Chuckey-Doak Student Tragedy ?

CHAMPDDS

Region1 Semi

Greeneville over Chuckey-Doak by forfeit. (This is due to recent student tragedies at Chuckey-Doak)

Didn't want to ask this under the A/AA scores where I read this....What happened ?

D

Did find this, but no idea what happened:

October 28, 2009

Lady Knights Elect Not To Play Soccer

Published: 9:43 AM, 10/28/2009

Source: The Greeneville Sun

BY JOE BYRD

ASSISTANT SPORTS EDITOR

In the wake of tragedies involving students at the school, Chuckey-Doak elected to forfeit its Region 1 soccer semifinal match with Greeneville.

The match was scheduled for Tuesday, but the team did not feel it was the best time to play. The two schools considered moving the match to tonight, but upon further discussion, the Lady Knights voted to end their season.

"I talked to the girls, and we decided we didn't want to play," said Chuckey-Doak coach Anna Ricker. "We voted as a team, and it was unanimous. With the tragedies we've had, we just didn't want to play. We wish Greeneville the best."

With the win, Greeneville advances to Thursday night's region championship and Sub-State on Saturday.

Greeneville coach John Eiskamp said the Lady Devils hate to take a free pass rather than give Chuckey-Doak its chance to advance.

"Given the situation, I certainly understand," Eiskamp said. "Anna and I talked at length, and it was left up to her and her team. Our thoughts are with their team during this time of loss."

Tuesday's other semifinal between Elizabethton and University High was also postponed because of weather. That game will be played tonight.

The region final is set for Thursday, but there is some question about exactly who will host.

According to the TSSAA, the finalist from District 1 (Elizabethton or University High) will host the championship match. It was voted upon at the region coaches' preseason meeting and decided that the highest seeded team (Greeneville) will host.