Trousdale County @ Mayfield, KY......

Well, I'm a little disappointed that this thread has strayed from its original intention, which is Trousdale County vs. Mayfield. ... It should be a great game, maybe one of the best in both states this season.

Trousdale, despite a few injuries coming in, has great skill players and does an outstanding job in the wing-T. The players' hard work in the weight room has certainly paid off. Several players have become good at several different positions, which creates depth while keeping the top athletes on the field. Again, weight room work and conditioning comes into play here. And, it's pretty cool to have a head coach 16 games into his tenure w/o a loss.

Mayfield is a much better team than the one that was 7-6 last season. The offense stepped on the practice field the first day of preseason drills as being two TDs better than last year's bunch. The Cardinals have amazing skill people and will try to keep TC off-balance with a nice mix of run and pass. The team has become equally effective out of the I-formation and the Tony Franklin spread set (btw, he was a Mayfield assistant in the mid-90s). Big play is the goal on every snap.

Like most all games do, it's going to come down to who controls the line of scrimmage and who can make plays on defense. Defense will be critical b/c both teams are so skilled and efficient on offense.

So, if possible, let's bring the discussion back to Trousdale vs. Mayfield. And, come Saturday night, find a way to get to Graves County High School in time for the 6 p.m. kickoff. ... Coming via I-24 thru Ky and down the Purchase Parkway? Well, you'll get to Mayfield and pass by Exit 27, then pass by Exit 25, then look for the big school on the right. One of the huge campus buildings has an Eagle on it with the words "Eagles Nest." That's GCHS's 4,500-seat gym (it is a basketball state, after all). Take that very next exit and go right.

Take a bus, take horse-and-buggy, take two and call me in the morning but find a way. It could be one heckuva football game. Game Of The Century going in; Instant Classic coming out. ... Hey, that's pretty good. I might have to use that.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm gonna make my pick....

Do I pick Mayfield, where I work, whose team I hear about constantly ??.....Do I take a big gulp of that Red and Black kool-aid ??...Do I pick Trousdale County, who the last I saw of them they were beating the brakes off my beloved alma mater 52-16 in a State Championship game in 2005 ??.....

When you cross state lines, especially a Tennessee team going into Kentucky, watch out....You really have to watch it when the team from Kentucky you are playing is very good.....

I'm drinking and I have that soured look on my face while doing it....

Mayfield-24

Trousdale County-21

I'm gonna make my pick....

Do I pick Mayfield, where I work, whose team I hear about constantly ??.....Do I take a big gulp of that Red and Black kool-aid ??...Do I pick Trousdale County, who the last I saw of them they were beating the brakes off my beloved alma mater 52-16 in a State Championship game in 2005 ??.....

When you cross state lines, especially a Tennessee team going into Kentucky, watch out....You really have to watch it when the team from Kentucky you are playing is very good.....

I'm drinking and I have that soured look on my face while doing it....

Mayfield-24

Trousdale County-21

Maybe add a few Rolaids to the mix. :lol: I won't make a prediction. Looks to be a very tough game

for the Jackets of TC, but of course, it won't be our first, Just a wait & see for me.

I saw on the web, that Graves stadium seating capacity is 3800. Good size stadium. Can you

advise the capacity on the visitors side? Not really sure of the crowd that TC will bring. They were

planning to charter a bus, but I heard this AM that wasn't available. The 3 hr. ride will likely keep

some at home. :lol:

Grunt, how good is those Jackets looking this year? I listened to a little of the game last week they played in..Sounded like they took it to whoever they were playing

powerp, the Jackets looked good Fri. nite vs Macon Co. Got a few banged up a bit, but think

most will play. Game time decision for some, I guess. Got a tough game Sat. nite vs Mayfield, Ky.

Will take a major effort to pull this off, from all indications. Mayfield, like SP & TC, has a long

rich tradition of winning. They were young last year, but seem to be on track this year.

We'll just line up & have at it..see what happens. LOL

Good luck vs Grundy Fri. nite.

A hundred years ago I played against Mayfield and later coached against them. They were brutal back then.

True story.....Mayfield is one of the reasons that Kentucky had to re-write the age eligibilityrule in that state. They used to hold back the best 5th and 6th graders and they not only would repeat the grade but be eligible to play another year.

I coached a Freshman team that had some 13 14 and 15 yr old freshman on it...mostly 14. Mayfield came to our field to play. The team bus pulled up and was followed by five cars. Players piled off the bus and the guys who drove popped open the trunk and got their helmets and shoulder pads out and joined the rest of the team.

Mayfield kicks off to us....our 14 yr old "inexperienced QB" calls off signals in a high pitched voice and after three plays we punt. Mayfield breaks the huddle and thie QB who has a 5 o'clock shadow comes to the line...looks over the defense and calls an "audible"....play goes 60+ yds for a TD. We got trampled.

State gets so many complaints they change the rule that you have to prove academic need to hold back students and if they were held back they could not play sports that year.

Mayfield used to ahve a lot of 19 and 20 yr old seniors back then. That is my story and I am sticking to it.

The old football coach there was Jack Morris and you had to be really tough to play for that guy

A hundred years ago I played against Mayfield and later coached against them. They were brutal back then.

True story.....Mayfield is one of the reasons that Kentucky had to re-write the age eligibilityrule in that state. They used to hold back the best 5th and 6th graders and they not only would repeat the grade but be eligible to play another year.

I coached a Freshman team that had some 13 14 and 15 yr old freshman on it...mostly 14. Mayfield came to our field to play. The team bus pulled up and was followed by five cars. Players piled off the bus and the guys who drove popped open the trunk and got their helmets and shoulder pads out and joined the rest of the team.

Mayfield kicks off to us....our 14 yr old "inexperienced QB" calls off signals in a high pitched voice and after three plays we punt. Mayfield breaks the huddle and thie QB who has a 5 o'clock shadow comes to the line...looks over the defense and calls an "audible"....play goes 60+ yds for a TD. We got trampled.

State gets so many complaints they change the rule that you have to prove academic need to hold back students and if they were held back they could not play sports that year.

Mayfield used to ahve a lot of 19 and 20 yr old seniors back then. That is my story and I am sticking to it.

The old football coach there was Jack Morris and you had to be really tough to play for that guy

:unsure: great post !! Ive never seen mayfield play but they better go round up a few of them twenty year olds for this game :lol: them jackets will be swarmin