wondering about fireworks

orfan23

i went to the ac/or game last week where ac had all the fireworks. i was told by a pretty reliable source that it is illegal for them to do fireworks at a high school game. does anyone know if that is true, and if it is how are they still doing it? personally i think money should be spent elsewhere at the school than on fireworks for a football game.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As long as they are legal in the county they are fired in they are legal and usually do not cost the school a thing as they are usually paid for by the booster club or individual booster.

If the science club needs new test tubes they should get a booster club together and promote some of their experiments for folks to come watch. :roflol:

I have seen the fireworks there as well, which I thought were pretty impressive. Would love to have a little action like that in Halls. However, I must say that if this were illegal as your reliable source says, that it would have been brought up before now and would have been stopped before now. We are going into week 7 of games and I wouldn't think it would not have gone past the first game if it were actually illegal. They have a couple of dads (?) who work for the pyro company who has helped obtain this show and I would think that the schools, county, company etc. would have checked into this before going to the trouble of setting it all up if it were illegal to do so. Heck, they've even showed it on TV at some of the games. I thought it was a cool feature and think how pumped up those boys get coming out to it. You know, kinda like when OR gets the fog going, train whistle blowing, wildcat growling when your boys come down the hill...etc. Just one of those home field advantages each school gets to get their boys rolling. Made this Devil fan a little envious that we don't have something like that for our boys!

If its that big of an issue, a person could always make a quick call to the county to find out.

I specifically remember a clause on the TSSAA website that prohibits fireworks. With that said, I have seen it two years in a row but its always been towards the end of the season close to playoff time. I am just speculating now, but it may be that the fireworks are only prohibited during the postseason. Either way I'm sure this adds to the already electric atmosphere at most high school games.

Go to the 2009-10 TSSAA Football Handbook http://www.tssaa.org/Handbook/football.pdf. Go to section II K. This is what it says:

K. No explosive devices shall be allowed in regular season or play-off games.

I would think that this would make fireworks illegal. It is in the handbook for every other sport as well, but AC has never been one to let the TSSAA rules get in their way.

i went to the ac/or game last week where ac had all the fireworks. i was told by a pretty reliable source that it is illegal for them to do fireworks at a high school game. does anyone know if that is true, and if it is how are they still doing it? personally i think money should be spent elsewhere at the school than on fireworks for a football game.

Our booster did a fireworks show for homecoming! It was awesome. Our team is playing very well this year, our school is looking 100% better, fans and students are involved, it was a positive move....the fireworks were an added bonus. No harm done.