Midway @ Wartburg

banjo

I believe if Wartburg was a little better on offence, they would be tough. Midway is pretty good. Losing in the first game can set the tone for the rest of the season. That's what happened to Monterey last year. It's hard to get up, when you start out 0-2. Been there, got the tshirt.

Whats wrong with the offense? A former colleague of mine is the defensive coordinator down there. I havent talked with him since spring, but it looks as though the defense is playing pretty well holding a team to 14. Is the offense just not clicking, is it penalties, turnovers? Whats the deal? Seasons young 0-2 doesnt mean 0-10. Good luck Wartburg

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One thing that was a determining factor in this game was 2 4th and 1 situations the dogs failed to convert. One of these was inside Midway's five yard line. The other was deep in Green Wave territory, as well. While they played pretty good defense, their pass rush was virtually nonexistant! Also the dogs are going to HAVE to get a passing game going or teams will be able to read them like a book. They will have a heck of a test going to Oneida this week. The indians aren't used to being 0-2 and you KNOW they'll be ticked off!!

One thing that was a determining factor in this game was 2 4th and 1 situations the dogs failed to convert. One of these was inside Midway's five yard line. The other was deep in Green Wave territory, as well. While they played pretty good defense, their pass rush was virtually nonexistant! Also the dogs are going to HAVE to get a passing game going or teams will be able to read them like a book. They will have a heck of a test going to Oneida this week. The indians aren't used to being 0-2 and you KNOW they'll be ticked off!!

I agree on all points. No passing game & if it wasnt for the QB I dont believe we would have much of a rushing game. He is shifty & makes something out of nothing often. I also agree that there wasnt much of a pass rush Midways offensive line did a good job of holding the dogs out. The defense played well, but still gave up a big play on 2 deep passes that led to both of Midways scores. Thats the biggest downfall in the first 2 games defensively giving up too many big plays. Offensively, geez we are in BIG trouble there, do we even practice offense? It looks like we tell the QB to go run for his life & make something happen.

Im not giving up on my Dawgs I know they can do it, but they better start fast!

I know I offfer my opinion about the dogs more than the bulldog fans would like but I am actually finding it hard to be right on my game predictions. The Wartburg program is probably the very worst program in the state and that is not something that I enjoy saying.

I don't feel like things will get better out there until they (the community) face reality and deal with their problem. It is obvious on here that the fans don't have a grasp on what the situation really is. Did you honestly think you would beat Midway?

I don't think they have much coming up from middle school and they need to start building from there. One thing that good programs have is control over their feeder system like jr pro, middle school, and high school. Wartburg seems to have many boy's club all stars but no real players that in my opinion is where it all starts.

Good luck to the dogs for the remainder of the season and I won't be talking anymore trash on here. Wartburg has become a sad situation and no longer a joke, as far as I am concerned.

I believe if Wartburg was a little better on offence, they would be tough. Midway is pretty good. Losing in the first game can set the tone for the rest of the season. That's what happened to Monterey last year. It's hard to get up, when you start out 0-2. Been there, got the tshirt.

Whats wrong with the offense? A former colleague of mine is the defensive coordinator down there. I havent talked with him since spring, but it looks as though the defense is playing pretty well holding a team to 14. Is the offense just not clicking, is it penalties, turnovers? Whats the deal? Seasons young 0-2 doesnt mean 0-10. Good luck Wartburg

All I have to go on is the game with Monterey. They had 9 turnovers and bogged down in the red zone. Monterey played pretty bad and still won.

Jacket old buddy, I understand your dislike for Wartburg football-after all, I played football for Wartburg back in the day and the feeling for Coalfield was mutual. But for you to say that Wartburg is "probably the very worst team in the state" is just nonsense! No they're not a juggernaut by any means, but they're not half bad either. In my humble opinion, they've opened up with two pretty good teams and they've come up a little short both times. I think they can only improve from this point. I honestly think the Wartburg-Coalfield match up this year will be very interesting in deed! After that game, maybe some things will be solved......or maybe not.

SWC,

I am just going to state some stats for you and you may take from that what you want.

Since 2005 Wartburg has a record of 1-41 according to coacht.com

Since 2005 Oakdale has a record of 4-38 according to coacht.com

I think by looking at the records to say wartburg is one of the worst programs would be a fair thing to say.

Well, SuperD, I'm well aware of their past records and yes, I know they're very bad. But I wouldn't be too quick to compare them to Oakdale, or Coalfield or Sunbright for that matter. None of those schools have played the likes of Alcoa, Cak, Loudon, Sweetwater and the like. If they had, I don't think those teams would have fared much better. All I'm trying to say is that Wartburg are an improved team and their record SHOULD be better this year, that's all. And I didn't know that ANYONE including Jacket was an authority on all the "bad teams" in the state.

Little compares to the schedules that our boys have played the last few years. I don't think you can compare the two either. Sounds like apples to oranges to me. The challenge is to get better each week, I would say that so far this season that has happened. You have got to walk before you can run.

I just don't think bringing up the past is very helpful 1-41 is behind us. I think by seasons end we will have won a few games. In time things will be fine.

The rest of this stuff on coacht as usual is nutts :roflol: