Division I State Championships

MTSUDrummer

Fantastic weather this past Saturday at the Div. I State Championships. Here is a recap of finals.

10) DCA- (Superheroes) Nice beginng (Spiderman)with the percussion ensemble, but seemed to drag along the rest of the show. Never really seemd to take the phrase over the edge and finish their crescendos. Liked the chuck Taylor band shoes!! Weak hornline, really good guard, descent drumline. IMO should have been 9th.

9) Oliver Springs- (Bon Jovi) Smallest band in finals. Probably the most entertaining show of the night. Big sound for a small band, but they sounded like they tried to hard in the hornline playing. Awesome trombone solo to start the show, and an AMAZING tenor player who played some smoking 4-malet stuff mallet as well. Good hornline, marginal color guard, top notch drumline. IMO should have been 7th

8) McKenzie- (Don't remember the show title) I was suprised they were even in finals, much less 8th. Must have done really well in visual, becuase the hornline and drumline were not very good, but the guard made up for them. The drum major seemed to have some problems, and was a distraction. IMO should have been 10th.

7) Huntingdon- (Jazz I think) GREAT TRUMPET SOLO!!! WOW!!! Fun show to watch, probably the 2nd most entertaining show. Really good drum major. Drumline was solid, hornline was good, guard held their own. Visual left a little to be desired. IMO should have been 6th.

6) Fayette Academy (Santana)- REally strong drumline, and the hornline was solid. Could of used a little more "Soul" when playing this music. The best show visually of the night, from drill to marching, extc, it was all there. Executed very well, and IMO should have finished 4th.

5) Halls- (Jeckyl & Hyde) This show never took off for me. They, like DCA, never seemed to go over the edge on the crescendos. Performed the music well, but it just seemed to lay there. Marched well, but could have done more. IMO should have finished 8th.

4) Goodpasture- (Good/Evil) Interesting show, and a nice ending. The drumline was really strong, but hte pit did'nt seem to play very much difficulty wise, and I really enjoyed the feature. The hornline and guard did their parts as well, as the guard was really good. At times seemed to be drumline with accompanying band, as opposed to the way it should be with the drumline playing a supporting role. IMO should have finished 3rd.

3) Cascade- (Pandora's Box) Volume wise WOW, but at he same time very over-blown at many points throughout the show. Would have enjoyed it more if the fans on the other end of the stadium would not have screamed at the top of their lungs every time a major impact point hit. drumline was very weak, color guard was very strong, I think the guard should have won best overall. Trumpet solo was too hard for the kid trying squeak it out. IMO should have finished 5th.

2) Forrest- (A New World) Very similar arangement to Glassmen 2005 show. As always, played very well from the hornline to the drumline. Drumline was okay, but the hornline was really strong. Guard won best overall in finals. Marched really well, but I wish they would get new uniforms, they are so ugly. IMO should have finished 2nd.

1) Adamsville- (Green Planet? Energy show?) Best show of the night no question all aspects considered. Very strong musical and visual package. Hornline was strong, drumline was strong (fun feature, and a really good mallet player), and the guard as well. Very interesting show choice and message to express. Definitely desrved to win. IMO should have been 1st.

This is just my opion let me know what you all think.

We would love to get the students new uniforms. In the 10 years that there has been a band at Forrest, they have had two jackets. We just don't have the funds to purchase new ones. If you would like to make a check payable to the band, I'll give you our PO Box....Lol...

Thank you for the very good review of the top 10 bands!

• 3 months later...