PRIVATE VS. PUBLIC

dou

55, in some Disticts it might make you think so and I would not agree it would be best for all privates to be in DivII but DIA5 has 1 public and 5 private, DIA6 has 8 public and one private, DII has 17 public and 3 private and 5AAA has 7 public. DII has a number, maybe 5-6 schools in the Chattanooga area. Personally, this is a good mix with them being together and provides the right atmosphere between the population.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Simply put, public schools in DI, private & open zone in DII. Strange to me is why private students

& parents find the local public school not good enough, but have no problem whatsoever setting

foot on their field to play football. Why not just stay the heck away altogether?

Privates seem to ignore the fact that they not only cherry pick the best athletes, they do the same

for the academic kids as well. Grow your own like everyone else. JMHO

If you take out open enrollment schools and private schools you will loose more schools than you think. I Chatt. DI loose Hixson, Red Bank, Boyd, CCS, CLSA, CCA, Tyner, S. Pitt, Marion, Whiwell, Bradley, Cleveland,Silverdale, and Grace. I would imagine that there is many more. You will have more teams in DII than DI.

Yep, wonder how all the publics in the Memphis City Schools would feel about that plan....

Simply put, public schools in DI, private & open zone in DII. Strange to me is why private students

& parents find the local public school not good enough, but have no problem whatsoever setting

foot on their field to play football. Why not just stay the heck away altogether?

Privates seem to ignore the fact that they not only cherry pick the best athletes, they do the same

Here's a true story for you.

My oldest child went to public school, as I did. My next child had learning issues. He stayed in public elementary school, but he was zoned for a public middle school that was quite large. I was concerned that academically he would get lost in the shuffle if he was in a large school environment where he could effectively disappear, and I had seen that happen with a friend's daughter at this particular middle school. So I elected to send him to a private school for one simple reason: to insure that he would be in a smaller school where he could not get lost in the crowd. This occurred when he entered the 6th grade. Had he not had learning issues, I'm sure he could have received a quality education in the public school where he was zoned. But he only got one shot at school, a shot that would affect him for the rest of his life. I was determined to provide him the best chance to succeed.

He wasn't a star athlete or a star student. But he did in fact succeed. With the close attention that he received, he overcame his learning issues. This spring he will graduate from college (a public one) with honors and will go to graduate school next year.

Nice horse.

Hey grunt, I asked in a post the other day (a couple pages back) if you thought Boyd Buc "cherry-pick(ed) the best athletes" after you watched them play your TC team? You never answered. What think ye?

Once again, congratulations to Trousdale County, a highly successful small public school that has won more small-school state football championships than ANY small private school -- probably more than any two private schools. If they (and South Pittsburg) can do it, why can't others?

Strange to you, well football and academics, quality of education, are two different things entirely, why would you find that strange? Your statement about cherry-picking is simply wrong for the great majority of private schools, rather it is a uninformed biased statement that makes many, many people laugh. Your little corner of the state does not define private schools. And it goes on and on every year, the same old arguments, nothing changes. PS if you read the test scores and stardards of Tennessee public schools as a whole, it is pitiful, that would explain why many parents chose to send their kids to a tuition paying school. You get what you pay for except in many cases public schools. :thumb:

Hey grunt, I asked in a post the other day (a couple pages back) if you thought Boyd Buc "cherry-pick(ed) the best athletes" after you watched them play your TC team? You never answered. What think ye?

Once again, congratulations to Trousdale County, a highly successful small public school that has won more small-school state football championships than ANY small private school -- probably more than any two private schools. If they (and South Pittsburg) can do it, why can't others?

Wasn't ignoring your post, SS, been out of town for a few days, just got back & trying to catch

up a bit.

My opinion is, and always has been, privates have at least the opportunity to do this. A small private

school, that consistently comes up with this many athletes from a small pool of nearby residents,

is suspect. The enrollment has to come from somewhere else. If a star athlete walks in the door,

compared to the average Joe, who do you think is the likely choice? Will you find this decision on

paper? Of course not. Our friendly neighboring private, FCS, boasts of a nine county draw.

Does BB cherry pick? I don't know what they do, and won't claim to know. And, no one else is

going to admit to anything, so.........

As for South Pitt, I'll let them do their own talking.

Aside from that, Boyd played a great game Sat. vs TC. The team should not hang their head, they

gave all they had, and that's all anyone can ask.

Strange to you, well football and academics, quality of education, are two different things entirely, why would you find that strange? Your statement about cherry-picking is simply wrong for the great majority of private schools, rather it is a uninformed biased statement that makes many, many people laugh. Your little corner of the state does not define private schools. And it goes on and on every year, the same old arguments, nothing changes. PS if you read the test scores and stardards of Tennessee public schools as a whole, it is pitiful, that would explain why many parents chose to send their kids to a tuition paying school. You get what you pay for except in many cases public schools. :wacko:

You cherry pick your quote as well. Read the post! If public school isn't good enough for whatever

reason, why not just stay away altogether? Why do you want to play publics in sports? That was

the question you totally ignored.

You did answer part of my post, although likely unintentionally. Publics do usually have poorer test

scores. When you take good students from public schools & put them in privates, this happens.

So, it's not two different things entirely. Whether it's taking athletes or academic students, it

dilutes the pool for publics. No way around that.

Here's a true story for you.

My oldest child went to public school, as I did. My next child had learning issues. He stayed in public elementary school, but he was zoned for a public middle school that was quite large. I was concerned that academically he would get lost in the shuffle if he was in a large school environment where he could effectively disappear, and I had seen that happen with a friend's daughter at this particular middle school. So I elected to send him to a private school for one simple reason: to insure that he would be in a smaller school where he could not get lost in the crowd. This occurred when he entered the 6th grade. Had he not had learning issues, I'm sure he could have received a quality education in the public school where he was zoned. But he only got one shot at school, a shot that would affect him for the rest of his life. I was determined to provide him the best chance to succeed.

He wasn't a star athlete or a star student. But he did in fact succeed. With the close attention that he received, he overcame his learning issues. This spring he will graduate from college (a public one) with honors and will go to graduate school next year.

Nice horse.

Rick, I have no problem with that circumstance, however, few kids in private school will fall into

this category.

I'm truly glad to hear he is doing well, and wish him the best.

My issue is, & will be, if you are going to take our kids out of our schools, don't put them on a bus

and haul them back to our field to play sports. If you don't want your kid hanging with our kids in

school, ( and this is an excuse/reason I hear over & over ), why mix them with these bad kids

on Fri. nite? Play DII, you'll never have to deal with us again.

My issue is, & will be, if you are going to take our kids out of our schools, don't put them on a bus

and haul them back to our field to play sports. If you don't want your kid hanging with our kids in

school, ( and this is an excuse/reason I hear over & over ), why mix them with these bad kids

If we take "our" kids out of "your" schools and don't "put them on a bus and haul them back to "your" field to play sports" ---- would it be ok with you if along with our kids away from "your" school, we kept "our" tax dollars away from "your" school also? (didn't think so)

Strange to you, well football and academics, quality of education, are two different things entirely, why would you find that strange? Your statement about cherry-picking is simply wrong for the great majority of private schools, rather it is a uninformed biased statement that makes many, many people laugh. Your little corner of the state does not define private schools. And it goes on and on every year, the same old arguments, nothing changes. PS if you read the test scores and stardards of Tennessee public schools as a whole, it is pitiful, that would explain why many parents chose to send their kids to a tuition paying school. You get what you pay for except in many cases public schools. :popcorneater:

You cherry pick your quote as well. Read the post! If public school isn't good enough for whatever

reason, why not just stay away altogether? Why do you want to play publics in sports? That was

the question you totally ignored.

You did answer part of my post, although likely unintentionally. Publics do usually have poorer test

scores. When you take good students from public schools & put them in privates, this happens.

So, it's not two different things entirely. Whether it's taking athletes or academic students, it

dilutes the pool for publics. No way around that.

First, nobody takes students anywhere, their parents chose where they go. And if you blame private schools for the academic problems of public schools, there is no need for further discussion, you are not using your head. Your juvenile reasoning about staying away all together as concerning sports if you chose to attend private schools is just plain dumb. Talk about cherry picking, many, many parents pick private schools for other reasons than just not to attend public schools. They chose to go to private schools of their faith for example. I personally could care less about diluting a pool as you put it for sports purposes or academic ones. And to attrubute all the problems of Tennessee public schools are due to private schools taking as you put it the good students is so short sighted that a response is not even necessary. To go on you act as if private schools have some great desire to play publics. I know many private school parents and students and they could care less who they play. They just want to play and they have that right. I personally enjoy beating the snot out of some public schools. But that is me. What your post is saying in so many words is quite simple, if you don't do something exactly as I say it should be, then go away. A kind of love it or leave it, Archie Bunker atitude, I bet you have some other ideas about how things should be, but could not post them for fear of being banned from the web site. No need to respond, your ideas and my ideas shall never meet, thank, God. :)

PS In an earlier post, you cite an example of a private school that cherry picks athletes. This is apparently a school that you are familiar with. But your post seems to indicate that all privates do this rule-breaking same as this private school you are familiar with. You are dead wrong. I know private schools where the coaches are told that any activity outside the rules of TSSAA will be dealt with swiftly and severely. Financial aid is given on need based only, they follow the rules. So don't put all private schools in a barrell and expect most posters on this site who are very informed to believe you.

If we take "our" kids out of "your" schools and don't "put them on a bus and haul them back to "your" field to play sports" ---- would it be ok with you if along with our kids away from "your" school, we kept "our" tax dollars away from "your" school also? (didn't think so)

:evil: Now you're asking & answering your own question. Keep your kids, bus, & tax dollars. You

want to be private....stay private. Simple.

First, nobody takes students anywhere, their parents chose where they go. And if you blame private schools for the academic problems of public schools, there is no need for further discussion, you are not using your head. Your juvenile reasoning about staying away all together as concerning sports if you chose to attend private schools is just plain dumb. Talk about cherry picking, many, many parents pick private schools for other reasons than just not to attend public schools. They chose to go to private schools of their faith for example. I personally could care less about diluting a pool as you put it for sports purposes or academic ones. And to attrubute all the problems of Tennessee public schools are due to private schools taking as you put it the good students is so short sighted that a response is not even necessary. To go on you act as if private schools have some great desire to play publics. I know many private school parents and students and they could care less who they play. They just want to play and they have that right. I personally enjoy beating the snot out of some public schools. But that is me. What your post is saying in so many words is quite simple, if you don't do something exactly as I say it should be, then go away. A kind of love it or leave it, Archie Bunker atitude, I bet you have some other ideas about how things should be, but could not post them for fear of being banned from the web site. No need to respond, your ideas and my ideas shall never meet, thank, God. :evil:

PS In an earlier post, you cite an example of a private school that cherry picks athletes. This is apparently a school that you are familiar with. But your post seems to indicate that all privates do this rule-breaking same as this private school you are familiar with. You are dead wrong. I know private schools where the coaches are told that any activity outside the rules of TSSAA will be dealt with swiftly and severely. Financial aid is given on need based only, they follow the rules. So don't put all private schools in a barrell and expect most posters on this site who are very informed to believe you.

Quite a rant, but not much substance. Some truth in it though, you may like it/love it or leave it.

The name calling thing is unique though. Very original, must be the private curriculum.

The attempt at mind reading is equally childish. True, our ideas will never meet..thank, God.

It's not unusual for a school, high school or college, to advise the coach of the rules...with a wink.

Also, I never mentioned financial aid.

Anyway, off to bed with you...classes tomorrow there youngun. B)