PRIVATE VS. PUBLIC

dou

Right or wrong ,I guess thats everyones opinion. Sure private schools try to lure good atheletes and good students to their school. Thats the way they pay their bills, its a business. Concerned parents are always going to try to give their kids the best oppertunity available. They wouldn't be good parents if they didn't. I salute them. If their is a problem, its in the system set up by the TSSAA. The same thing happens all the time in public schools, people see a better oppertunity at another school, they give their kid a better oppertunity. Its just not as easy with the transfer rules laid down by the TSSAA. I think its more about the indivual kid than it is the school they attend. People shouldn't envy some kid for his or her success ,regardless of the school he or she attends.

Do I detect a slight change of heart, Pudge? :thumb: Or only when Grace is not involved in the discussion. One request, would you please send Father Ryan instructions on how to pay their bills by athletics. Even though Ryan is fourth or fifth in the state of Tennessee in total state titles in all sports together, they still need to know how they pay their bills from sports. Perhaps that would stop the 7% increase in tutition each and every year. :thumb:

Have absolutely nothing against private schools, I've stated this MANY times.Ido have something against these small private schools rebuilding their teams with transfers on a yearly basis, and competing against these small rural schools. Grace just seems to be the one who is going out of their way to do so. I still don't have anything against them, they just need to play schools who have the same advantages they do. The teams in their district are all small rural schools who operate completely different and Grace will own the playing field because of it. It really don't even effect the school's in my area, I just see it for what it is.

pujo,

How do you feel about the following plan? Place both D1 & D2 back together with 4 classifications in football, basketball, & baseball. All private schools, magnet schools, and open zoned public schools must play in 2A or above. Any school that offers financial aid must play in 3A or 4A. Any school may play in a classification above their enrollment for any or all sports if they so desire. All reclassification will take place every six years.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
This is what should happen in my opinion. We go back to 5 classes for public schools , ALL privates who don't give aid play D-P1 (private 1) ALL who do play in D-P2.

Seems reasonable to me. Play with schools who operate in like fashion.

What about the open enrollment publics Mr. Pujo, do we make a D3 for open enrollment public schools? :roflol::roflol:

Yea Pujo--how is Alcoa any different than CAK-except CAK costs $7,000 peryear and Alcoa is almost nothing for those who want to go there since they have open zoning? For your Alcoa fans, I have no complaint against you--you are playing by the current rules and you'd be really good even without the 20% or whatever % of your players it is that come from outside Alcoa city limits. Open zoning is exactly what a private school has-but we just cost more. Here are two thoughts 1) if you have open zoning, then you have to use the mulitplier, just like the private schools do. 2) Or, forget all this multiplier nonsense and arguement about open zoning--if you don't give financial aid to athletes then you play in the same division. The division is broken down into classifications based on straight size. If you make it to the state finals three years in a row--you have to move up to the next classification for three years. TSSAA can't/won't enforce any other set of rules.

You guys are a disgrace to the state of tennessee for thinking that private schools recruit. You guys just cry when a private school beats a public school. Have you ever thought that a private school just has more talent than public schools? No matter what division they play in yall are always going to complain!!! :lol:;)

This is what should happen in my opinion. We go back to 5 classes for public schools , ALL privates who don't give aid play D-P1 (private 1) ALL who do play in D-P2.

Seems reasonable to me. Play with schools who operate in like fashion.

What about the open enrollment publics Mr. Pujo, do we make a D3 for open enrollment public schools? :mrgreen::roflol:

Don't know about D3, but they should deffinately play with schools who operate in the same fashion. Anytime you have the luxury of getting talented players outside you're zone, you have a huge advantage. With Alcoa's success. its pretty easy.

Simply put, public schools in DI, private & open zone in DII. Strange to me is why private students

& parents find the local public school not good enough, but have no problem whatsoever setting

foot on their field to play football. Why not just stay the heck away altogether?

Privates seem to ignore the fact that they not only cherry pick the best athletes, they do the same

for the academic kids as well. Grow your own like everyone else. JMHO

Simply put, public schools in DI, private & open zone in DII. Strange to me is why private students

& parents find the local public school not good enough, but have no problem whatsoever setting

foot on their field to play football. Why not just stay the heck away altogether?

Privates seem to ignore the fact that they not only cherry pick the best athletes, they do the same

Congratulations to Trousdale County on another state title. If you guys can dominate the private schools in your division on a fairly consistent basis with good coaching, great administrative and community support, excellent, hard-working kids and great tradition, why can't other public schools? Did you really feel that BBS cherry-picked the "best athletes?" I'm a true-blue BBS fan, but in all honesty, that's not what I saw today. Once again, congratulations on a hard-earned state title.

I would hate to see all privates put in DII no matter the reason. Their value to education and social interactivity is a lot more than just a football field. Just having government come in and seperate kids that are only going to have to come back and interact with each other long term doesn't sound very smart.

I'm sure it seems pretty simple to you. Sure there are public parents that can afford it, but unless you live near a metro area where you can drive to competitive practice it is not feasible. Most parents in the real world work for a living and cannot leave work early every day to get their kids to practice, which is what must be done to play competitively. And if you think it is as easy to raise money in a public school as a private school, then you are foolish at best. There is a financial advantage that the privates have. Just a look at their facilities proves that. Our small school has enough financial issues just trying to keep from cutting academic programs. We have volunteer coaches in several sports, so if you think we can "insist" that our administrators get better coaches, you are not in the real world. I'm not crying. I just think that, just as larger schools have an advantage over small schools, private schools have an advantage. TSSAA tries to level the playing field as far as enrollments go, but they do not level the field when it comes to the private schools. Put them all in DII. Seems pretty simple to me.

So apparantly you think that private school parents don't work. That is what the first highlite of your post is appearing to say. I'd be willing to bet that a good chunk of private school parents work alot harder than some public school parents. Afterall, the private school parent works to pay taxes so your child can go to public school, plus they have to work even harder to afford the tuition to send their kids to the private school.

You also apparantly think that private schools have an advantage over publics because of facilities. Yes, there are several private schools who have nice facilities. Remember, those were all built with private funds that had to be raised. On the other hand, I see many public schools who also have outstanding facilities as well. There are some publics in West Tennessee who have indoor football practice facilities. I can't think of any privates that I am familiar with who have anything like that. I also know of a small public high school in West Tennessee that has a brand new football weight room costing over 100,000 dollars. Don't forget about the new Dyer Co. High School. No private school I am aware of has any type of gym that even comes close to what the tax payers of that county are on the hook for. Heck, alot of colleges would love to have something like that to play in. Again, I don't know of any privates who have anything like that. So your point of the privates having a financial advantage with facilities is what again????

The third highlited part states that you have alot of volunteer coaches. If you think that all coaches at private schools are well paid, or even paid at all, you are pretty well mistaken.

As far as enrollments go, the TSSAA has not leveled them in relation to the privates according to your post. I guess that you have forgot about the muliplier rule too!!!! A private school that I follow only has about 240 or so kids in it total in the 9-12 grades. Yet, they are forced to play in a district and classification in which every school they play against is almost or more than double the student population of the school I follow. We have to compete against public shools with almost twice the enrollment that others in the district have. No, I agree with you that the field is not level. It is definately slanted in your favor.

If all privates went D2, you would still find something to complain about when your Johnny or Suzie's small school team gets beat. You would just complain about being beat by the big public school.

Maybe we should just create a system where there is a separate class for every team in the state. That way, everyone gets a trophy and feels good. Would that make you happy?

If you take out open enrollment schools and private schools you will loose more schools than you think. I Chatt. DI loose Hixson, Red Bank, Boyd, CCS, CLSA, CCA, Tyner, S. Pitt, Marion, Whiwell, Bradley, Cleveland,Silverdale, and Grace. I would imagine that there is many more. You will have more teams in DII than DI.