1A Playoffs. TSSAA got it wrong.

croz6110

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep, WC got the #1 and Jo Byrns the #2. WC and Cwood will probably have a rematch Nov. 13th. crazy!

The is the craziest stuff I've ever seen. Why can't the TSSAA make up a bracket and match teams that have NOT played against each other all year long? I know driving distance is a big thing but teams can play other teams (outside of their region) within 100 miles that they haven't played all year long. In a week or so they will have to travel anyway. There are several teams within 100 miles of Wayne County that are playing but WC is going to play Collinwood/McEwen winner next week(WC has played both teams). If it is Collinwood then WC will have to play C'wood back to back games. Cornersville & Perry County are having to play back to back games as well. I think this whole bracket (statewide) is a big mess. I hope they will rethink this before next year.

I think havin the 2 only undefeated teams in 1A ball in the same quad is messed up but that's just me :lol:

How many 2a, 3a, and 4a schools did those undefeated teams play? SP played 2 1a teams that were in their district. In fact, 7 of those 2a (Boyd, Cascade, Marion County, Signal Mtn), 3a (Grundy Co., & Polk Co.), and 4a (Chatt Central) teams are in the playoffs.

Wayne County played 5 2a, 3a, and 4a teams. Three of them (one from each class) made it to the playoffs. 7 of WC's 10 opponents are in the playoffs. The 3 teams who did not make it were in WC's 8 team region. All three non-district oppenents made it into the playoffs. I am not sure about Jo Byrns, but I believe their schedule was about the same. Both of these teams are legitimate. They did not search for non-district cupcake teams to play.

The playoff sytem is messed up, but the truth is only 19 teams in 1a had winning records (including 4 0.500 teams), and all of them are in the playoffs with a chance to win the state championship. That is about all you can ask for of any playoff system.

Just read in the Tennessean that Childress is considering going back to the old playoff system where they take the top 4 teams in each district. In region 4, does that mean the top 4 1a teams and the top 4 2a teams? I smell another realignment. :roflolk:

Childress doesn't know what he is talking about. They NEVER took the top 4 from each District. The took the top 2 from each District. Each Region had 2 Districts in it so it came out to 4 from each region. Then they went to the Region format where they took the top 4 but Districts had been eliminated. In Tennessee, a District has historically had a different meaning than a Region and was always a subdivision of a Region anytime they have been used.

Edit: Childress is obviously NOT qualified for his current position. I wonder if he knows how long a football field is.

I am sure he meant region. Going back to 5 classes would just bring back the travel issues, though.

If that is the case, they could "make" it work and keep the current districts for the regular season until the next classification period. However, I think they should go with 4 classes with districts within regions and call it good.

Around Chattanooga, here is how they could be divided in 4 classes. 12 regions across the state in each class. Determining what to do on some regions being larger than others would be a potential problem. I'd say 2 from each district up to 5, 3 if it's 7 or 8. Signal will likely move up soon, another reason for not putting the 8 last AA teams together.

1A

Copper Basin High School 222

Silverdale Baptist Academy 236-425

Grace Baptist Academy 241-433

Boyd Buchanan High School 278-500

South Pittsburg High School 243

Lookout Valley High School 253

Whitwell High School 382

Signal Mountain High School 454

Marion Co. High School 494

2A

Tellico Plains High School 515

Polk Co. High School 603

Meigs Co. High School 559

Sweetwater High School 667

McMinn Central High School 802

Bledsoe Co. High School 542

Sequatchie Co. High School 681

Grundy Co. High School 757

Chattanooga Christian School 428-770

Tyner Academy 553

Howard School of Academics & Tech. 695

Hixson High School 761

East Ridge High School 857

3A

Brainerd High School 906

Notre Dame High School 507-913

East Hamilton 948

Red Bank High School 981

Sequoyah High School 982

Chattanooga Central High School 1065

Cleveland High School 1303

4A

Walker Valley High School 1459

Rhea Co. High School 1472

McMinn Co. High School 1530

Soddy-Daisy High School 1570

Bradley Central High School 1682

Ooltewah High School 1909

About the Wayne County-Jo Byrns situation....I also think it is completely stupid of the TSSAA to put the #1 team (Jo Byrns) and the #2 team (Wayne County) in the same bracket....and also I thought the change in the playoffs was to get rid of teams that had a losing record and also to cut down on traveling? But instead theres 9 teams with a losing record (counting .500 teams)....what was wrong with the old system? This whole thing is a complete screw-up by the TSSAA and they need to get it fixed....

About the Wayne County-Jo Byrns situation....I also think it is completely stupid of the TSSAA to put the #1 team (Jo Byrns) and the #2 team (Wayne County) in the same bracket....and also I thought the change in the playoffs was to get rid of teams that had a losing record and also to cut down on traveling? But instead theres 9 teams with a losing record (counting .500 teams)....what was wrong with the old system? This whole thing is a complete screw-up by the TSSAA and they need to get it fixed....

Even if it was last years system in place, they would still potentially have had to play in the 3rd round anyway. In fact last year, the best match-up occurred in the 3rd round. Plus, even if they had put one or the other in the other bracket where Huntington & Union City are some schools would be feel like they were getting the shaft.

Just read in the Tennessean that Childress is considering going back to the old playoff system where they take the top 4 teams in each district. In region 4, does that mean the top 4 1a teams and the top 4 2a teams? I smell another realignment. :thumb:

Childress doesn't know what he is talking about. They NEVER took the top 4 from each District. The took the top 2 from each District. Each Region had 2 Districts in it so it came out to 4 from each region. Then they went to the Region format where they took the top 4 but Districts had been eliminated. In Tennessee, a District has historically had a different meaning than a Region and was always a subdivision of a Region anytime they have been used.

Edit: Childress is obviously NOT qualified for his current position. I wonder if he knows how long a football field is.