Who will win the "Biggest Score Spread' this season ??

CHAMPDDS

the disparity in several districts from top to bottom is often times quite large. it serves no purpose for the elite programs to run up such large scores, only fuels private vs public debate in most cases. for most the elite teams statewide district and often regional play is a preseason to state. see you all in chattanooga.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a mercy rule in Tennessee TSSAA. Both coaches must agree to it and at least the first half must be completed prior to ending the game. As one can imagine, getting coaches to discuss prior to a game is impossible. Once the game gets going its just a tough subject for either coach to bring up. The rule doesn't state what the goal differential is just that it can be invoked.

There is a mercy rule in Tennessee TSSAA. Both coaches must agree to it and at least the first half must be completed prior to ending the game. As one can imagine, getting coaches to discuss prior to a game is impossible. Once the game gets going its just a tough subject for either coach to bring up. The rule doesn't state what the goal differential is just that it can be invoked.

If Tennessee's going to have a mercy rule, it has to be better than that. I can't imagine any coach choosing to invoke the rule against his team, as that's essentially quitting. That would kill any confidence in his players, and confidence is something that any team needs but is especially needed on a team that is bad (I don't like this word choice, but I'm having trouble coming up with another word) enough to lose by 10 or so goals.

Knowing Coach Eiskamp as I do (and I have known him since 1989) I don't believe it was his intention to score 18 goals on this team. Again, the huge disparities in districts (even more so in the girls season than the guys) cause these types of situations to occur. I don't know much about Cumberland Gap, but they might be in for a long season... the game after Greeneville, they got beaten 11-1 by Elizabethton.

It is also easy to "judge a game by its score" so to speak. I wasn't there, so it is hard to point blame on Greeneville. I used to think so, and had commented about a much higher score disparity of a team a year ago, and then got to talk to the coach of the team, and he shed some light on the subject that made me understand how things got to that point. Sometimes we don't always see the whole picture, and we just see the end result.

Also, Coach Eiskamp won't get on here to defend himself, so I feel that someone should step in and give him the benefit of the doubt. I feel he deserves that.

BigG, c'mon! Isn't that just a little too Kumbayaa? Seriously. 18 Goals in one game? A lot of teams don't do that in practice without a defense. Can you imagine running down the field and running back and re-setting 18 times?

About the only plausible excuse I could see for Coach would be that he wasn't at the game. Then....maybe.

BigG...sometimes you crack me up.