Wrestling Clinics/Traveling Team

Guest glgreen

I will be looking into the rules for that. I know that where I came from, when the regular season was over, it was no problem. The traveling team I had before consisted of year round "youth" wrestling and Middle/High school after their season. Members of the wrestling club received our normal "weekend" camps as part of their club membership and received discounts at our week camps.

I am in the process of starting a club in the MidTN area and I am trying to see what type of support I can expect from the wrestling community in the area. If you are an interested athlete, parent or coach, please reply. I am also looking for some help in the coaching arena and would like to talk to any interested coaches.

I was pretty successful with the last club and I am looking to start a long-term club here. At first attempt I thought it was going to be a real flop (I started with six kids). After the first year this number quickly went to about fifty youth and twenty year-round members (with a lot less population to draw from). I know we can have a successful proram, but I don't want to do it all on my own.

ANY input will be appreciated.

You might start by telling people who you are and what credentials you have. It might also help your cause if you would tell people what club you last had or what club you were involved in. Most people are just simply curious as to who might be coaching their kids, and how you run a club program. I think these things might help you get started. Good luck and I hope you have tremendous success.

Mr. Green

Many who read this board may have an interest in what you are offering but we will need a little more info. Could you please post some information regarding your experience, credentials, location, wrestling style (Free, Folk, or Greco) and your general plan? There are wrestlers in this state (both youth and high school) that travel to tournaments throughout the country. Many, including myself, would welcome an organized effort.

Just my opinion.....but a qualified coach with no direct school affiliation would have little trouble attracting many of the best wrestlers in this state to participate. Following the State Tournament, many wrestlers move into Freestyle competition and what little organized effort there is, is dedicated to that style. The problem is that there are many, many wrestlers interested in continuing to wrestle in Folkstyle events. The Tennessee Wrestling Federation, with its' affiliation with USA Wrestling, has provided no organization towards competition in Folfstyle events. In other words, when wrestlers wish to continue wrestling through the spring and summer...YOUR ON YOUR OWN!!!

Here are just a few of the available tournaments;

ú National State Wrestling Duals Championship

Grades 4-12, May 25-27, 2003, Norfolk / Virginia Beach, Virginia

ú National Open Wrestling Championships,

Grades 4-12 / College / Open, June 30-July 2, 2003, Norfolk / Virginia Beach, Virginia

ú Cliff Keen Athletic Reno World of Wrestling Championships April 4, 5, & 6, 2003

ú AAU Folkstyle Nationals April 17-19, 2003

ú AAU All American Middle School Championships

ú AAU Southern Nationals

ú AAU Middle School Duals

ú Apr 26, 2003-- Ohio Tournament of Champions

If anyone has any other information on this subject, I would welcome discussion on this thread.

Commoner

I have about 12 years of wrestling experience. I was a three time state qualifier in WV. Our wrestling club there started very small, but with quality wrestlers. We hosted wrestling camps and helped get discounted rates at other camps. Several of the kids that I coached attended Ken Chertow's Gold Medal Camp over the last several years, and this is one of the camps that we will try to attend. I also have very good friends (some of whom were colligate All-Americans) that I have already contacted regarding camps here (week-end and possibly one week-long camp).

I haven't finalized my plans as of now on an exact format for the year-round club, but I anticipate approximately two weekends a month in the off-season (this is going to be determined by the level/amount of participation)as well as the possibility of some non-organized in season training.

I am looking to folk more than free, but my initial thought is that we will have some exposure to this as well. There are several people I am going to be working with to try to get something set up, but I'm not real certain how to get the word out locally (without going school to school and/or spending a fortune).