PRIVATE VS. PUBLIC

dou

After you check Grace - go check Clarkrange (public) basketball team roster for the past several years.....everybody's doin' it - doin' it - doin' it

It definaiely happens, success is a big factor in alot of cases. In Graces case, its the reason for their success. They have money and they are pouring it into atheletics, its the only team I know of where you can watch their games live on the net.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree about the system being set up that way by the TSSAA, but it does not happen as much in the public schools (recruiting). I would think there are at least 3-4 times as many public schools as private. There are some big, well known public schools Im sure some fishing is done at, but most public schools play what they have.In the west tn area a lot of the privates recruit (look at their rosters). My kids were at a public school and did fine and are successful.

What part of a private schools roster are we suppossed to look at? Please enlighten us all.

Please include the specific schools and kids you are referring too as well

One roster you could look at would be Grace Christian.I'd put money that they have had more transfers over the past 3 years than all of their region teams combined. I don't think very many private schools get transfers at this rate, but the good programs sell themselves. The great public schools get several new kids also. People like winners.

There is no school called Grace Christian in the west.

While the privates do seem to have an advantage in most sports, a sport like soccer gives them a HUGE advantage. Not because of recruiting, but simply because of economics. If you look at a soccer roster (boys or girls), almost the entire team plays competitive(which the parents of private students can afford), giving them the best coaching and the opportunity to play year round. These teams play smaller schools that might have one or two players that play competitive, or maybe none at all. The smaller public school has no chance in that situation. If you want proof, look at the rankings for the state in soccer. Or look at who is going to be playing for the girls state title this fall. Anyone can see the advantage in this sport.

While the privates do seem to have an advantage in most sports, a sport like soccer gives them a HUGE advantage. Not because of recruiting, but simply because of economics. If you look at a soccer roster (boys or girls), almost the entire team plays competitive(which the parents of private students can afford), giving them the best coaching and the opportunity to play year round. These teams play smaller schools that might have one or two players that play competitive, or maybe none at all. The smaller public school has no chance in that situation. If you want proof, look at the rankings for the state in soccer. Or look at who is going to be playing for the girls state title this fall. Anyone can see the advantage in this sport.

Um, plenty of public school parents can afford to send Johnny or Suzie to play on competative summer teams. Your apparant argument that only private kids parents can afford this is foolish at best. You want the small public school kid to have the exact same opportunities that you claim that only private school kids parents can afford? Go raise the money. That is what the privates do. Insist that your school administrations put more emphasise on getting better coaches for your small public school.

Stop crying to have a game take a step back to meet you. Step UP and meet the game. Work harder and improve. Seems pretty simple to me.

Um, plenty of public school parents can afford to send Johnny or Suzie to play on competative summer teams. Your apparant argument that only private kids parents can afford this is foolish at best. You want the small public school kid to have the exact same opportunities that you claim that only private school kids parents can afford? Go raise the money. That is what the privates do. Insist that your school administrations put more emphasise on getting better coaches for your small public school.

Stop crying to have a game take a step back to meet you. Step UP and meet the game. Work harder and improve. Seems pretty simple to me.

I'm sure it seems pretty simple to you. Sure there are public parents that can afford it, but unless you live near a metro area where you can drive to competitive practice it is not feasible. Most parents in the real world work for a living and cannot leave work early every day to get their kids to practice, which is what must be done to play competitively. And if you think it is as easy to raise money in a public school as a private school, then you are foolish at best. There is a financial advantage that the privates have. Just a look at their facilities proves that. Our small school has enough financial issues just trying to keep from cutting academic programs. We have volunteer coaches in several sports, so if you think we can "insist" that our administrators get better coaches, you are not in the real world.

I'm not crying. I just think that, just as larger schools have an advantage over small schools, private schools have an advantage. TSSAA tries to level the playing field as far as enrollments go, but they do not level the field when it comes to the private schools. Put them all in DII. Seems pretty simple to me.

Not all privates offer need based scholarships - that is what DII is for. Small privates that are in DI have to play up / multiplier. Then u will say privates recruit - publics call in transferring....... publics have open enrollment schools - anybody can go. And there are public magnets - anyone can go to those schools too and if the magnet does not offer a sport they can go co-op at another public school that has that sport.

I'm sure it seems pretty simple to you. Sure there are public parents that can afford it, but unless you live near a metro area where you can drive to competitive practice it is not feasible. Most parents in the real world work for a living and cannot leave work early every day to get their kids to practice, which is what must be done to play competitively. And if you think it is as easy to raise money in a public school as a private school, then you are foolish at best. There is a financial advantage that the privates have. Just a look at their facilities proves that. Our small school has enough financial issues just trying to keep from cutting academic programs. We have volunteer coaches in several sports, so if you think we can "insist" that our administrators get better coaches, you are not in the real world. I'm not crying. I just think that, just as larger schools have an advantage over small schools, private schools have an advantage. TSSAA tries to level the playing field as far as enrollments go, but they do not level the field when it comes to the private schools. Put them all in DII. Seems pretty simple to me.

So apparantly you think that private school parents don't work. That is what the first highlite of your post is appearing to say. I'd be willing to bet that a good chunk of private school parents work alot harder than some public school parents. Afterall, the private school parent works to pay taxes so your child can go to public school, plus they have to work even harder to afford the tuition to send their kids to the private school.

You also apparantly think that private schools have an advantage over publics because of facilities. Yes, there are several private schools who have nice facilities. Remember, those were all built with private funds that had to be raised. On the other hand, I see many public schools who also have outstanding facilities as well. There are some publics in West Tennessee who have indoor football practice facilities. I can't think of any privates that I am familiar with who have anything like that. I also know of a small public high school in West Tennessee that has a brand new football weight room costing over 100,000 dollars. Don't forget about the new Dyer Co. High School. No private school I am aware of has any type of gym that even comes close to what the tax payers of that county are on the hook for. Heck, alot of colleges would love to have something like that to play in. Again, I don't know of any privates who have anything like that. So your point of the privates having a financial advantage with facilities is what again????

The third highlited part states that you have alot of volunteer coaches. If you think that all coaches at private schools are well paid, or even paid at all, you are pretty well mistaken.

As far as enrollments go, the TSSAA has not leveled them in relation to the privates according to your post. I guess that you have forgot about the muliplier rule too!!!! A private school that I follow only has about 240 or so kids in it total in the 9-12 grades. Yet, they are forced to play in a district and classification in which every school they play against is almost or more than double the student population of the school I follow. We have to compete against public shools with almost twice the enrollment that others in the district have. No, I agree with you that the field is not level. It is definately slanted in your favor.

If all privates went D2, you would still find something to complain about when your Johnny or Suzie's small school team gets beat. You would just complain about being beat by the big public school.

Maybe we should just create a system where there is a separate class for every team in the state. That way, everyone gets a trophy and feels good. Would that make you happy?

You seem to have a bias against private schools. I`m not gonna deny that having extra funds is a benefit, but if you want to argue this point then why not be open minded about it? A few years ago Germantown`s baseball team raised around $90,000.00 for their baseball team. At the same time my son played at JCM and we worked our butts off to raise 15,000.00. The fact is that there are public schools that are located in very affluent neighborhoods. Williamson and Rutherford are very wealthy counties. That`s no reason though to call them out. Germantown is a rural county school in an affluent area of Shelby County. Melrose is in the same county yet they are located in an area that has economic problems to say the least. Yet you`d complain about it when it`s a private vs. public, but I don`t see you saying anything about the obvious disparagement when it comes to public vs public.

The bottom line is that you can`t legislate monetary resources. It`s just something everyone has to cope with.

Right or wrong ,I guess thats everyones opinion. Sure private schools try to lure good atheletes and good students to their school. Thats the way they pay their bills, its a business. Concerned parents are always going to try to give their kids the best oppertunity available. They wouldn't be good parents if they didn't. I salute them. If their is a problem, its in the system set up by the TSSAA. The same thing happens all the time in public schools, people see a better oppertunity at another school, they give their kid a better oppertunity. Its just not as easy with the transfer rules laid down by the TSSAA. I think its more about the indivual kid than it is the school they attend. People shouldn't envy some kid for his or her success ,regardless of the school he or she attends.

Do I detect a slight change of heart, Pudge? :roflol: Or only when Grace is not involved in the discussion. One request, would you please send Father Ryan instructions on how to pay their bills by athletics. Even though Ryan is fourth or fifth in the state of Tennessee in total state titles in all sports together, they still need to know how they pay their bills from sports. Perhaps that would stop the 7% increase in tutition each and every year. :?:

You seem to have a bias against private schools. I`m not gonna deny that having extra funds is a benefit, but if you want to argue this point then why not be open minded about it? A few years ago Germantown`s baseball team raised around $90,000.00 for their baseball team. At the same time my son played at JCM and we worked our butts off to raise 15,000.00. The fact is that there are public schools that are located in very affluent neighborhoods. Williamson and Rutherford are very wealthy counties. That`s no reason though to call them out. Germantown is a rural county school in an affluent area of Shelby County. Melrose is in the same county yet they are located in an area that has economic problems to say the least. Yet you`d complain about it when it`s a private vs. public, but I don`t see you saying anything about the obvious disparagement when it comes to public vs public.

The bottom line is that you can`t legislate monetary resources. It`s just something everyone has to cope with.

I don't have a bias against private schools. I have several friends whose kids go to privates, and I don't have any negative feelings toward them at all. My only point was that it appears the privates do have an advantage that comes through more in certain sports, such as soccer. I don't think there is much of a difference in a lot of other sports, like football, baseball. etc. You are right in that it all comes down to money. And no, I don't think that the parents of private school kids don't work. We all work hard every day to try to give our kids the best. And there are parents who can certainly afford to send their kids to privates who don't for one reason or another. Maybe it's more of a location issue. You mentioned public schools that have been very effective at raising money, but stated that they are in affluent areas. My guess is that most (not all) smaller schools are in more rural areas that might not be as affluent. (I know there are exceptions) And these schools can be at a disadvantage. But when all is said and done, that is life. We all have to learn to play the hand we are dealt. Either we try to make it better or we don't. Again, I don't have anything at all against private schools. And I am not saying they are doing something they shouldn't. They are playing within the rules set out by TSSAA. I'm not trying to be a jerk, just stating my opinion. Your bottom line is exactly correct.

Right or wrong ,I guess thats everyones opinion. Sure private schools try to lure good atheletes and good students to their school. Thats the way they pay their bills, its a business. Concerned parents are always going to try to give their kids the best oppertunity available. They wouldn't be good parents if they didn't. I salute them. If their is a problem, its in the system set up by the TSSAA. The same thing happens all the time in public schools, people see a better oppertunity at another school, they give their kid a better oppertunity. Its just not as easy with the transfer rules laid down by the TSSAA. I think its more about the indivual kid than it is the school they attend. People shouldn't envy some kid for his or her success ,regardless of the school he or she attends.

Do I detect a slight change of heart, Pudge? :thumb: Or only when Grace is not involved in the discussion. One request, would you please send Father Ryan instructions on how to pay their bills by athletics. Even though Ryan is fourth or fifth in the state of Tennessee in total state titles in all sports together, they still need to know how they pay their bills from sports. Perhaps that would stop the 7% increase in tutition each and every year. :roflol:

Have absolutely nothing against private schools, I've stated this MANY times.Ido have something against these small private schools rebuilding their teams with transfers on a yearly basis, and competing against these small rural schools. Grace just seems to be the one who is going out of their way to do so. I still don't have anything against them, they just need to play schools who have the same advantages they do. The teams in their district are all small rural schools who operate completely different and Grace will own the playing field because of it. It really don't even effect the school's in my area, I just see it for what it is.

• 3 weeks later...

Do I detect a slight change of heart, Pudge? :shock: Or only when Grace is not involved in the discussion. One request, would you please send Father Ryan instructions on how to pay their bills by athletics. Even though Ryan is fourth or fifth in the state of Tennessee in total state titles in all sports together, they still need to know how they pay their bills from sports. Perhaps that would stop the 7% increase in tutition each and every year. :shock:

Have absolutely nothing against private schools, I've stated this MANY times.Ido have something against these small private schools rebuilding their teams with transfers on a yearly basis, and competing against these small rural schools. Grace just seems to be the one who is going out of their way to do so. I still don't have anything against them, they just need to play schools who have the same advantages they do. The teams in their district are all small rural schools who operate completely different and Grace will own the playing field because of it. It really don't even effect the school's in my area, I just see it for what it is.

pujo , this is one of the few things you an I ever agree on. Grace is giving small privates a bad rep. They graduate what seems to be their entire starting line - up every year but come back better the next season with a whole new list of names on the roster. Where do they come from? How did they go from awful to really good in 3-4 years? Small rural schools can't compete with that year in year out. Occasionally everyone has to rebuild especially small schools , somehow they have found a way around that.