Tentative AAU Tournament schedule

DoctorEvil

Team Ga has a great program. USA & AAU tried to work together last year on the schedule, but it failed.

It is my understanding that TSSAA does not want the athletes continuing folkstyle post state tournament, thus USA promotes freestyle to comply with rulings. Freestyle & Greco is the olympic style of wrestling and typically seen at the college level. They simply build from the foundation of folkstyle to move the athlete into freestyle & greco.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sundancer-

The most courteous response I have for your post is that you and most of those involved with the Tennessee Wrestling Federation are Out Of Touch with the interests of wrestlers, coaches and parents in Tennessee. That is the exact reason why the TWF has never and will never receive widespread support.

Your post said.......

It is my understanding that TSSAA does not want the athletes continuing folkstyle post state tournament, thus USA promotes freestyle to comply with rulings. Freestyle & Greco is the olympic style of wrestling and typically seen at the college level. They simply build from the foundation of folkstyle to move the athlete into freestyle & greco.

Are you the hired Spin Doctor of the TWF? Show me where I can find any information that the TSSAA does not want athletes continuing to wrestle Folkstyle. That is silly. Why would the TSSAA take a stand against one style in favor of another? That's like telling Track athletes that if they compete in post-season events, they have to run backwards or telling golfers that anyone who is right handed can play but it has to be left handed. I can assure you...there may be someone in the ranks of the TSSAA that does not favor post-season participation but that's as far as it will ever go. If they venture into wrestling that also opens the questions about summer track, baseball, basketball, swimming and golf.

The only people who ever bring this up are the Freestyle people.

About the rest of your post...you are way off base on Team Georgia also. (More TWF/Freestyle spin doctoring)

You are right and wrong about Team Georgia. They DO have a great organization and are miles ahead of Tennessee. However, you are TOTALLY WRONG in saying they "move kids" into Free and Greco. TG is basically a Folkstyle organization. Sure, there are some kids who compete in Freestyle and Greco, but the bulk of the kids do not, have not and will not "move" in to Free and Greco.

If the TWF is ever going to take off in Tennessee as TG has done in Georgia, then the focus will have to be shifted to Folkstyle. It will NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER EVER happen with the focus on USA Freestyle. The pool of Folkstyle wrestlers in Tennessee is in the thousands. On the other hand, the TWF is supporting and promoting a style that has a pool of available wrestlers that is in the low hundreds at best.

There is certainly nothing wrong with Freestyle and Greco but the interest of the masses is in Folkstyle. You may respond to that by pointing out that there are thousands of entries every year in Fargo. I will respond by saying IF there was only a few major Folkstyle tournaments every year, there would be tens of thousands wrestlers at each event. There are dozens of "National" Folkstyle events every year along with hundreds upon hundreds of local and regional tournaments and still people complain there are not enough.

If you go back to the late 80's wrestling coaches were not allowed to work out with their teams in the off season. When the Sports' Fest was created in 1990, there was a push to have all sports in this event. Part of the rationale was that freestyle was different and this allowed coaches to open their rooms for kids to workout. Since that time there have been mutiple warnings that the "no restrictions" for wrestling could be removed.

There have been some TWF events that have been folkstyle.

As far as Georgia is concerned, do AAU and USA Wrestling work together? I have been informed, NO.

Posted by Silverbullet:

Sundancer-

The most courteous response I have for your post is that you and most of those involved with the Tennessee Wrestling Federation are Out Of Touch with the interests of wrestlers, coaches and parents in Tennessee. That is the exact reason why the TWF has never and will never receive widespread support.

Your post said.......

Are you the hired Spin Doctor of the TWF? Show me where I can find any information that the TSSAA does not want athletes continuing to wrestle Folkstyle. That is silly. Why would the TSSAA take a stand against one style in favor of another? That's like telling Track athletes that if they compete in post-season events, they have to run backwards or telling golfers that anyone who is right handed can play but it has to be left handed. I can assure you...there may be someone in the ranks of the TSSAA that does not favor post-season participation but that's as far as it will ever go. If they venture into wrestling that also opens the questions about summer track, baseball, basketball, swimming and golf.

The only people who ever bring this up are the Freestyle people.

About the rest of your post...you are way off base on Team Georgia also. (More TWF/Freestyle spin doctoring)

You are right and wrong about Team Georgia. They DO have a great organization and are miles ahead of Tennessee. However, you are TOTALLY WRONG in saying they "move kids" into Free and Greco. TG is basically a Folkstyle organization. Sure, there are some kids who compete in Freestyle and Greco, but the bulk of the kids do not, have not and will not "move" in to Free and Greco.

If the TWF is ever going to take off in Tennessee as TG has done in Georgia, then the focus will have to be shifted to Folkstyle. It will NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER EVER happen with the focus on USA Freestyle. The pool of Folkstyle wrestlers in Tennessee is in the thousands. On the other hand, the TWF is supporting and promoting a style that has a pool of available wrestlers that is in the low hundreds at best.

There is certainly nothing wrong with Freestyle and Greco but the interest of the masses is in Folkstyle. You may respond to that by pointing out that there are thousands of entries every year in Fargo. I will respond by saying IF there was only a few major Folkstyle tournaments every year, there would be tens of thousands wrestlers at each event. There are dozens of "National" Folkstyle events every year along with hundreds upon hundreds of local and regional tournaments and still people complain there are not enough.

I don't spin anything, I'm just from a wrestling state that does promote both folkstyle, freestyle & greco. Fortunately I do understand how all three styles make a great athlete.

I'm not in the AAU/USA debate, my son has wrestled both. He goes where the mats are available and will wrestle which ever style needs to be wrestled for the mat time. It would be nice if everyone would get on the same page and not battle. For these kids to move on into college and beyond with this sport they need mat time, that's the bottom line.

In regarding to moving kids into the other styles, I was not talking about Team Ga, but at the college level. If the athletes have olympic potential it is necessary.

I've also heard many coaches and athletic leaders discuss the issues of folkstyle wrestling post the State Tournament. If TSSAA decided to push the button and the wrestling gyms shut down, where will the kids get mat time?

Wouldn't you like to see your child or another Tennessee native wrestling at the olympics? :confused:

[Edited by sundancer on 10-5-02 10:53A]

[Edited by sundancer on 10-5-02 10:59A]

I was at the first Team Georgia meet on October 5th. It was well run, lots of wrestlers.The only complants I have was the gym had no air conditioning(not TG fault), and the way

they did the brackets for a odd number of wrestlers. Round

robin is the best way to bracket if 5 or less wrestlers. I talked with several people and most said they go from USA to AAU wrestling depending on the tournament and the travel time. Most wrestlers were from Georgia and Alabama, with

some from South Carolina and Florida. If the mat is open wrestlers will come.

Michael Morelan

[Edited by morelanmn on 10-8-02 2:47P]

morelanmn,

I noticed on their website that the age divisions were kids 10 and under, and also kids 10 and up. One was wrestled in the morning and the other group in the afternoon. How did that work this past weekend? If a kid is 10, which group would be correct? About how many were in each weight class in the kids divisions? Thanks.

Walkenvol, I cannot be of much help to you. We came in near

noon and the younger wrestlers were finishing up their matches. Still I saw 25+ young wrestlers, also there was no girl wrestlers. A parent said the reason they wrestled the younger wrestlers first was the younger wrestlers burn themselfs out waiting to wrestle and it allows the wrestlers that play highschool football to compete also. Could you see the look on the Tennessee football coachs if that happened here.

Michael Morelan

• 3 weeks later...

Today I was reading a thread on The Mat and a person named "Mobius One" was bashing AAU wrestling. I posted in the thread and later I went back and The Mat had removed the complete thread. I was surprised. Is this common? They had several good comments on AAU wrestling and USA wrestling.

Update: All is going great in Georgia USA. Nice people, some good matches. It appears more wrestlers are there each weekend. On Nov.2 they have a meet in Canton called "The Peach State Open". I am still seeing the Alabama, and South Carolina wrestlers at the meets.

Michael Morelan

• 2 weeks later...

We are back from the "Peach State Open" great school,

but this meet wasn't ran very well. Several brackets were incorrect and they had way too many breaks. At one time the parents started to applause when we started to wrestle.

Also it is very apparent that USA wrestling or Georgia hasn't come to grips with girls wrestling. I saw 3 young girls and two teenage ladies and the two teenage ladies wrestled themselfs, the younger girls wrestled where they should. The father of these girls said that USA hadn't made any thought to having girl wrestlers.

On the good side it was a easy trip, easy to find, and there was 4 officials for each mat. Five mats were out in the morning session, four mats in the afternoon.

Michael Morelan