Division II A Predictions

wizard

DCA beats USJ 52-45. Nasty collision between two USJ players in second quarter (head to head). McWherter (only USJ player on all region team) does not play second half due to mild concussion and back up center fouls out with 4 minutes left in 3rd quarter, so USJ played without center last quarter and a half, which really hurt on the boards. Give DCA credit, they did start knocking down their shots in last quarter. USJ got within 2-3 points one time in 4th, but could not get any closer. Good game, fans and atmosphere.

By the way this is a lot more coverage of the game than you will see anywhere in print. Jackson Sun printed the box score - that's hit. Hometown team in a sub-state game - no coverage before game - no coverage after game - at least they are consistent. :flower:

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I say FRA wins big. Davidson Academy upsets Harding (if you want to call it a upset). DCA in a close one. Don't really care about what Knox Webb does. They should be in AA where they belong. :roflol:

Knoxville Webb has less than 700 students in high school grades, probably less than 550, so what do you mean they should be in AA. And you should worry about them alot. :D

They should be in AA. They have won 2 out of 3 state championships. Then they move down to A. Give me a break. They have 488 students. Thats just under the 500 to keep them in A. I don't see Ensworth moving down to A. They have 370 kids. :huh:

It is interesting that Knox Webb has 488. That is twice 240 that FRA has. 240 is probably close to the same for DCA. Both are first time in Div II A and the state semi finaiists therefore pretty much no scholarships athletes since all the starters have been there for both teams and could not accept scholarships in Div I and play. How long was Knox Webb Div II AA? How many scholar athletes are on the girls team? Just a question...not a comment.

No matter the Middle/East is well represented in the state final 4. Should be some very good basketball this coming week.

It is interesting that Knox Webb has 488. That is twice 240 that FRA has. 240 is probably close to the same for DCA. Both are first time in Div II A and the state semi finaiists therefore pretty much no scholarships athletes since all the starters have been there for both teams and could not accept scholarships in Div I and play. How long was Knox Webb Div II AA? How many scholar athletes are on the girls team? Just a question...not a comment.

No matter the Middle/East is well represented in the state final 4. Should be some very good basketball this coming week.

Knox Webb was probably in Div II AA for as long as there has been a Div II until they moved where they are now. I don't and many posters don't know what you are talking about concerning scholarship athletes. Div II gives need-based financial aid based on the parents incomes, bills, etc. If a alumni decides to pay for a particular student, then it is up to the honesty and integrity of any school to reject that offer. In other ways the public schools are accountable also, but still it comes down to honesty and integrity. Don't know what you mean by scholar athletes, but I am sure that Knox Webb has some very fine students on that team and throughout the entire school. Once again, need based financial aid is judged by the parents income and bills, etc, by a third party. As I posted earlier, Knox Webb should be feared the rest of the way, Butler has the most potential of any player in Div II A or AA. :D Big Kid, you stated the number of students FRA has, are you advocating a Div II Half A ? :roflol:

I say FRA wins big. Davidson Academy upsets Harding (if you want to call it a upset). DCA in a close one. Don't really care about what Knox Webb does. They should be in AA where they belong. ;)

Knoxville Webb has less than 700 students in high school grades, probably less than 550, so what do you mean they should be in AA. And you should worry about them alot. :D

They should be in AA. They have won 2 out of 3 state championships. Then they move down to A. Give me a break. They have 488 students. Thats just under the 500 to keep them in A. I don't see Ensworth moving down to A. They have 370 kids. :?:

So the rule should be broken as far as Knox Webb is concerned, but everybody else has to follow it. They are under the number of students required to be in Div II A. You have alot of company with your previous post, the rules are okay as long as I agree with them. There are alot of people in the world like you, thank God they don't make the rules. :roflol:

BK, don't know what your point is but both of those schools the last 20 years needed nothing but just field a team. In DI, they could compete with just about anyone. Has really somthing to do with tradition and a good parent base. Times Change.

If anyone has figured out this post, please post what it means. :D

In all honesty, when DII had 3 classes for football that was probably the most reasonable grouping but there just aren't enough schools for 3 classes. There was also only 1 class for every other sport which wasn't good, either.

Right now you've got a couple of schools that are under 100 kids in their HS (Riverside, Mt. Juliet, maybe?...can't recall but there are a couple at least) and ECS and Knox Webb approaching 500 apiece. No way those schools need to be in the same class but it is what it is. Just not enough schools in DII to move it around. There has to be a top and there has to be a bottom.

If I recall both BA and Ensworth could have played II-A also but chose not to. I'm not about to blame 2 schools for choosing to play in a class they were assigned to.

Life just isn't fair sometimes. Look at Lausanne. It's a very good academic school in Memphis and they have very good boy and girl basketball players choosing to go there to get their academics up or just get in the best academic environment they can plus play w/ other very good players. It's smaller than SBEC or maybe it's right at the same enrollment but SBEC will never have that b/c they have very good public schools all around them. Lausanne has made it a priority to have good basketball and it shows. SBEC just isn't going to have D1 prospects up and leave the 6A school down the street to come play ball at SBEC b/c they can get what they need at the public school. The school wants to do well, too, but they aren't going to go out and try to build a program by intentionally attracting kids who wouldn't already be interested in the school first, sports second. They're just not THAT into winning in sports. I'm not completely sure SBEC could attract lots of athletes especially for sports when they can get what they want in the public schools around them.

Sometimes I wish they were but I admire the stance of the Admin...as well as that of the Lausanne folks as well. I have NO issue w/ Lausanne committing to having very good basketball teams. None at all. The academics are very good at SBEC but the public schools around them offer very good academics as well. That's another thing. If you want to do well the resources are there for you to take advantage of when not every kid going to Lausanne lives in a school district where they can say that. Many do. Some don't. It's life. Circumstances are what they are. We aren't all equal. It's just life. You can't legislate every single difference in circumstance out of HS athletics. As private schools, people just need to live their mission, do their best w/ what they have, and feel blessed by everything they do have.