BEST SOPHOMORES IN MID-SOUTH AREA

Guest COACH1999

Memphis area (west tn.)doesn't have All the top sophomores. Middle Tn. has a few.(Tyler Smith was mentioned)With all the ones mentioned are they true team players? Will they have a future after high school? What about character, do they have this? I think a lot goes in to choosing who are the Best in any class catagory. One of the ways to see if they are truly effective is when they are not in the game.What happens if they are on the bench? Does the team work without them or better. Good players are there for the team effort not the me effort. When looking at awesome players look at the whole picture. You left many out.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest COACH1999

Memphis doesnt have all the top sophomores, but they have a list from the most talented sophomores who are excelling on and off the court, preparing for the future. These guys have excellent conduct and character.

JP Prince - Whitestation - GPA 3.0

Lawrence Johnson - Fairley - GPA 3.0

Jordan Mincy - Ridgeway - GPA 3.0

Rico Seay - Raleigh Egypt - GPA 3.0

Duriel Temple - Melrose - GPA 3.0

Courtney Richardson - Fairley - GPA 4.0

Brandon Berry - Briacrest - GPA - 3.0

Collin Cunningham - Whitestation - GPA 4.0

Anthony Mason - Fairley - GPA 4.0

Brandon Allen - Bartlet - GPA 3.5

Matt Lea - ECS - GPA - 3.5

RouSean Cromwell - Fairley - GPA - 4.0

Calvin William - Hillcrest - GPA - 3.0

JP does not have any thing on that mincy kid. I think mincy made bad decision on going to rigdeway. Rigdeway just got 2 other tranfers.Briarcrest all ready have a squad. I play for ecs and when i some them guys play they where good. They have Brandon Berry who is ranked 5 on your list,Then Trey Lamokin he is a under rated player, And ross tapley you can pull the 3. I heard they had a tansfer thats 6'5 296.Rigdeway will have a good team thought. Jp will problemly be a star his junior year. I agree with temple at being top 2 guard but hight will stop him. hes only 5"11.

Every thing else is okay.

I hope Tyler stays all four years at Giles Co. But I know his talent, his father, his Summer Ball scene, his National attention, and the Oak Hill program's track record. Though he has no plans for Oak Hill at the moment, my bet is that he will be there by his Senior year (he may even go for his junior season). Again, I hope he stays, but, a la Ron Slay, Tyler will probably end up at Oak Hill.....

JP is the best player in Memphis...Reginald Owens is a good one too...but the best future is JP who is almost a full year younger then all the rest of the sophomores...and at 6'4-6'5, with a great jumper, great shot, and can take u in a 1-4 alignment straight to the hoop.

I don't know him personally...and I do know many of the top players on the original posters list...in fact I would say that i know around 15 to 16...and JP is by far the best...Cromwell might become better then any of them though, I am really proud of how that kid has stepped up and changed from "just a big tall kid who can block" to a guy who I have seen get the ball at the three point line, take two dribbles and make a reverse lay up...then steal the inbounds pass and score it. I really like both of these kids.

Guest COACH1999

TheEgoHasLanded,

When was the last time you saw JP play and where... I understand your apreciation for Owens game and everthing, but In all fairness, Owens is #1 in the State with Cromwell being the future star and #1 after this season ends. But I know JP personally and I've coached aganist him for years and have seen him play recently. Let me give you the differences to support this:

FACTS:

1. JP could not take you in a 1-4 set aganist a good team with quick quards. He dribbles tall, not low on the ball and he can go to the basket but doesnt attack it. Now there is a difference. Also he is not strong going to his right.

JP has a set shot which is good but not a jumper off the dribble......

2. Owens has moves in the post that I've not seen out of a 15-yr in a long time. He's played aganist some tough defenses this summer and could not be stopped. His jumper is pure, he attacks the basket, can handle the ball in the open floor on a fast break and he plays big in big games. Today this kid is the star.

3. JP will the benefit this year at Whitestation having Dane Bradshaw, Jonathan Ball and Travis Strong to help releive him in pressure situations. He will not be impact.

4. Owens will be the man, even with Cromwell there. Teams will focus on him and he plays stronger in those situations. Owens will be the go to man in the paint and will deliver. He's going to be a IMPACT PLAYER this year.

Now, I like JP a lot and respect his game. He's a player but lets be fair.

Also, JP is not the youngest, Cromwell is, followed by you know who..... Owens.........

You must be the 15's YOMCA coach, because all you do is talk about your players. Owens is a really good player im not going to say hes not, BUT you make it sound like hes some unstoppable force when in all reality I have seen that kid get stopped many times. I know I have seen Lawrence Kinnard stop him, along with Larricus Brown. The only drawback Owens might run into is his height if he doesnt keep growing. I do agree with you about JP tho, hes going to be a very very very good point guard when he grows into his body and gets stronger but as of now hes just a good player. I think that the best point guard in memphis right now is Josh Stafford.

I saw JP go 1-4 against Briarcrest last fall, I saw him this summer as well...I saw Cromwell at the MUS shootout...

Considering you are the coach of Owens and Cromwell you are obviously bias to them...I on the other hand do not have ties to them, and being unbias am telling you that Owens will have problems at 6'6...he needs to get taller etc.

Tyler Smith is regarded as a top 30 recruit...No one else but you is saying Owens is the best...

Guest COACH1999

Coach,

I'm only bias to good ball players. I've asked about Tyler, but nobody will provide me with more detailed info other than he's not going to be eligible for Div I out of HS. How tall is Tyler, I no he played up this summer, but I just havnt seen he play yet. I will this year and if he's the best I will clearly state that. Actually I look forward to seeing him play. If anybody has a tape on the kid, send it to me.

If you were at the MUS tournament, what did you think about the young Fairley team and there defense.

I'm going to stop chopping on JP, He's a good player.

And is going to be an outstanding talent along with a few others......