Siegel wins 7AAA matchup with Riverdale

PHargis

Siegel won the regular season from Riverdale 14-25, 25-12, 20-25, 25-23, 15-6. This was an outstanding match in front of 650 screaming, on their feet fans who's time outs were peppered with sounds of air horns, a masked feminine SuperWoman dressed in bright yellow, cape and all running in front of the crowd and a backflipping gymnist flipping the length of the stands. Exciting???? I guess 7AAA play with a 3-2 match with some great players is always exciting.

Sounds like an awesome game tonight. Congratulations to Siegel.

You might want to leave the airhorns home though (airhorns? really?...I can't believe the refs let that kind of behavior stand...)

From the TSSAA handbook, revised Sept 11, 2009

I. GENERAL REGULATIONS (Division I: Class A, AA, AAA; Division II)

C. During regular-season play no air horns, cow bells or individual type noise makers will be allowed.

VI. GENERAL TOURNAMENT REGULATIONS

A. No air horns, cow bells, or individual type noise makers will be allowed at district, regional, sectional, or state tournaments.

To better explain the airhorn situation, the up official spotted where the noise came from, shook his head and it stopped. The up official did one of the best jobs with one of the most enthusiastic crowds and with two coaches who were trying every move possible to win the match. It is the reason that assignment of officials in matches like this as well as experienced line judges is important. Doesn't mean there were not some disagreements but, in general, to officiate five games in about a little less than 3 hours was done well. There was no question the coaches and the fans on each side was there to win this District Regular Season Championship. And now we look forward to the District Tournament Championship which will be just as competitive except with six schools involved. This same scene plays out in every District in the State.h

October 7, 2009

Siegel takes 7-AAA regular-season volleyball title

Lady Stars fend off Riverdale to win decisive match

BY TOM KREAGER

TKREAGER@DNJ.COM

Riverdale pushed Siegel to the brink Tuesday night in both volleyball team's District 7-AAA regular-season finale.

But the Lady Stars pushed back.

Siegel fought off a furious charge to hold off Riverdale to win 19-25, 25-11, 24-26, 25-23, 15-6 at Siegel to complete a perfect district regular season.

The win marked the first time all season that Siegel didn't beat its district opponent in three games.

"(Riverdale) pushed us," Siegel junior Brooke Faulkner said. "We wanted it, but they wanted it too."

Siegel earned the top seed in next week's District 7-AAA tournament at Riverdale with the win. Riverdale is the second seed.

Riverdale (26-17 overall, 8-2 in District 7-AAA) was in position to win the contest. Three Stephanie Click solo blocks in a four-point swing gave Riverdale a 23-21 lead in Game 4.

But Faulkner ended Riverdale's run with a kill before serving out the next three points to force a Game 5.

"They are definitely after us," Siegel first-year coach Ann Mullins said. "I told my girls we are definitely going to have to go to work. We're going to have to play these girls every time we play them."

Siegel trailed 4-3 in the fifth game when Olivia Nolan served seven consecutive points, including two aces. Faulkner had three kills in the run.

"My kids just came out ballin' in the fifth game," Mullins said. "They played great defense. They didn't let anything hit the floor. (Riverdale) didn't either. But we got a couple breaks and didn't let up."

Faulkner led Siegel (32-5, 10-0) with 19 kills. Molly Reidy added 12 kills. Heather Vandiver added four blocks. Setters Becca Cutter and Caroline Gay dished out 19 assists apiece.

Click led the Lady Warriors with 24 kills and seven blocks. Chelsea Ross added 12 kills and two aces. Kirsten Taylor had 11 kills and two aces. Setter Rachel Gocken had 34 assists.

"It was like a chess match against Ann Mullins," Riverdale coach Jerry Snider said. "I know I used four different lineups. She did too. We were trying to do what we could to get an advantage somewhere in the match."

Siegel played without senior Katie Horenkamp, who is out with an anterior cruciate ligament tear. Horenkamp provided a big presence at the net in their first meeting — a 3-0 Siegel win.

Teammate Megan Watson replaced Horenkamp at the net while Jacquelyn Leeman played in the back row for her.

"(Siegel) had dominated volleyball here for the last six years," Snider said. "For us to go from sixth place last year to coming here and having a chance to tie them for the district championship, I think we established that our program can play with them.

"They've got a great coach and great players, but so do we. The thing I told my girls is that we still haven't played our best volleyball."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------