PRIVATE VS. PUBLIC

dou

I would suggest that if you have positive proof of wrongdoing, then you submit that evidence to the TSSAA.

I would also suggest that if you are hearing the information from a second hand source or even from a parent themselves, that you listen with a grain of salt. Is this "supporter" an official representative of the school? Would the parent "stretch" the truth to make it sound better? Do they have any official offers in writing? Have they submitted the approprate financial aid forms to the independent review company?

The privates that offer aid were moved to their own Division, II and as such the DI schools do not have to play us. However, it always seems that some still want to. I personally think it is a sad state of being.

What is also sad is during the time of gas prices going up, on this site DII complaints that DII schools complaints about having to travel due to fuel costs and why DI did not play them. And then in an area, an attempt to restructure play schedules due to high fuel costs. DII sometimes have to go out of state to find schools to play. Thats not sad. Reclassification did cause some problems in scheduling but mostly with DII. After all, 325 publics to about 50 privates. Long way between schools and then when you throw in trying to bus kids out of the allowed area that are allowed to attend which most are athletes, the costs get pretty high.

The busing of students to both Catholic schools has nothing whatsoever to do with athletics and there is no evidence whatsoever to back up your silly statement that most are athletes, in fact most probably are not. In the case of JPII, I believe that a majority of their entire student population is involved in one sport or another. But that has nothing to do with providing transportation to parents who pay for it and need it. I think it is about time to stop making these statements that are untrue and obviously based on some false basis. As to non-Catholic privates, though I don't know for certain, I can feel pretty safe in saying that the ones who provide transportation, it certainly is not athletics that is the motivating factor, but the same motivation as Catholic schools and that is an attempt to provide some mode of transportation to the students who need it. Students that ride buses at JPII or Ryan pay several hundred dollars a year for that service. Another example to show how silly your statement about transportation being mostly athletes to quote you. How many times or years does it take to realize that most private schools main motivation in life is to provide for their students and athletics is second to the caring for their students. :roflol: Ps What you you mean by "allowed area". There is no allowed area for private schools, if a student from Hawaii wanted to attend and could get to JPII or Ryan, no problem or if a student from Alabama wanted to attend Ryan, no problem if he or she could make it to school on time, so again "allowed area", You are talking public school talk. :thumb: PSS Bus fare for JPII is somewhere in the neighborhood of 700 dollars a year, could be higher, coiuld be lower, no financial aid for that fee. For the last time, has nothing at all to do with athletics.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would suggest that if you have positive proof of wrongdoing, then you submit that evidence to the TSSAA.

I would also suggest that if you are hearing the information from a second hand source or even from a parent themselves, that you listen with a grain of salt. Is this "supporter" an official representative of the school? Would the parent "stretch" the truth to make it sound better? Do they have any official offers in writing? Have they submitted the approprate financial aid forms to the independent review company?

The privates that offer aid were moved to their own Division, II and as such the DI schools do not have to play us. However, it always seems that some still want to. I personally think it is a sad state of being.

What is also sad is during the time of gas prices going up, on this site DII complaints that DII schools complaints about having to travel due to fuel costs and why DI did not play them. And then in an area, an attempt to restructure play schedules due to high fuel costs. DII sometimes have to go out of state to find schools to play. Thats not sad. Reclassification did cause some problems in scheduling but mostly with DII. After all, 325 publics to about 50 privates. Long way between schools and then when you throw in trying to bus kids out of the allowed area that are allowed to attend which most are athletes, the costs get pretty high.

The busing of students to both Catholic schools has nothing whatsoever to do with athletics and there is no evidence whatsoever to back up your silly statement that most are athletes, in fact most probably are not. In the case of JPII, I believe that a majority of their entire student population is involved in one sport or another. But that has nothing to do with providing transportation to parents who pay for it and need it. I think it is about time to stop making these statements that are untrue and obviously based on some false basis. As to non-Catholic privates, though I don't know for certain, I can feel pretty safe in saying that the ones who provide transportation, it certainly is not athletics that is the motivating factor, but the same motivation as Catholic schools and that is an attempt to provide some mode of transportation to the students who need it. Students that ride buses at JPII or Ryan pay several hundred dollars a year for that service. Another example to show how silly your statement about transportation being mostly athletes to quote you. How many times or years does it take to realize that most private schools main motivation in life is to provide for their students and athletics is second to the caring for their students. :roflol: Ps What you you mean by "allowed area". There is no allowed area for private schools, if a student from Hawaii wanted to attend and could get to JPII or Ryan, no problem or if a student from Alabama wanted to attend Ryan, no problem if he or she could make it to school on time, so again "allowed area", You are talking public school talk. :thumb: PSS Bus fare for JPII is somewhere in the neighborhood of 700 dollars a year, could be higher, coiuld be lower, no financial aid for that fee. For the last time, has nothing at all to do with athletics.

PSS that should also dispel the notion that all private school students drive their Mercedes to school, because if that were the case, there would be no need whatever for buses to provide transportation.

Hey guys, dont beat around the bush. Most of the private schools in west tn and Im sure the rest of the state recruit players. It is not really a secret. I have personally witnessed it being done. It has gotten really bad and the coaches from the private schools have gotten brazen about it because no one says anything about it or challenges it. Big money is involved in tuitions, thousands of dollars. They use the disguise that they are offering an "academic scholarship" to provide a kid a good education who maybe was not able to afford it. The kicker is the kid always seems to be an exceptional athelte (go figure). It hurts the community where the athlete is coming from (taking one of their players) and it hurts the team they are playing because it creates a distinct advantage for the recruiting school. If a kid is a good athlete he will get attention from the colleges with help from his coach (if the coach is worth his salt) and his parents. These colleges are constantly on the hunt for players. The coaches for the private schools are paid salaries well above public schools coaches and they must produce or chance losing their job (sounds like college doesnt it?)I know some public schools do it also but not on the same scale as the private schools and not involving tens of thousands of dollars in tuitions.

Recruiting players in High School is not right....

I am a public/private guy and I will say that I have seen and heard equally public and privates recruit. I have even seen privates school kids get recruited by public schools as crazy as that may seem.

the thing that makes me laugh the most about these threads--even more than the ridiculous nonsense that gets posted--is the absolute certainty with which some public school supporters describe what happens at private schools, despite the fact that 99% of them never attended private school, sent their kids to private school, know someone who went to private school, and probably have never even set foot in a private school.

I do appreciate Spartanfan who has brought some good thoughts and insights to the discussion.

• 2 weeks later...
Magnet schools recuit more than most DII schools but thats ok because the Magnet school are usally are made a Magnet because the school was a "probation school". They kick out the students that can't pass.

Privates don't let in the ones who can't pass. Magnet schools are a joke and should be in their own class , Its OK to go out of your zone to attend that magnet "I know their football team has won the region 6 years in a row but you can go but only if your serious about taking that toenail clippin class they specialize in" What a crock!!

Privates and magnets both have an advantage on publics. Some publics may recruit but they don't have the ways around the rules that magnets and privates do.

What ways around the rules? Made a lot people say that just then didn't I.

When you can take kids from ANYWHERE! your rules are different than publics!

Privates and magnets both have an advantage on publics. Some publics may recruit but they don't have the ways around the rules that magnets and privates do.

What ways around the rules? Made a lot people say that just then didn't I.

When you can take kids from ANYWHERE! your rules are different than publics!

Unless their parents get a "new job" and "transfer" to that school district-----NOOOOOO, that NEVER happens :thumb:

Bottom line is when a public gets beat by a private school, they cry recruiting been doing it for years and will continue, but if they win the game, its wow we beat great program. You can't debate this subject with a whinning cry baby, most of the ones complaining are from small rural schools with weak programs.I don't hear SPittsburg, trousdale co, Alcoa,maryville, mckensie,milan just to name a few doing any complaining

When a public school beats a private school that recruits it is a huge feather in their cap...They have done something they should be proud of. Most of the private schools are great programs....thats what makes the win so much more of a big deal when the public schools wins. They have beat a team that skirts the system and creates an unlevel playing field with what they(public schools) have and playing kids who only live in that district. My hat off to the team that does that.

Recruiting is done and has no place in High School football.

I am from a large HS team with a pretty good winning record...we play what we have in our district, thats it.....................just for the record.