PRIVATE VS. PUBLIC

dou

I guess your description of substance is love it or leave it altogether. And that is a statement of substance????? Not hardly. And no you did not directly mention financial aid, but by your statements about "with a wink", and "cherry picking", you certainly implied it. Your post simply says that private schools and you make no distinction from one private to another are dishonest. Now who is short sighted. You got your butt handed to you by some private in some sport in the recent past, too bad. PS as to mind readers there is no youngun here, you should follow your own advice. PSS some privates and some publics could care less about any rules, but that does not convict all publics or all privates. The various examples of condemning a whole group of people at any point in history is a very ugly memory.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess your description of substance is love it or leave it altogether. And that is a statement of substance????? Not hardly. And no you did not directly mention financial aid, but by your statements about "with a wink", and "cherry picking", you certainly implied it. Your post simply says that private schools and you make no distinction from one private to another are dishonest. Now who is short sighted. You got your butt handed to you by some private in some sport in the recent past, too bad. PS as to mind readers there is no youngun here, you should follow your own advice. PSS some privates and some publics could care less about any rules, but that does not convict all publics or all privates. The various examples of condemning a whole group of people at any point in history is a very ugly memory.

Actually TCs record vs private schools is far from lacking. Not the issue at all. Just don't like the

way they do business. In didn't imply financial aid, nor intend to. My issue is with "selective admissions".

No paper trail, all under the radar. Think what you like, paint it any way you like. The potential is there

at the very least. Also noticed you like to fly under the radar as well. You fail to show your location

or whatever school, if any, you are affiliated with.

Anyway, football season is over, Christmas is just around the corner. Take a few days off, then

recruiting season begins in earnest. :roflol:

Grunt, a lot of truth in your post and while my postion might be entirely different on the outcomes, it is evident your post with your background has found your "under the radar" and "paper trail" ,comments true. Because of that, either do something about it or do what I have done, IGNORE it. I have three on ignore on the obvious marketing efforts and arguments and name calling that this site now refuses to delete. One poster has been deleted four times this year and should be banned. While its not likely I would know all that has been posted, your wink statement plus the statement on the thread below this one on this forum says a lot. This has become an issue of businesses being set up for a profit that will have a way to pay for real estate and assets on the back of education and in some way religion.. Follow the paper trail. Grunt. But why does it have some acceptance. Maybe, because it has some emotional truth in some of the endorsers of these businesses. For about 50 businesses to affect the positions of 320 schools in any way may only say that public schools need to look to see the reason and if justified, find a way to correct any problems that exist. Arguing about it on this forum only gives those atempting to do it, arguments to continue. Your solution does provide a solution though and draws lines of confrontation that don't totally exist now. How cohesive are schools and relationships and communities going to schools 20-30 miles away????? IGNORE After all look at the paultry number of views on this subject. Grunt, understand that those posting on this subject you would think the way they are posting, that they speak for the world but they are nothing but wannabees and speak for nobody except their 10x10 space. They speak only to hear themselves post. They have no authority to say what they say except to market a product which they have globally nothing to do with. The only thing they have is an opinion just like you are I. These either post for themselves to hear or very few others. Getting a few students does not mean every one agrees with you or everything you might say. Thats a poor assumption or why would someone hide behind a post saying they speak for "The Two Catholic Schools in Nashviile and no one knows who they are. If in their own mind they think they are, posters have posted they are doing more harm than good and continue to do it and if confronted, insinuates causing trouble or they should not be posting. Grunt, keep making your points. I choose to just ignore one poster who many times has wound up speaking to him/her self and tries to make the few who reads the posts think what is said to be important. I chose to ignore. Good luck.

Grunt, a lot of truth in your post and while my postion might be entirely different on the outcomes, it is evident your post with your background has found your "under the radar" and "paper trail" ,comments true. Because of that, either do something about it or do what I have done, IGNORE it. I have three on ignore on the obvious marketing efforts and arguments and name calling that this site now refuses to delete. One poster has been deleted four times this year and should be banned. While its not likely I would know all that has been posted, your wink statement plus the statement on the thread below this one on this forum says a lot. This has become an issue of businesses being set up for a profit that will have a way to pay for real estate and assets on the back of education and in some way religion.. Follow the paper trail. Grunt. But why does it have some acceptance. Maybe, because it has some emotional truth in some of the endorsers of these businesses. For about 50 businesses to affect the positions of 320 schools in any way may only say that public schools need to look to see the reason and if justified, find a way to correct any problems that exist. Arguing about it on this forum only gives those atempting to do it, arguments to continue. Your solution does provide a solution though and draws lines of confrontation that don't totally exist now. How cohesive are schools and relationships and communities going to schools 20-30 miles away????? IGNORE After all look at the paultry number of views on this subject.

While "ignore" is one solution, I've never used that button in all the years I've been on the T. After

a while, some of this back & forth bantering gets to the repetitive point & becomes simply boring.

As for the paper trail, there is none, which was part of my point. I don't have the access & resources

the T$$AA does, but they do choose to use the "ignore" button, normally. People have always found

ways for the "ends justify the means" system. The debate will continue as long as the system is the

way it is. Not likely to change totally. Most privates apparently don't like the idea of playing privates

exclusively either. Wonder why?

Grunt, a lot of truth in your post and while my postion might be entirely different on the outcomes, it is evident your post with your background has found your "under the radar" and "paper trail" ,comments true. Because of that, either do something about it or do what I have done, IGNORE it. I have three on ignore on the obvious marketing efforts and arguments and name calling that this site now refuses to delete. One poster has been deleted four times this year and should be banned. While its not likely I would know all that has been posted, your wink statement plus the statement on the thread below this one on this forum says a lot. This has become an issue of businesses being set up for a profit that will have a way to pay for real estate and assets on the back of education and in some way religion.. Follow the paper trail. Grunt. But why does it have some acceptance. Maybe, because it has some emotional truth in some of the endorsers of these businesses. For about 50 businesses to affect the positions of 320 schools in any way may only say that public schools need to look to see the reason and if justified, find a way to correct any problems that exist. Arguing about it on this forum only gives those atempting to do it, arguments to continue. Your solution does provide a solution though and draws lines of confrontation that don't totally exist now. How cohesive are schools and relationships and communities going to schools 20-30 miles away????? IGNORE After all look at the paultry number of views on this subject. Grunt, understand that those posting on this subject you would think the way they are posting, that they speak for the world but they are nothing but wannabees and speak for nobody except their 10x10 space. They speak only to hear themselves post. They have no authority to say what they say except to market a product which they have globally nothing to do with. The only thing they have is an opinion just like you are I. These either post for themselves to hear or very few others. Getting a few students does not mean every one agrees with you or everything you might say. Thats a poor assumption or why would someone hide behind a post saying they speak for "The Two Catholic Churches in Nashviile and no one knows who they are. If in their own mind they think they are, posters have posted they are doing more harm than good and continue to do it and if confronted, insinuates causing trouble or they should not be posting. Grunt, keep making your points. I choose to just ignore one poster who many times has wound up speaking to him/her self and tries to make the few who reads the posts think what is said to be important. I chose to ignore. Good luck.

I don't have a clue what you mean by two Catholic Churches. Nobody including myself ever used that term, you must have meant two Catholic schools. Another post chocked full of mistakes and statements that have no substance whatsoever. As to the idenity of any poster, Hargis has been wrong so often that it is comical. He may very well push that ignore button, but his reason is if he can't persuade you to change your mind, he ignores you. I know some government leaders with the same affliction. My posts are as stated. You cannot lump all private schools in a big pile as all doing business as you call it the same way. Many private schools are honest and have integrity period. For you Grunt, I proudly follow Father Ryan and if football is your sport, it should be obvious there is no recruiting going on at Ryan. I personally know of attempts by former coaches to entice the administration to allow a little extra as to athletes, the answer was no. As to your statement about financial aid and your claim not to be talking about it, I am afraid you are whether you know it or not. As to your statement about no paperwork on a student, that is absurd. Back to know it all Hargis, he implies that he somehow knows who posters are, this is comical. He has been called down by more posters for his ideas than anyone on this site in its entire history. In his previous post he states that not many people read this thread, but the numbers say otherwise. He must be talking about the Volleyball threads, because not many people read those for sure. As I stated earlier, some publics cheat on athletes every opportunity they get, some privates do, but all publics don't and all privates don't, this has been going on for years and years. One last point, I am continually amazed as to Hargis talking about deleting a post. There are no posts on this thread that qualify for deleting, unless one wants one opinion and one opinion only. We only have to look at history to see examples of this type of thinking. Hargis, you should consider this, perhaps you are wronnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnng about you assessment of what should and should not be deleted. I am tired of your veiled comments about me and other posters, if you are trying to hide your true opinions, you are not doing a very good job of it. Now go and cry to whoever for the umpteenth time. PS By the way Grunt, what statement did you make that made Hargis say that your paper trail comments appear to be true, and are you asserting that all privates do this? What is your evidence or are you just talking. I find your comment on the TSSAA interesting where you imply that they are dishonest by silence also. I guess that public school that you are familiar with is the only honest educators in the state of Tennessee. :roflol: PSS one last comment, I wish we could put a it to a vote on who thinks that they speak for the world, my vote would go for ole PH and so would a lot of other posters.

My issue is, & will be, if you are going to take our kids out of our schools, don't put them on a bus

and haul them back to our field to play sports. If you don't want your kid hanging with our kids in

school, ( and this is an excuse/reason I hear over & over ), why mix them with these bad kids

on Fri. nite? Play DII, you'll never have to deal with us again.

If we take "our" kids out of "your" schools and don't "put them on a bus and haul them back to "your" field to play sports" ---- would it be ok with you if along with our kids away from "your" school, we kept "our" tax dollars away from "your" school also? (didn't think so)

:roflol: Now you're asking & answering your own question. Keep your kids, bus, & tax dollars. You

want to be private....stay private. Simple.

The problem with your only issue is that it is simply untrue. I haven't read or heard of any private anywhere in the country forcing any student to go to their school. Your statement about taking is simply not true. Perhaps when public education catches up a little bit to most all private schools, this taking of students as you describe it will subside. It almost appears that free choice is something you would deny if you had the power. Thats kind of scary. :roflol: PSS Ryan plays the great majority of its schedule against other private schools. We do have some neighborhood rivals that both we and they enjoy playing each other. There is nothing wrong with that. It doesn't affect their standing nor does it affect ours at the end of the season. It promotes fellowship and is fun. Its a good thing and it will continue.

Actually TCs record vs private schools is far from lacking. Not the issue at all. Just don't like the

way they do business. In didn't imply financial aid, nor intend to. My issue is with "selective admissions".

No paper trail, all under the radar. Think what you like, paint it any way you like. The potential is there

at the very least. Also noticed you like to fly under the radar as well. You fail to show your location

or whatever school, if any, you are affiliated with.

Anyway, football season is over, Christmas is just around the corner. Take a few days off, then

recruiting season begins in earnest. :roflol:

You must be referring to a Div I private school, but they are not allowed to give any financial aid to an athlete. If they are a Div II private school, there is always the issue of financial aid, unless the athlete is rich, or there is no charge of tuition, books, fees, etc, I would have to see it to believe it in this economy. So the only way I can see an athlete without a paper trail is if someone pays his tuition, fees, books, entirely in cash. Thats possible, but would be easy to report, oh wait a minute, the TSSAA will just look the other way right. PS I am guessing by selective admissions you are talking about athletes, is that correct?

Wasn't ignoring your post, SS, been out of town for a few days, just got back & trying to catch

up a bit.

My opinion is, and always has been, privates have at least the opportunity to do this. A small private

school, that consistently comes up with this many athletes from a small pool of nearby residents,

is suspect. The enrollment has to come from somewhere else. If a star athlete walks in the door,

compared to the average Joe, who do you think is the likely choice? Will you find this decision on

paper? Of course not. Our friendly neighboring private, FCS, boasts of a nine county draw.

Does BB cherry pick? I don't know what they do, and won't claim to know. And, no one else is

going to admit to anything, so.........

As for South Pitt, I'll let them do their own talking.

Aside from that, Boyd played a great game Sat. vs TC. The team should not hang their head, they

gave all they had, and that's all anyone can ask.

Thanks for responding...but you really didn't answer my question, at least not directly. Did it look to you like BBS "cherry-picked" (your term) the best athletes of the two teams on the field during the BC Bowl? No knock on my BBS boys but it didn't look that way to me.

As far as "star athletes" walking in the door, it has not happened very often during the twenty-plus years I have known anything about BBS. I would venture to say TC has had more that fit into that category than BBS has had. The enrollment at BBS is down a little from its peak a couple of years ago and I believe they have spots open at virtually every grade level from pre-K through 12th grade...so they really can't be too "selective." They would love to have all of those spots filled because they want to offer a Christian education to as many kids as would like to take advantage of it. The admissions process does not include a bench press test, shuttle run or a 40 yard dash timing...pretty sure about that.

I've heard that line about "nine counties" regarding FCS's student base so often that I have begun to wonder if it is an advantage or a disadvantage. You guys never seem to have much trouble with them on the football field!

Thanks for the compliment toward the Bucs' effort. I thought they played hard and came up a little short. Frankly, I thought they were outmanned. Congratulations to TC on continuiing your domination of all schools (public or private) in whatever class you find yourselves. Your record is exemplary in that regard. Your program should be a model for all small public schools to follow.

Thanks for responding...but you really didn't answer my question, at least not directly. Did it look to you like BBS "cherry-picked" (your term) the best athletes of the two teams on the field during the BC Bowl? No knock on my BBS boys but it didn't look that way to me.

OK, I'll give it another shot, maybe I misread the question. It's obvious that BBS

didn't "cherry pick" from the two teams in the BC Bowl. End result would likely have been different.

If that is what you meant.

As far as "star athletes" walking in the door, it has not happened very often during the twenty-plus years I have known anything about BBS. I would venture to say TC has had more that fit into that category than BBS has had. The enrollment at BBS is down a little from its peak a couple of years ago and I believe they have spots open at virtually every grade level from pre-K through 12th grade...so they really can't be too "selective." They would love to have all of those spots filled because they want to offer a Christian education to as many kids as would like to take advantage of it. The admissions process does not include a bench press test, shuttle run or a 40 yard dash timing...pretty sure about that.

For a variety of reasons, TC doesn't have athletes knocking on our door. You need

some incentive for parents to move here...there are none.

I've heard that line about "nine counties" regarding FCS's student base so often that I have begun to wonder if it is an advantage or a disadvantage. You guys never seem to have much trouble with them on the football field!

It's true, TC hasn't had a lingering problem with FCS on the football field. You have to

realize though, that there are other schools in their wide ranging area that are not so fortunate.

It's just as unfair to them to have to compete when one or two of these athletes that might otherwise

be playing for school A, instead end up playing for FCS. Could be a difference maker in school A's

season.

Frankly, I just don't like that way of doing business.

Thanks for the compliment toward the Bucs' effort. I thought they played hard and came up a little short. Frankly, I thought they were outmanned. Congratulations to TC on continuiing your domination of all schools (public or private) in whatever class you find yourselves. Your record is exemplary in that regard. Your program should be a model for all small public schools to follow.

I'm sure the Bucs will be back in the hunt again. The Jackets will have some work

to do before we climb the hill to Cookeville again. But, who knows, stranger things have

happened I suppose.

Mr. Hargis, you lost me again.
Rick, Stbulldog is a web site for marketing private schools. While the site will not say who it is affiliated with, it insinuates many things. It says it represents all private schools now in the State and has just now thinks in the Country. A lot reading it likely just fell out ot their chair with laughter, listening to someone who is in a 10x10 room who thinks more of themself than they are and says they are something that they aren't. While they do not say who they are affiliated with, they do keep mentioning a school that has nothing to do with their perceived mission. Using a schools name and not saying they are affiliated with it and representing all private schools in the State and yes jn the country is a little far out. The posters on this site who are reading all of this have to know what this poster is doing. Many posting have said this poster or this site, Stbulldog, has made so many mad in Nashville, they don't like it and tirades like the one with Grunt show up anytime there is disagreement. They have told the site so. That being the fact, instead of arguing with the poster on the site, putting the site on ignore and not have to deal with rude, condescending, redefining posts has been the best way to handle it. Putting on ignore means that the posts of the poster is blocked. Grunt wants the banter and enjoys it. No one else does and it will waste a lot of someones time. Hope that explains what you wanted to know but really its likely more than what you needed to know. The interesting thing is with so many posting about recruitment on this site tells me that there has to be something going on. The second thing is teachers in some places finding rules are being cirumvented in the legal recruitment. And then on the thread just below this one, a student posts the way teh system works. It's all right but no one is going to listen to things that are obviously not the truth. Nor should have to listen to a marketing speil from the same site.

Mr. Hargis, you lost me again.
Rick, Stbulldog is a web site for marketing private schools. While the site will not say who it is affiliated with, it insinuates many things. It says it represents all private schools now in the State and has just now thinks in the Country. A lot reading it likely just fell out ot their chair with laughter, listening to someone who is in a 10x10 room who thinks more of themself than they are and says they are something that they aren't. While they do not say who they are affiliated with, they do keep mentioning a school that has nothing to do with their perceived mission. Using a schools name and not saying they are affiliated with it and representing all private schools in the State and yes jn the country is a little far out. The posters on this site who are reading all of this have to know what this poster is doing. Many posting have said this poster or this site, Stbulldog, has made so many mad in Nashville, they don't like it and tirades like the one with Grunt show up anytime there is disagreement. They have told the site so. That being the fact, instead of arguing with the poster on the site, putting the site on ignore and not have to deal with rude, condescending, redefining posts has been the best way to handle it. Putting on ignore means that the posts of the poster is blocked. Grunt wants the banter and enjoys it. No one else does and it will waste a lot of someones time. Hope that explains what you wanted to know but really its likely more than what you needed to know. The interesting thing is with so many posting about recruitment on this site tells me that there has to be something going on. The second thing is teachers in some places finding rules are being cirumvented in the legal recruitment. And then on the thread just below this one, a student posts the way teh system works. It's all right but no one is going to listen to things that are obviously not the truth. Nor should have to listen to a marketing speil from the same site.

This poster needs help, probably mental help. I would not speak of anyone telling a site about a poster or that they make them mad. You lead the pack in that category hands down. I don't have a clue what you mean about representing anyone. You don't represent anyone, you just give an opinion same as anyone else. For the third time, I will state the obvious. If anyone is too ignorant to understand, that is their fault. Some public schools cheat in every way that is possible to them concerning athletes, some private do, not all publics do this and not all privates do this. To attempt an argument about total seperation due to the mistakes of a few is stupid. Your statement about a marketing spill is really stupid. I don't have to market anything, Ryan sells itself. It is a fine school period. There is no argument about that. As to Ryan and sports, we are fifth in the state in total number of state championships in all sports put together. That also speaks for itself. You can run an honest program and win. You have exposed yourself once again Hargis in that you are biased against private schools. I don't need to hear that you attended both public and private, it makes no difference. You have a big problem with anyone who disagrees with you, too bad. And as Rick posted, you have lost most of us on your ranting and raving, exagerrations about most everything you post. And once again, you fibbed, if you have someone on ignore, how come you posted another response. PS As to your criticism about what should and should not be deleted from this website, I think I now understand. What should be deleted is whatever you disagree with, thank God its not like that. Your poor description of someone representing a school because they post about them clearly shows that you don't understand the Ryan family and I am sure many other schools feelings. At Ryan we are a family with generations of ties to the school, so I believe I can post about it. The most important statement I will make is that you can't define private schools by making cover-all statements, private schools have great differences depending on their affiliations. All of this has been posted a thousand times, ole hat, nothing new. I do find your arrogance interesting, now you are directing other posters on how to think, and judge, what a lofty position. :roflol:

PSS St Bulldog is a web site for marketing private schools. This statement leads the pack in the most untrue silly sentence that I have ever read on this website. Private schools sell themselves. I am still waiting for my first dollar for marketing. PSSS you have a comprehension problem, at no point did I imply or state ever that I represent local or national private schools. That is about as silly as you trying to make people believe that certain gyms are packed with fans when in truth we know they are not. Its just not true.