the could do in a motion offense with more screening. I guess Hampton has never run a motion offense? Sometimes things that worked good 30 years ago are not the best things to run now. Hampton has a hard time getting good shots! I think Hampton will be fine, they had great chemistry all summer and beat several teams that were much, much better than Elizabethton. No offense to the Clones, but they were! They just need to get it together and quick. Somebody needs to distribute the ball and be a point guard for Hampton to be really good. I don't know if they will ever get that or not?

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TD youre exactly right...the Dogs need more motion or flex offense, but the problem is they don't have anyone to teach it to them. The old offenses and defenses (1-3-1) is so outdated that opposing teams are tickled to death to play against it. Just put a couple of decent shooters in the corners and you can have a field day. Hampton proved it last year. If we had coaches that were on top of things they would adjust or watch films and see what needs to be done. We also have a glory hog or two that panics if they dont get to shoot the ball every time down the floor. GOOD COACHING can fix that problem too. I noticed several times the big guys would post up and beg for the ball but no one wanted to give it up, especially #13! Your right also, what worked 30+ years ago doesn't work now. How many parents and fans would like to see a quicker paced game from Hampton, instead being 8 points down with 56 seconds to go and trying to walk the ball down the floor and set up a play that didnt work all night. If the boys are gonna go to the state tourney they are gonna have to do it themselves. They have the talent but they just got to play better as a team and yes it is early I can only hope they hurry and get things worked out. But guys be careful and don't make a mistake because that wonderful coaching staff is ready and eager to "jerk" you out of the game if you do!

I've not watched Hampton play this year and really don't know whats going on, but Ido know that the bashing has been going on or several years. The same stuff was being said before these coaches took over. I'm quite sure these coaches arn't perfect and I'm also sure these players make mistakes. I also know that none of the players or coaches are getting paid big money to put on a show for the fans. Trust me ,I'm sure all of the above wants to win every game. Basketball can be a very selfish sport and its generally the adults fault, they can't stand to see someone outscore the kid they are watching. Other sports are not nearly as bad , jeolousy is a cancer and will destroy a team, People bashing the coaches and individual players makes it even worse. Ihave no one involved in this ,but Ido know a few of the kids and I'm a fan of these kids. I'd like to see them be able to enjoy theie highschool days. Its going to be over before they know it and it would be nice if they could have some fond memories to carry with them. This team if you can call it that is going to self destruct at this rate. The best advise I could give is everyone get on the same page. They do have quite a bit of talent,talent don't win games. They have to be unified or as one. I doubt anything I've said on here will make any difference, but at least I tried. Its either get on the same page or watch this team self destruct. Could be a miserable season for everyone involved, Its not supposed to be that way.

Well said Pujo... I don't think I could have said it any better...for pete's sake...the footballers just got there and people expect perfection...give me a break...these players AND coaches need everyone's support...that is if you are a TRUE Bulldog and care about the program...and NOT just care about an INDIVIDUAL player...they could do big things the next 2 seasons but only if everyone get's on board and quits tearing them down all the time.

Well Deputydog I in no way am or intend to bash any of the players. I hope they can win it all this year! And as for making excuses for the football players just getting limited practice, the Cyclone players played last weekend last Friday to be exact. They didn't seem to be out of sinc too bad. It all comes down to preparation. Thats where we are lacking and have been and will continue to be if things aren't changed for the better. We need more team play from EVERYONE and more players involved. I don't recall ever seeing a 1 or 2 man team that could beat 5. Selfishness can be stopped from the BENCH. Remember there is no I in team. And yes this time of the year the boys are learning many new things and are a bit hesitant or rusty but it still doesn't give the "coaches" right to jerk the players out for every little mistake and brow beat them down at halftime and after the game. A little pat on the back sometimes goes a long way something that isn't in JW's vocabulary, never has never will. Bottom line, he can't relate to the kids anymore! You got to give respect to earn respect!

TD youre exactly right...the Dogs need more motion or flex offense, but the problem is they don't have anyone to teach it to them. The old offenses and defenses (1-3-1) is so outdated that opposing teams are tickled to death to play against it. Just put a couple of decent shooters in the corners and you can have a field day. Hampton proved it last year. If we had coaches that were on top of things they would adjust or watch films and see what needs to be done. We also have a glory hog or two that panics if they dont get to shoot the ball every time down the floor. GOOD COACHING can fix that problem too. I noticed several times the big guys would post up and beg for the ball but no one wanted to give it up, especially #13! Your right also, what worked 30+ years ago doesn't work now. How many parents and fans would like to see a quicker paced game from Hampton, instead being 8 points down with 56 seconds to go and trying to walk the ball down the floor and set up a play that didnt work all night. If the boys are gonna go to the state tourney they are gonna have to do it themselves. They have the talent but they just got to play better as a team and yes it is early I can only hope they hurry and get things worked out. But guys be careful and don't make a mistake because that wonderful coaching staff is ready and eager to "jerk" you out of the game if you do!

well i told myself that i wasnt going to post on here anymore but here goes. this stupid coacht does alot more harm than it does good for high school basketball throughout the state of tennessee. i dont understand what some of you people have accomplished that makes you believe that you are so much more knowledgable than our coaches. did it ever occur to you that we may have lost a game because the players did not play their best game, and the other team played good. Not because "they need more of your "flex and motion offense" and "less 1-3-1". my guess is that you are a jealous parent or uncle that and wants your kid/nephew to be catered to by the coaches and rest of the team. i am under the impression that you are much older than me and it would be benificial for you to stop and think about what you are posting before you get on here bashing players and coaches. im just tired of listening to self proclaimed coaches all around me everytime i go to watch a ball game. i honestly believe that this team has a bright future in front of them on the basketball court if the parents and fans will let the players play and the coaches coach. thats just my 2 cents.

Well well did we hit close to home? I'm not on here bashing any players and I don't have any kin on here. I have watched and played more basketball than most. No I'm not wanting a coaching job but couldn't really do any worse. As much talent as these guys have they probably could play street ball and do as good. So if you don't like CoachT and think it's so bad then why do you get on here and read it? I guess you're just nosey like everybody else... :D

Well well did we hit close to home? I'm not on here bashing any players and I don't have any kin on here. I have watched and played more basketball than most. No I'm not wanting a coaching job but couldn't really do any worse. As much talent as these guys have they probably could play street ball and do as good. So if you don't like CoachT and think it's so bad then why do you get on here and read it? I guess you're just nosey like everybody else... :D

first off i support the coaches and all of the players, if thats what you mean by hitting close to home i guess youre right. also i believe you referred to #13 being a ball hog. i would consider that bashing. he is playing pretty good right now in my opinion. i think coach white has played a game or two and watched a few games of basketball as well, he deserves a little more respect than you are giving him. i agree the talent is there, but talent dont win games teams win games. we just got the football players back and as a team we are not in sync at all right now. your complaining and coaching strategies and are not going to bring this team together. give them time they will be fine.

I surely hope they will be alright. I always wish them the best of luck! And I too am an avid supporter physically and financially!

oh my bad. from reading your other posts it seemed like you got some satisfaction out of seeing them lose so you could get on here and tell the coaches all the things that they are doing wrong. you can consider yourself a supporter if you want to. i just think it is a shame that out of all the good fans that hampton has there is a few in the stands like you.