New IMAC

littlerock

As a basketball fan, I must say that Mo West is one of the most complete basketball teams I have seen in girls basketball. #1 is a smooth, graceful big girl, #2 is a low post presence, and the point guard is very fast. It will take a heck of a team to beat them.

As for the South-Doyle girls, they need to hit the weight room hard. They are very young and not greatly talented. They will have to outwork and out hustle teams to win games. They must get stronger. Next year will be here before we know it.

By the way, South-Doyle's overall record in the major sports (football and basketball) is 8-62. 4-26 in both girls and boys b-ball and 0-10 in football. Does anyone else find that alarming?

Alarming??? Why so? Did you think SD would fare better in the IMAC than in their previous conference?

Honestly I don't think they are much worse than last year...they are just playing tougher competition.

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why was South-Doyle placed in the IMAC ? It seems a little far to travel compared to the other Knoxville schools.

Hey Prince,

I was told by some of the administrations around the league that South Doyle requested to be moved into the IMAC. The league actually voted them in...and it was surprisingly unanimous. I say surprisingly because, as we all know, Cherokee and South Doyle are a considerable distance apart, and not a lot of schools were happy about it.

They also became the target to move into the league after Greeneville fled for AA...haha, just kidding, Barb! But seriously, it was either going to be Doyle or Greeneville when the realignment came.

Hope that helps explain it some.

Volunteer was another option, Raider. But they are on the very fringe like South Doyle. Plus, they played every sport in district 1 except football. So, it was natural to keep them up north. Cherokee, from what I understand, tried to go with them...but Rogersville is in that "no man's land." West and Central, I believe, were considered to some degree.

Knox Carter used to be in the IMAC...but that was many moons ago.

Why was South-Doyle placed in the IMAC ? It seems a little far to travel compared to the other Knoxville schools.

Hey Prince,

I was told by some of the administrations around the league that South Doyle requested to be moved into the IMAC. The league actually voted them in...and it was surprisingly unanimous. I say surprisingly because, as we all know, Cherokee and South Doyle are a considerable distance apart, and not a lot of schools were happy about it.

They also became the target to move into the league after Greeneville fled for AA...haha, just kidding, Barb! But seriously, it was either going to be Doyle or Greeneville when the realignment came.

Hope that helps explain it some.

Yeah I'm sure there are a couple more IMAC teams that wish they could flee this MoWest team this year....the move was certainly good for our football program as we played in our first ever state championship game. The jury is still out for the remainder of our programs. I think this was a good year for the Devilettes to be in the new conference...I do wish we could have kept more of our IMAC rivals on the schedule though...I am missin' my Patriot friends :thumb:

Volunteer was another option, Raider. But they are on the very fringe like South Doyle. Plus, they played every sport in district 1 except football. So, it was natural to keep them up north. Cherokee, from what I understand, tried to go with them...but Rogersville is in that "no man's land." West and Central, I believe, were considered to some degree.

Enjoy reading your comments and most of the time info is really good. But Knox Carter has never been in the IMAC in any sport.

Enjoy reading your comments and most of the time info is really good. But Knox Carter has never been in the IMAC in any sport.

Your'e exactly right. For two years while Coach Dale Chrisman was still the football coach at West, the Trojans played in the Knoxville district with Knox Carter, Maryville, Knox Central, etc. Knox Carter has never been in the IMAC.

As for what this topic is about, girl's basketball, I'm curious to see what everyone thinks about tonight's games in the semifinals and what everyone thinks the order of finish will be after Monday night going into the Region 1-3A tournament.

I'll take West by 20-plus over East, and Jefferson County over Sevier County by 8 tonight. I like West to win it, Jefferson County second, East third and Sevier County fourth.

There you go. Let's hear your picks!

I agree with you on the fact that West wins this tourney by as much as they wish. I hope they run the table all the way to state.

As for South-Doyle moving into the IMAC, I guess it really would not have mattered. Both basketball teams would not have been any more competitive in the Knoxville area. The girls did beat Carter twice, but they are in 2A. I don't think the football team would have beaten anyone in the Knoxville area, maybe Central. But at least the travel would have been better.

Your'e exactly right. For two years while Coach Dale Chrisman was still the football coach at West, the Trojans played in the Knoxville district with Knox Carter, Maryville, Knox Central, etc. Knox Carter has never been in the IMAC.

As for what this topic is about, girl's basketball, I'm curious to see what everyone thinks about tonight's games in the semifinals and what everyone thinks the order of finish will be after Monday night going into the Region 1-3A tournament.

I'll take West by 20-plus over East, and Jefferson County over Sevier County by 8 tonight. I like West to win it, Jefferson County second, East third and Sevier County fourth.

There you go. Let's hear your picks!

According to the records, Knox Carter was a member of the IMAC (at least in football) for the 1993 and 1994 seasons. In 1993, they were 7-5 overall, 3-3 in the conference. They were 2-4 in the IMAC in 1994. The other members of the IMAC during this two year period was Cherokee, Cocke County, David Crockett, Greeneville, Morristown West and Volunteer. The next year, 1995...the IMAC faded into history with the teams moving into various districts thanks to re-classification.

That concludes today's "IMAC History 101." Now...back to the hardwood action! :)

I'm not sure you realize how many radio's were tuned in last night throughout Tennessee when East and West played and the excitement when the two got within two the last quarter. The same was true when Memphis Overton and Central played the day earlier and the excitement seemed to rumble thru the State. 7AAA is broadcast with the Tournament Marathon on WGNS on the internet. Mt Juliet I believe might be broadcast also. All of this said, Internet TV is close but radio, while not catching up as quickly as thought, is playing a large part in connecting the State High School Sports Scene with some pretty good sports commentators and are being heard all over the State. A lot of people who are unable games are tuning in.

Hats off to MoEast who came out very well prepared and ready to play. It was obvious the coach had studied and adapted to the style of play of MoWest and had her girls motivated for an upset. I think we have all come to expect perfection from the MoWest team , I know I have, and this is wrong. It is much easier to play when you have nothing to lose and everything to gain but when you have the pressure of being #1 every opponent you come across will give it that extra push in hopes of being the one to knock you off. East had an awesome game and is extremely well coached but West pulled it out despite some difficulties and that composure in the final 3 minutes is why they are #1. Coach C has really brought them a long way since the beginning of the year. It was really great to see her enthusiasm and confidence in her team, always positive and ecouraging to her players. Sometimes a positive word to your players will take you a very long way...