Who will win the "Biggest Score Spread' this season ??

CHAMPDDS

As MVM will point out from the past, Notre Dame has sometimes been criticized for running up the score against opponents, and although I don't want to open up the argument again of why this happpens, ie. not taking starters out, unfair to penalized non-starters to not score, etc....I just noticed the East Hamilton -Sequatchie County score of 11-0, and thought I would toss that one out and see what else pops up...Can anyone beat that spread so far ?

D :thumb:

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hope you are not implying anything negative towards EHS with our Sequatchie game. There has been far worse. Check out scores on euro in a/aa this year alone in the top ranked teams section. EHS game was 5-0 before you could blink. Coach M made immediate subs, I heard he put restrictions on how the girls could score, and second half they possessed the ball for the first twenty-five minutes. There were saves to be made and the keeper simply let the ball go through her hands.

Nope, too lazy to actually search them out, your score was the biggest one in the paper I was reading..I am sure there are bigger spreads already, and will be pointed out by others...there have been some discussions on this forum in the past regarding running up of scores and the arguments supporting the causes, and reasons...Just like to start some debates again..bruhahahaha.... :thumb:

Okay...I looked it up....GREENEVILLE v CUMBERLAND GAP 18-0.....I don't care who you are, that is excessive.....WOW ! :thumb:

Not supporting running up the score in any way. But which one is more demoralizing, high scores which continually allow kids to work on improving their game in match-like conditions, or having a better team play keep away with another team for 40 minutes. Restrictions are only good until they become obvious to the other team.

Just playing Devil's Advocate

Not supporting running up the score in any way. But which one is more demoralizing, high scores which continually allow kids to work on improving their game in match-like conditions, or having a better team play keep away with another team for 40 minutes. Restrictions are only good until they become obvious to the other team.

Again, to rephrase my original post, I don't want to beat the dead horse arguement,so this thread is not meant to rehash the debate, only to posts scores and just see what a team is capable of doing (?)...will we see scores in the 20's ???? :thumb:

Again, to rephrase my original post, I don't want to beat the dead horse arguement,so this thread is not meant to rehash the debate, only to posts scores and just see what a team is capable of doing (?)...will we see scores in the 20's ???? :thumb:

We have in the past, though it is not frequent. I know of two, but they were in the guy's season.

I would say keep away. I liken it to a mom driving down a rural road in an SUV filled with children. All of a sudden, a deer darts in front of the vehicle and the SUV clips it. The SUV comes to an abrupt halt and they all get out to look. The deer is not up to run or walk, but is okay. So in that case, do you get back in the SUV and keep running it over?

I would say keep away. I liken it to a mom driving down a rural road in an SUV filled with children. All of a sudden, a deer darts in front of the vehicle and the SUV clips it. The SUV comes to an abrupt halt and they all get out to look. The deer is not up to run or walk, but is okay. So in that case, do you get back in the SUV and keep running it over?

Canes,

I think you have been on the boards long enough to know where I stand on this issue, so you know I am not for running up the score, but I do have to say that keep away is the WORST thing you can do. I tried it once, and it was awful. There are MANY types of restrictions a coach can put on a team that still will allow them to "go to goal".

I would imagine the huge goal disparities are in district games with 2 teams that MUST play, but are on two totally different talent levels. Wish there was something that could be done about that, but it happens.

BigG:

Would you be in favor of a mercy rule, similar to what baseball and softball have? If Team A is leading Team B by X goals in the second the game is over?

Actually, Euler, I had this rule when I coached in Florida about 15 years ago (sheesh... has it been that long?). It seemed to work well there. There was a team (Satellite Beach) that NEVER played more than one half of soccer in the regular season! They beat EVERYONE by more than 10 goals in the first half! I can tell you, I was on the other end of that (being one of the teams beaten by 10 goals) and it was nice to limit it to half and 10. (We actually were trying to ruin their stats by making them play a full game! Didn't work, though).