End of an Era, McKissack Retires

Knight

HOHENWALD, TN--Travis Mckissack retired Tuesday without doing the one thing he came to Memorial Park to do. Hang a championship banner from the Parks fence. With Travis, it was always something.

Terry Shipp got in the way.

Drew Robinson got in the way.

Even a teammate, Little Jerry Rodgers, once got in the way.

But when you examine Travis's 15 seasons in Hohenwald, there was always something missing: Another elite player to help Travis complete his mission. "When you look at Travis's teams in Hohenwald, he never really had that great player to work with,'' Middle School coach Hugh Smith said last spring. "I know, because I was his teammate and I know the kind of talent we had at the courts. ''A lot of good talent. But other than Travis, no great talent. And that translated into no titles.

As Coach Grinder later said, "I thought he was going to win us a lot of titles.'' But Travis failed to deliver one, which die-hard Memorial Park fans never have forgotten. Some never have forgiven Travis for that glaring hole in his Hall of Fame resume, which might be taking things too far. Later in his career, after he shattered his right knee, and he never was the same. "He's certainly in the top five,'' the great Howard Spears once said when asked where Travis ranks in Court's history.

For all his great shooting and a marvelous outside touch rarely seen from a post player, Travis never won a scoring title. For all his dominance, he never won the MVP. He made the All-Star Game 11 times, but the first-team All-Courts team just once. "You could not have done more for a ballpark.'' Coach Eugene Grinder said about his favorite park player. "Unfortunately, he didn't win a championship. But he conducted himself like a champion and put more into trying to win a championship than anyone else." ;)

[Edited by Knight on 9-18-02 9:06A]

Guest thestuff

What can we do to pay lasting tribute to a man of his stature. There has to be a way to immortalize McKissack at Memorial Park. we could possibly retire his number and hang a banner from the fence for all to recognize, players, trail runners, and dog walkers alike.

But no, a banner would not be enough. Sure, he never felt the glory of a memorial Park championship, be he revolutionized the way the game was played, from the days of the Genesco-side courts and making the transition to the present day courts. Maybe there is a way to have the official Memorial Park painting crew, clad in their orange jumpsuits, paint T-Mac and his jersey number at mid-court to remain as a lasting tribute to the real Memorial Park legend.

Many fans, former teammates, coaches, and yes, even rivals are reeling from yesterdays announcement on ESPN News, as well as here on CoachT. One anonymous former coach was quoted as saying, " I tant beweeve he twit like dat, jus twit. I will neber fordit wha he done fo me, as a pwayew, a toach and a fathuw fiduw." At least thats how this reporter translated it.

There are reports from Office 1, Memorial Park Drive that negotiations are underway for a one-day marathon of food, music, and fun to coincide with a tribute to McKissack. No word as to date or time, but a concert will be held on the very court which "T-Mac" played his last game. Rumours are that many former teammates, as well as McKissack, will be available for photos and autographs at some time during the day of tribute.

When reached for a comment on Tuesday, prior to his announcement, McKissack hinted that the end was near when he was not invited to games at Memorial Park on Sunday.

For now, the man who put the "Magic" in "Memorial Magic" is not available for comment.

I loved playing with Mckissack, but hated playing against him. He was a true competitor. His dedication and love for the game will be missed. I hope he and Clinton "White Wonder" Reeves have as much fun battling it out on the greens as much as they did on the asphalt. :D

[Edited by Kelt on 9-18-02 10:43A]

[Edited by Kelt on 9-18-02 10:44A]

There will never ever,ever be another Travis Mckissack!! Travis perfected the game. He could hit the running hook and then drain a three in your eye on the next play and chuckle all the way down the court. I've asked some of his former teammates and friends to make comments about Travis and I have decided to post them after such an overwhelming response.

Terry Shipp- Trav was a great post/wing player. But he could never kick a ball like me!

Little Jerry- I guess he ok, but he lacks respect for my game. Together we would dominate dogg.

Coach Grinder- Trav revolutionized the post postion and I'll take him coon hunting anytime.

Coach Smith- I'd take Trav on my team anyday. His hook was only matched by Jabar.

Richard Duval- thwat, why he leave, can i play?

Jonah Keltner-Trav made the courts what they are today, he will be missed greatly.

Josh Keltner- He taught me so much....saying goodbye will be hard.

Bobby Young-He stunk, I'm great......ok he was good.

Truck Driver Bob(green sweatpants)- Now maybe Trav will ride out west in my 18wheeler with me since he has retired. HAHAHA,I just hope we don't jackknife when caibu run in front of us on hwy99 in Arizona.

Galen Johnson-pivot pivot, he prefected the move.Maybe he could join my camp staff now.

Goodbye, The Legend of You Will Live ON! :D

There was more great action at the courts yesterday! Many players honored Trav by banking in jumper after jumper. I even saw the jump hook off the glass once and then heard "That's for you Travis". Biggest mistake of the day..Letting Evan Lawson go to the second round in the picks. After getting drafted lower than he should have Evan torched the team that overlooked him and led his team to 3 consecutive victories. Only after Evan left did his team lose 4 straight. All of the young guns showed up and played very well. But the team winning team of four straight(Mendez,Keltner,Keltner,Tim) suprised all with a shutout victory in the sixth game. Evan,Creasy,Lavett,Melton and Sparkman were the other players present. Sparkman added some excitment to the fifth game when he broke away and hammered one down.(first dunk in a game at the park since Price)! Great games guys, I had fun.

Not unlike Mike, I stated that the retirement was only a 95% sure thing. I left a window of opportunty open for a comeback. I did play about 3 weeks ago on the newly reconstructed knee and things went well. I have been doing private workouts and have been playing some ball in closed gyms with some of the parks greats. I feel good! The jump hook is there, and the jumper is still on. The cuts will be slower and the jumping ability is all but gone but I think I still have something to offer the game. The young guys out there need me. If need be, I will become a player coach just so I can keep my close ties with the game. At this time I would like to thank everyone for the kind comments and the gifts that have been sent to me. You have truely touched a soft spot in my heart and I will remember you guys always!!! :D

Posted by imasoftballer:

Not unlike Mike, I stated that the retirement was only a 95% sure thing. I left a window of opportunty open for a comeback. I did play about 3 weeks ago on the newly reconstructed knee and things went well. I have been doing private workouts and have been playing some ball in closed gyms with some of the parks greats. I feel good! The jump hook is there, and the jumper is still on. The cuts will be slower and the jumping ability is all but gone but I think I still have something to offer the game. The young guys out there need me. If need be, I will become a player coach just so I can keep my close ties with the game. At this time I would like to thank everyone for the kind comments and the gifts that have been sent to me. You have truely touched a soft spot in my heart and I will remember you guys always!!! :o

well i know i havent been round much. but i will miss the mckissak hook. and u said u all but lost your jumpin ability so does that knock your verticle from 1 inch to what nothin...lol im just playin. the one thing i remember bout trav. is the one quote i will never forget " a dunk is worth 2 points just like a jumper." well i expect to c u bak at the courts ne ways. i will stop by one day and embarass myself