MACON CO AT WHITE HOUSE

LARRYBIRD33

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WH 17 MC 3 with a few left

Listening to the game on the radio, MC announcers are commenting on one official. Can't see who they are talking about but from description, I am really curious if a guy named Pond is still officiating most WH games? Know for a fact from a relative that he graduated WHHS in the 60's and played sports there (saw a yearbook). He was the one that ref'd the WH - SC game too...the tv announcers called him by name. I thought there was something about TSSAA rules regarding officiating at your alma mater, but maybe I'm just thinking there should be.

And the commentators are mentioning alot of "extra curricular".... ????

Greenbriercat2 - I so glad that you know this for a fact. You have posted this on every thread since the Greenbrier game. If so, we did not get any benefits from it during the Greenbrier game. Had we, all the chopblocks - you know where 2 players are engaged and another comes and takes the player out at the ankles - would have been called. There were at least 5 that night by the same two players. Two players from WH was sent to the ER that night and the same 2 players did it to both boys. One player had a sprained ankle, he has not returned to play as of yet, the other not so lucky. He has a broken leg, a broken ankle, surgery to put pins in both his ankle and leg and has 2 more surgeries to go. He is done for the rest of the year. These were no calls by the refs. Where was the benefit there?

As for extracurricular tonight - was you there? Did you see it? I was there. There was extracurricular by both teams. If so, then why when we recover a fumble, change of players on the field and then, they change their mind? Where was the replay? Do we have replay in high school?

If this is so, I have seen no benefits whatsoever at all this year.

WH 17 MC 3 with a few left

Listening to the game on the radio, MC announcers are commenting on one official. Can't see who they are talking about but from description, I am really curious if a guy named Pond is still officiating most WH games? Know for a fact from a relative that he graduated WHHS in the 60's and played sports there (saw a yearbook). He was the one that ref'd the WH - SC game too...the tv announcers called him by name. I thought there was something about TSSAA rules regarding officiating at your alma mater, but maybe I'm just thinking there should be.

And the commentators are mentioning alot of "extra curricular".... ????

bdp, this is not about our game because I am not pretending that anything would have changed that. Sorry about your guys being hurt, it's football. My question is about having an officiating at his/your alma mater. I wouldn't think TSSAA wouldn't allow that because there is bound to be some bias. I just know that the announcers definitely said his name in what little they showed on CSS...and it was AT WH during the WH-SC game. It is just questionable to me and should be coaches and TSSAA to make sure it is not a problem. Was I there? No...the flu has kept me in. Because we don't have live radio replay, I've listened to WH games. From radio replays, and what I've seen with my own eyes, the AFTER the play activity is not new.

I don't pretend to know TSSAA rules with their refs. Their refs don't know what they are doing. I would assume that they would have to fill out some paperwork stating where they live and where they went to school. If you found out all this info then I am sure that TSSAA can find out the same info. I have no confidence in TSSAA refs this year. Supposedly at the Goodpasture game you cannot add time to the clock, they didn't have a problem adding time to the clock at WH last night. Not just once but several times. Did WH have the ball when they did this? No, Macon County did.

As for the extracurricuar activity after the play. Everyone has player that do this. White House has several that do, Greenbrier has several that do, Macon County had several that did, Portland had several that did, Station Camp has some - I could go on. As you told me about the injuries - that's just football. It happens. I hope the player who is in a wheelchair and on crutches through February realizes that he had something that should have been a penalty done to him and it wasn't called and the other two players went on to do the same thing, with no penalties and get to play the rest of the year - that it was just football. Last night both teams had extras going on. It was football.

bdp, this is not about our game because I am not pretending that anything would have changed that. Sorry about your guys being hurt, it's football. My question is about having an officiating at his/your alma mater. I wouldn't think TSSAA wouldn't allow that because there is bound to be some bias. I just know that the announcers definitely said his name in what little they showed on CSS...and it was AT WH during the WH-SC game. It is just questionable to me and should be coaches and TSSAA to make sure it is not a problem. Was I there? No...the flu has kept me in. Because we don't have live radio replay, I've listened to WH games. From radio replays, and what I've seen with my own eyes, the AFTER the play activity is not new.

I've heard the same thing about the ref for a few years now. It's not really about the "extracurricular" which is bad when it happens anytime. It's about having a ref in a game that he shouldn't be in. Springfield had this happen a few years back when a graduate was one of the refs (great guy, friend of mine) but he had to quit calling games involving his alma mater.

I don't post much...but can we stop this already?

The referee's name is Al Pond and he calls very, very, very, very few White House games. I do not believe that he has called a White House game this year, but if so, it is only one. Al Pond has a very good crew, by the way. They are not a low-rated officiating crew. However, Al Pond and his crew do call the scrimmages for White House every year, and they handle a lot of freshmen games, so you do see them often in White House. But during the regular season? Not so much. In fact, I think it used to be more frequent than it is now.

I am not an expert on who the officiating crews are. But at the first game of the season, the White House community honored "Doc", who passed away last year and officiated something like 40 years. His crew is the most frequent, and because of their success, the most popular and well respected crew around this area including at White House. When Doc died, his son took over and the officials locker room at White House is named in Doc's honor.

AND FINALLY...

The crew at last night's game was brand new. I have never seen them before. The clock operator evidently had all kinds of trouble and it appeared (I'm not being funny) that the head official was blind. Every time he took out his notebook to write a penalty or a timeout down, the game had to be delayed because he couldn't see what he was doing. It was bad for both sides but every second lost was put back on the clock.