A Football Poem for Mom's/Dad's

UpNorth

So I normally stay quiet on here and just like reading the topics. Being from Ohio I do not have much insight on the programs down there only when I come down to visit. But I came across this poem and thought that every parent should read this and remember how fast these times go by. This poem is especially fitting for those senior parents out there with the season winding down. I have modified it to include the dads as this was a football mom poem but I know us dads out there still feel the same way. So enjoy feel free to share it with others.......

Dear FOOTBALL MOM/DAD,

You dreaded this year’s arrival, but it has come just the same. A year full of promise, but so many “last times.”

Over the years you have helped with countless team meals, washed mounds of sweaty uniforms, chauffeured to more early morning practices then you care to remember.

You have been top-of-the-world elated when your son has had a good night and endured his deathlike silences when he hasn’t. It is amazing how the family mood bobs with the rhythm of each game.

You have laughed, cried, screamed, sulked, pouted, sweat, pulled your hair, bit your nails, bit your tongue, paced, worried, shoved, frowned, and smiled all very gracefully and within a two hour span.

Such is the life of a football mom/dad.

You may not be in on the big play, but you feel the thrill of victory and the agony of defeat right along with your son. You keep your composure when some fan behind you wants your son’s head while the opponent on the field is mashing it into the grass. “Get off him, that's my baby” you’d like to shout!

You breath football at this time of year, especially this time of year when your heart whispers “just a little longer” as the season slides by. You plead and bargain, knowing full well that some other mother/father on the opponent's team is making her/his own deal with the Almighty, But you do it anyway, because you no more want it to end than your son does. You do not want to see the desperation in his eyes and the pain on his face as he struggles to put away childhood dreams. You are helpless in the stands, with no way to make it better.

Is it worth it?

YOU BET IT IS!

Every lost game sock, busy Friday night. Every recovering Saturday, every aspirin, every ruined hair do, hot bath, goose bumps, and every obnoxious fan and sports writer you’ve had to tolerate is worth it. The fun isn’t measured by how many times your son gets into the newspaper, the game, or what he does when he gets there.

The fun- what makes those trips to the ER for the pigskin stitches all worthwhile, is watching a game, What a sport experience can do to convert your little boy into a young man. Watching him tackle the world and you have a front row seat.

You still see that rambunctious 5 yr old playing football in the yard. You bite your lip and hold back the tears because though you are fiercely proud of the young man he has become, you miss the boy. In fact you mourn for all the little boys. You have watched them grow up together, plot and scheme together, win and lose together. They have raided your kitchen, camped out in your basement, stole your heart. They are blessed with something they will never have again. They know it and you know it.

So you pray that wonder will last another game, and then another, because as long as it does, you hang on to a piece of your boy for a bit longer. Watching him walk off that field one last time will be no less painful then giving birth to him all those years ago.

We will miss this group of young men.

We will miss watching them run on to the field like soldiers going to battle, the hi-fives after a great play, the chest slams after a great tackle, the celebrations over a big win and the sober faces after a disappointing loss. We will missing watching the boys we love, play the game they love .Football.

Anonymous

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a good one. It's always tough this time of year. I don't have a dog in the hunt but know several people that do and I know it'll be tough on them. It's part of IT and its why it makes these games so special. Unlike any other sport, once it's over it's over. You can't get 22 guys to suit up and play football after high school. We tried it without pads and after about 5 ER visits we decided to shut er down. :bored:

Moto you must have been part of the same league I was in up here!! LOL We tried as well and didnt quite work out how we had planned! Oh well there is nothing like playing under those Friday Night Lights!!

I have a boy in middle school right now that their season just ended. I told him to take it all in because before he knows it he will blink and it will be the last game of his senior year.

Thanks for sharing. I've been out on the practice field with mine for four years now. Gonna be tough when we have that senior night in another week. I know now what many have told me in the past. It's a very empty feeling knowing his career is coming to an end. Luckily I have a step-son who is a sophmore so I'll get to experience Friday night lights for a couple of more years as a parent.

great story and so true it does hit home hard i guess the thing us old die hard faithfuls will have to do is continue the tradition heck high school football is great there is no reason why you cant continue to support it so whgat you dont have a son out there but this is true words here someone does keep it alive the programs through the whole country need the support to survive true your era is over but no reason why you can support your neighbors son :thumb:

great story and so true it does hit home hard i guess the thing us old die hard faithfuls will have to do is continue the tradition heck high school football is great there is no reason why you cant continue to support it so whgat you dont have a son out there but this is true words here someone does keep it alive the programs through the whole country need the support to survive true your era is over but no reason why you can support your neighbors son :roflol:

And that's how we roll in JB country!!! :roflol:

great story and so true it does hit home hard i guess the thing us old die hard faithfuls will have to do is continue the tradition heck high school football is great there is no reason why you cant continue to support it so whgat you dont have a son out there but this is true words here someone does keep it alive the programs through the whole country need the support to survive true your era is over but no reason why you can support your neighbors son :roflol:

And that's how we roll in JB country!!! :roflol:

true so true. i haven't lived in cedar hill in yrs but can't and don't want to not be seeing those friday night lights. lots of memories and emotions come to life just watching these games being played out, boys becoming men right in front of us just amazing :bored: