THE Best 12 Duos in the STATE................

gomab2

Here are my BEST of the BEST duos in the State....

-----Dandy Dozen------

1)East-Jerrell Houston and Marcus Hammond-Both are among the Top 5 players in their class. Houston may be the best Jr in the state, and Hammond is at the least a legit Mid Major prospect...

2)Dyer Co-Montrelle Crittendon and Brian Fisk-Both players are potential Mid Major D-1 stars. Both can be placed anywhere in the Top 10 of 2003 list. These two will both average 20ppg this year...

3)White Station-Travis Strong and Dane Bradshaw (or Jonathon Ball, or JP Prince, etc)-This team is so deep, any two out of about 6 could make the list. Bradshaw is headed to UT and Strong is a Mid Major recruit...

4)Hamilton-Shawne Williams and Courtney Bohannon-staying with the trend of West Tn/Memphis teams, these two 6'8 kids are legit D-1 players. Williams contends with Houston for the best of 2004, and maybe the best any class, as he is a 6'8 Wing who can shoot...

5)Giles Co-Shay Shannon and Tyler Smith-both started for the prestigious SE Pump'n' Run (AL) over the summer. Both are Top 75 in their class nationally. They will give a Middle Tn team the best chance at a AA State title in some years...

6)Maplewood-Ronald Taylor and Barry Gardner-two Tn Travelers make for one of the best inside-outside combos. Taylor will end up a four year starter, and Gardner is a budding STAR...

7)Fayette Ware-Dez Harris and Frank Holmes-Holmes is another major talent from the Class of 2004, and Harris, though wild at times, is still a D-1 prospect...

8)Howard-Sir Lee Mason and Ricky Harper-One of the best guard combos in the State, Mason and Harper combine for the Quickest backcourt imaginable. Both can shoot, drive, and have very quick hands...

9)Kenwood-Antwan Harris and Mike Sampson-these two Forwards are as athletic and show as much heart as any in the State. Both are D-1 players...

10)Smyrna-Kenyonna Swader and Brett Warner-Swader is a 6'8 Wing, while Warner is a budding 6'9 post. Both could use another Big Mac or thirty, but both are Mid Major prospects at the time being...

11)Portland-Corey Brewer and John Ferguson-These two 6'7 kids can really play. Brewer is a High Major prospect, and Ferguson is one of the better Middle tn posts...

12)Covington-Patrick Alston and Donnell Mayben-this is if Alston is still at Covington, and not the rumored prep school. Alston is a smooth, athletic wing, and Mayben, though just a soph, can play with any post in the State...

[Edited by gomab2 on 9-22-02 4:34P]

I'm really disappointed that you neglected the top Class A duo in the state. Jake Skogen and Ryan Wadley are very good and they have played together for many years. Lets not forget that both led their team to the state championship. Both could be nominated for Mr. Basketball. You have always slighted the Temple program. Why? Look for them to be back this year!! In fact Ryan Wadley is not even in your player rankings. Ryan is being recruited by many different schools. These two are both very unselfish and will make any college program better. :D

I haven't consistently slighted Temple. I had them ranked very high ALL of last year....

Skogen and Wadley are a very good backcourt. They would definitely be an honorable mention duo. There are so many talented duos out there, some had to get left off. I really like Skogen, and think he is a Mid Major D-1 player. LaVergne, Bolivar, Jackson North Side, and Mt Juliet all have duos that rival Temple's and they were left off as well.

Of course i'm gonna have to throw in my 2 cents here. If all of these other ones are considered then the inside/outside combination of Bartlett's Ben Frederick and Jaycean Herring. Word back home has it that Jaycean is the one that is really dominating right now. He's grown to 6'4" and has arms down to his knees. He's dunking on everyone from what i've been told. He is your textbook slasher, and I mean textbook. Plays just like Jeremy Hunt of Craigmont/U of M. Doesn't have great quickness and everything looks like he's in slow motion but he's JUST THAT SMOOTH!!! He just has great "basketball moves." Also, Bolton's combo of Darrly Sommerset and Fred Peete has to be consider also. I've expressed my opinion on Sommerset, but he still has all the tools to be a great player. Peete is the real deal. If Sommerset decides to just play and quit whining and causing trouble on the court, Bartlett and Bolton could be the best 2 teams in Region 7AAA.

Hey listen .....the Temple boys are better than honorable mention there Gomab.... I had the opportunity to see them put a whippin on Unaka last year and I saw them in the state tournament.....these two boys can play....i look for them to be back in the state and possibly repeat....Give them some props man....

I give the Temple boys props....but what great Top 12 Duo would you put the Temple boys ahead of??? They are good, but there are other great combos. LaVergne's Koger and Darden are better than the Temple boys, any day, any time. Bolivar's Wiley and Lake are right there as well. So are Columbia's Wadele Williams and Jeremy Brown (or anyone else on the Columbia team, for that matter).....There is actually talent out there (if you can believe it) outside of Class A basketball-even outside of Unaka and Temple!!!

I agree, I've been talkin about those Henry Co boys in other post..People just havent heard much from Henry Co but they have two players thats as good as anybody.. And I agree that they may be better or as good as Mike Sampson and Antwon Harris..Being from Clarksville I see those two play more than the Henry boys but boy was I impressed when I saw them play last year.. Those two games will be two of the better match ups this year in high school basketball..Look for a Sturdivient-Sampson and Teague-Harris Matchup..two SR-JR combos and they both play the same position, well the Henry Co players may be more versatile than Kenwoods. but it'll be a great game to watch.

By the way the game last year at Kenwood vs Henry was close in the first half only to see Sturdivient come out and score the Patriots first ten points of the second half.