UT vs Florida

CoachT

I don't like Florida...I don't like UT...but I like Florida less than I like UT...so I was hoping UT would win... however...there were soooooooooo many bad plays by UT...it was like a comedy of errors...tooooooo funny...

As for "The Future"...I hope someone puts some clamps on his mouth...sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesh...

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TN proved a bunch of things that I have been saying:

1) Casey Clausen is overrated. I don't care how many times he beats KY and Vandy. I know he's 17-4 as a starter or whatever, but how many of those 17 wins are quality wins? (I'd say somewhere between 1 and 3). Suggs took the fall for the team against the meat of the schedule and Clausen got rewarded for going undefeated against the soft part of the 2000 schedule.

2) Tenn's defense was unproven. How could a team that lost so much from last year on that side of the ball be rated so high?

3) Washington can't do it alone. None, and I mean none, of the other wide receivers are 1st-tier wide receivers, and I'm not convinced that KW is. He had a lot of catches, sure, but he also showed an unwillingness to take a hit or fight for an extra yard. He did strut after the most routine of catches, even late in the game with his team losing big, though. I guess he has mouth if nothing else.

4) Who's the running back? Like the defense, the offense also lost key players from last year, especially Travis Stephens. Once again, too many unknowns to be ranked #4.

5) Awful fundamentals. John Chavis's defense showed yesterday just how poor fundamentally they really are. I seem to be one of the few who realize that this Florida game is not the first time it has happened. Chavis defenses are always poor tacklers.

I agree with some of what Swamp has to say, but not #3 or #4....

-Clausen is very, very, very, very, very overrated. I was begging to see C.J. Leak in the game under center...

-The offensive play calling was terrible...

-The defense was not fundamental sound on Saturday, but was talented coming into the season nonetheless. Had Kevin Burnett not went down for the year, this would have been Tennessee's best Linebacker core ever. Eddie Moore was great. Kevin Simon, only a freshman, is great...The secondary was the biggest dissapointment this side of Clausen...

-UT's recieving core is nice, but we didn't throw to them nearly enough. Washington is THE best reciever in the nation. He caught every pass he got his hands on. His 50 yard sprint in the middle of the field was Amazing as he simply outran the speedy Florida defense. Tony Brown (#81, soph) is GREAT, but was thrown to one, yes one, time. He was the best reciever on the team in Washington's absence, and then we go away from him. Whitten is great as well. Montrell Jones (#86) is very good, but also didn't see enough snaps. Why in the heck is #26 Leonard Scott starting, getting tons of snaps, and even getting thrown to??? There is a reason he is a senior who has played every year, but never been thrown to: he is not a good reciever, just a track star...

-Tn has 6 great running backs (Houston, Davis, Tinsley, Fleming, Williams, and Riggs). TN needs to go with one of them, and go from there. Running backs gain consistency and confidence with more touches. Houston is the best of the group, but had just 1 carry (hip bruise, I guess) on Saturday. He is a star...

-When did FB Troy Fleming all of the sudden become the #1 offensive threat/go to guy??? We ran him and threw to him WAYYYYYYYYYY too much. He is a roll player. Too many other talented players on the field to spend that many plays on Fleming...

-TN has some serious issues. This is a national championship calibar team that looked like a High School football team on Saturday. UT needs to relize who their play-makers are and open up the offense 10 fold......I hope they get things turned around..... :):(

Posted by Sequatchie:
Posted by TankTalk:

I am really concerned because like Swamp, feel there are way too many untested players for the Big Orange. But the Gators are tested...and have failed already badly.

I wish Washington was out of the game...and the season. Reading his ESPN The Magazine article just about me throw up. He is tremendously gifted...but he should be at another program that is more adept at having trash-talking run rampant. Bad weather would be an advantage for the Vols because of their hogs. Florida has some good hogs, but not as seasoned as our hogs. (sounds like a sausage commercial)

Big Orange break-out, play good all around and the better special teams play a big part. Tennessee 31, Florida 21.

[Edited by TankTalk on 9-20-02 3:22P]

I love having Kelley Washington its about time Tennessee finally had someone controversial! Teams like Florida St., Florida, Miami, Michigan all have had players like this and it got them more publicity & the National Media just loves it. If Tennessee is going to be in the Big Time with National Coverage they need this type of player as long as Kelley doesn't do anything stupid off the field I am fine with him.

What has "The Future" said that he hasn't backed up so for even last year??

I am sorry, but I think "The Future" would NOT be scared to take a hit...and wouldn't run for the sidelines everytime he caught a pass. I never doubted his physical abilities, but like some players have said, he is a cancer and I can't wait for him to be gone.

You guys must be joking! Washington is the MAN!!! He was great, and the only bright spot in a DISMAL day for UT....

Don't question Washington's production, heart, or anything else for that matter. Washington was IRATE throughout the first half and halftime, as he was Thrown to only TWICE (both receptions, including one that was called Def Pass Interference)! Washington made big plays whenever the opportunity was there. What about turning a 12 yard Clausen pass into a 55 yard gain by outrunning three Floriday defenders. I thought about the not taking a hit at one point, but realized 1)each occasion was after getting a firt down 2)not one occasion would have gained more than a yard more, if that and 3)Washington was just coming off an injury that sidelined him the first two games....

And as for the "strutting": I loved it! It showed Washington was not scared! In fact, it looked like Washington was the ONLY player UT had on the offensive side of the ball that wasn't scared. You had Clausen too scared to even receive a snap. You had a fumble caused by Tinsley not wanting to catch a kick off. Baker wouldn't field the first FL punt, which cost 15 yards of field position. Just give Kelley the BALL!!!!!!!!! He should have been thrown to twice as often.......

I really don't like the play calling either.

Too many screens, and I think don't think they are throwing the long balls enough...

HERE IS THE PROBLEM

UT has played two patsies to open up the year...and against them screens, dives, options, leads, and hitches will work.

You use these things to avoid showing other teams what your big time plays will be...and you don't throw it deep or into coverage because you know you can just smash it down their throats and win...you can play mistake free and not worry about a team being there in the fourth quarter.

Problem is...you can't do that against Florida.

If Florida came out there saturday and tried to just run it, do screens, hitches, etc. then they would not have won or have broken away like they did...They played Florida football, when UT ran the screens and dives it was fine, but they were doing it against a defense that was just flat out better then them, and they were going up against an offense who had played "that first big game"