V-T Game (Tennessee vs. Virginia)

THSVikings2004

Well, this rivalry has been lopsided for about the past 11 years or so. Both the Vikings and the Bearcats are coming into the game after convincing wins over district opponents; both teams are 2-0. The Bearcats have yet another new head coach in Chris Thurman, who was recently the head coach over at Gretna. Expectations are high for the Bearcats. Who wins this year's V-T game?

I say THS 35 VHS 14.

Cap in case you haven't heard, it's football season. :thumb:

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would say your prediction is about right...understand that the Bearcats run the spread option now with allot of speed at the skill positions but not much size in the line.

Coach Thurman stated that they will put as many in the box as they can and make us throw to win....well you gotta do whatcha gotta do I guess. But I think they will be out manned pretty bad up front. I hope they do well this year... just not this week :thumb: THS 41-VHS 12

How many other schools in this area have this longstanding tradition? Both schools have a blast this week preparing and anticipating. VHS has been on the losing side of this contest for quite some time but appears to have an improved team this year which may make for a more interesting game. I still look for the Vikings to outman them and wear them down. THS 35 VHS 14

New coach, new attitude, same mentality. The Bearcats have been slow out of the blocks during both of their first two victories.... but fought back hard behind their QB Bowers. If they come with that same game plan with the Vikings, this one will be over faster than.... well .... faster than last weeks game against Crocket. I really don't see a way the Bearcats can even make this one close. While the Vikings truly haven't played a suitable foe, they have grown as a team. The Viking front on both sides of the ball have been very impressive and IMO are way ahead of any set of HOGS that have come through the system at this point of the season. Making a long story short... our first test will be two Fridays from now against the HILL. IMO we have the best one two punch in Harman and Shepard.... without a doubt. Shepard only had 8 or 9 carries last week so I hope the coaching staff won't forget who has carried them for the last year and a half and give him a stats day against the Bearcats. Harman is the real deal and was impressive in every aspect of his game last week!! IMO once again... the decision to go with him as the starter last year is now paying off!! Knowing Taylor personally, I can only feel that he will continue to get better as the season goes on. Scary thought,,, for the Viking opponents that is. LOL :thumb:

42 to 14 Vikings

PS. Note: Chris Clark #48 has been a "logger" in the last two games, and will have a breakout game against the Bearcats as he continues to "lays the WOOD" on D. Listen for his name and watch for his number.... this kid is exciting to watch!!!!!!!!!!! :thumb:

Good to see ya on here Cap1! Looking for a big win Friday against the Bearcats!

Your comment about the coaches forgetting Shepard I have to comment on.

No doubt he has done a tremendous job for us BUT the reason we scored 51 points is because we spread it around!!(that and Crockett wasn't very good) The best offense is unpredicatable and has many weapons. That's why we seem to never get past some of the big dogs because all we used was Shepard and they knew it. 30+ carries a game is ridiculous. We can keep him and the others healthy and come playoff time we can make some noise! Come on!! You have to admit that yourself! This year the Vikings are a TEAM-not just a one man show! And I for one am enjoying some of the big catches and other backs running the ball. GO VIKINGS!!

VikingT I agree that the Vikings seem to be at this point more of a complete team that we have seen in a while (I would say since 2004)... and that's exciting to see. I also agree that 30+ carries is extreme.... but to go from 30+ to just 8 carries is also extreme. And to know Shepard will be called on to put on the saddle when the game gets a little tight... and to see it happen already like in the second half of the East game, makes it a little hard to swallow when you don't see Shepard (a senior that has a good chance to possibly go mid major) held to under 100 yards... and not by the opposing teams defense. Most people and coaches know that stats are BIG in the recruiting factor, and his numbers at the end of the season can and will determine who recruits him (if he's doing his part in the classroom). I also realize that the TEAM and our QB needed that game last week, and for that reason I understand the reasoning for the game plan in that game... and I agree with it. It also put "the big dogs" on notice when it comes to their preparation for this years Vikings. But what I was saying is that now that the TEAM is now pretty much in a good grove, this game against the Bearcats could be a good opportunity for Shepard to pad that stat book. Knowing Coach Stubbs, he's probably thinking the same thing. In the game of football injury is always just one play away... so you can't really dwell on it. But I agree that 30+ carries would be pushing the odds.

I like the way the Vikings have spread the ball around thus far. Although I think it would be great for Keenan to get more carries, I hope they throw the ball and spread it around enough so the offense won't have as much difficulty transitioning from a one dimensional offense when we play tough defenses like Greeneville, DB, and South. Also with numbers as low as they are this year, the Vikes can't afford to go through anything remotely similar to what they went through last year.