Eurosportscoreboard Rankings Week 1

EHSoccer

BigG-

Coaches are suppossed to continue submitting their rankings to Euro, and that is how the top 11 gets established. Our coach told me he received an email from the person in charge of the euro rankings letting Coach M know that he needed to submit his rankings for the first week.

MVM -

The rankings currently on Euro are not last years rankings, at least not the A/AA and AAA. If you look at the game results you will notice they are this year's game results, that everyone in the top 11 was previously NR - not ranked - and that the results are for the time period "11/02/08 - present."

My bad, when I looked before it was last year's rankings.......With that said, I WISHED I HAD NOT LOOKED AT THIS YEARS STARTING RANKINGS. :thumb:

G...Tell me coaches are smarter than that.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BigG-

Coaches are suppossed to continue submitting their rankings to Euro, and that is how the top 11 gets established. Our coach told me he received an email from the person in charge of the euro rankings letting Coach M know that he needed to submit his rankings for the first week.

MVM -

The rankings currently on Euro are not last years rankings, at least not the A/AA and AAA. If you look at the game results you will notice they are this year's game results, that everyone in the top 11 was previously NR - not ranked - and that the results are for the time period "11/02/08 - present."

My bad, when I looked before it was last year's rankings.......With that said, I WISHED I HAD NOT LOOKED AT THIS YEARS STARTING RANKINGS. :thumb:

G...Tell me coaches are smarter than that.

MVM, all I can tell you is that I haven't been able to vote for 2 years, and I am not aware of one around here that does (at least on the guys side) in A/AA. Akula might know more for the girls.

According to EHsoccer, they are trying to get coaches to vote again, so I think that is a great start. Who knows... it is very hard to get responses back on a consistent basis, so it might not be Eurosports fault?

At least there is a ranking there. Without it (or Mjuhb) what else would we argue about (except for refs, oh, and running up the score, and private schools, and....) :ph34r:

Having read various opinions regarding rankings, here is some information for coaches. Regardless of your thoughts on the matter, eurosport does post rankings weekly and they are based on submissions from coaches in Tennessee.

Bill McCloskey at smyrna is in charge of the girls' season. After reviewing results for the week, coaches should submit their top ten to smyrnasoccer@yahoo.com for their classification.

The new euros are out now. There it is...don't shoot the messenger.

I can not speak for every class/poll but I do know that DII AA (Large School) sends an email out to every coach once a week and the coaches vote for the top 6 teams in the state. With school being out on Monday(Labor Day) we are one week behind. For this poll the coaches do vote which is the way that it should be since the coaches play all of these teams and gets to see them on a regular basis.

I can not speak for every class/poll but I do know that DII AA (Large School) sends an email out to every coach once a week and the coaches vote for the top 6 teams in the state. With school being out on Monday(Labor Day) we are one week behind. For this poll the coaches do vote which is the way that it should be since the coaches play all of these teams and gets to see them on a regular basis.

I checked on your comment about the weekly email and found that you are correct that an email is sent. To "every" coach, I doubt is as per BIG G's comment. But what I do know not every coach that gets an email responds and thus the rankings are skewed and the rest of us see the screwed results. Another of my HOs is that it matters not who votes, the results would be closer most weeks if done with 3 monkeys and a dart board. There is and always will be bias done the way it is. If they really wanted a quality report, they would use a panel and get consistent input from coaches dedicated to keep up with teams and spread widely enough to smooth regional and personal bias. :D

I checked on your comment about the weekly email and found that you are correct that an email is sent. To "every" coach, I doubt is as per BIG G's comment. But what I do know not every coach that gets an email responds and thus the rankings are skewed and the rest of us see the screwed results. Another of my HOs is that it matters not who votes, the results would be closer most weeks if done with 3 monkeys and a dart board. There is and always will be bias done the way it is. If they really wanted a quality report, they would use a panel and get consistent input from coaches dedicated to keep up with teams and spread widely enough to smooth regional and personal bias. :D

Water Dog,

They very well may have sent out e mails this season to coaches, though the ones that I am close to didn't get them. Because I am not the girls coach at CAK, and we have a new coach, that may be the reason we haven't gotten one.

I do hope that they start sending out e mails for the guys season again. I spent a LOT of time considering my votes, and did a lot of score comparison and research for any team that I wasn't able to physically go watch play. I also never voted for my own team. While some might think that is crazy, I think if each coach voted teams, but had to leave their own teams off the list, it would make for a much more honest and valid top 10. Many might disagree... it is just my opinion (and we all know what that is worth!!! :D )I also think that coaches should commit to putting a lot of effort into their votes, otherwise there will be no validity to the numbers, and people will just "throw out" the rankings.

I'll admit that there is no perfect way to do it, but it can be done better than it has over the past couple of seasons. But, at least it is there! I enjoy looking at them, even though sometimes I shake my head and go "what"?

Personally, I think MJUHB's ranking is the most accurate poll that is out there.

You don't make rankings on all the "what if's."

You create rankings based upon the results of the games played.

And, rankings don't actually matter. Take A-AA. West TN always has someone in the top 5. It never fails. And yet, come state time, west TN does jack squat every single year, while middle and east roll.

Sometimes I wonder if the CAK and FRA girls teams could have given USJ's boys a run.

[/rant]

EHSoccer, why do you seem to place so much trust on rankings, there is a tournament at the end of the year for four different divisions, eight teams in each division, providing that there are at least 8 schools that participate in that division.

Also, by this time each year every team has injuries, suspensions, grade problems etc. heck its girls soccer. I don't believe that any coach in upper east tennessee, knows squat about a team in Memphis. Having any poll for high school soccer is nothing but silly in the first place. its great for discussion and banter but it is not a measure of respect for a program, that comes in November.

EHSoccer, why do you seem to place so much trust on rankings, there is a tournament at the end of the year for four different divisions, eight teams in each division, providing that there are at least 8 schools that participate in that division.

Also, by this time each year every team has injuries, suspensions, grade problems etc. heck its girls soccer. I don't believe that any coach in upper east tennessee, knows squat about a team in Memphis. Having any poll for high school soccer is nothing but silly in the first place. its great for discussion and banter but it is not a measure of respect for a program, that comes in November.

Exactly my point. I do not. But I do think its ridiculous that theere are four different tournaments to determine four different state champs. And I would think that is one reason why the rankings during the season hold interest - euro has an overall poll just as mjuhb does but those team will never meet in a playoff to determine the best overall.

But I wonder why do people put so much trust/stock/interest/discussion in rankings from one person. Isn't it more extreme or ridiculous to think that one person has an idea of what is going on in ALL OF TN. I was shocked at the number of conversations that circled around weekly rankings on a blog site. When euros were brought up the reaction was...well...extreme from people that are apparently regulars on this site - "Euros are laughable. Euros mean nothing. Etc, etc, etc." I was surprised, especially when euro is collected from many coaching voices around the state. I was merely stating a case and using EHS as an example because it is the team that I know the most about.

I do think that the playoffs answer all questions...just surprised at the extreme reaction received when I posted the euro rankings. In posting them here I felt as though I was "treading on someone's turf."

That is my point.