Father Ryan and its players.....under rated

Guest WolfX

To start off... Father Ryan has 6 players ranging 6'2-6'5 very athletic, with above average basketball skills. They give 110% every possesion. In conjunction with that, the post can handle the ball exceptionally well, and the guards can take a player to the block and score, time and time again. 5 of the 6 seniors; Joe Thompson, Everett Bills, Jeff deGraauw, Brent Carney, and Brian Griffith, are getting D-I attention. Now who in these so called "premiere public schools" has a roster like that.?? I can tell you...........nobody!!!! Give me a response if you can prove me otherwise...

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alright, let me start off by saying that I LOVE THE FATHER RYAN PROGRAM, and their team, and thier intensity. This does not change, and will not this upcoming year.....

That being said, the first post on here was a little exagerrated. This is not a very tall team, and these players mentioned are not recieving much D-1 hoops attention. ONly Joe Thompson and Brent Carney I feel are capable of playing D-1 ball, but that's it, and I don't even know if these two are recieving any interest.....

Father Ryan is great for a lot of reasons, but there are many, many, many teams out there that can rival or surpass Ryan's talent. Ryan will, however, have an outstanding year this year, and will bring home another State title. Best of luck to Ryan, as I will be chearing them on......

[Edited by gomab2 on 9-20-02 6:05P]

That was well stated..I really love the Father Ryan Program and coach Bontrager..They are what any level basketball is about, they go out and work hard and I never hear trash talk come from any of the players...They arent underrated.People know about Father Ryan their athletic programs..They're good at just about everything, so how could they be underrated..I'll agree that this year will be hard to get much respect after losing a standout like Billy May.

But that being said, the talent level isnt that high at Ryan. They're are teams that have better athletes and talent mixed in with good fundamentals so lets not blow Father Ryan up like they're the best thing in the state..I agree they will repeat as State Champs this year. Good luck to coach Bontrager and his program.

Guest CourtTechnician

Ok, now that I know some names, I can assure you Father Ryan will be above descent. Potentially they have 5 guys who can and more than likely will play college basketball. Now depicting whether it is DI, DII, DIII, or NAIA, who knows. From what I have learned though is Brent Carney(6'4, 185 WF), Everett Bills(6'3, 180 WF), and Joe Thompson(6'2, 160 PG) are all receiving Division I interest. Carney is going to take an official up to Butler in the coming weeks and Bills and Thompson heading out west towards the Mountain West Conference (They will not disclose whos in the lead and so forth). As for others, Brian Griffith (6'7 200 PF) could fall right into the laps of a happy small Division I college. He's more suited for DII and DIII. Jeff deGraauw (6'2 180 WF) is and undermatched post with exceptional quickness and power. The sky is the limit for this team. With Thompson stepping in at the point and the compliments of Carney and Bills in the post and wings, it could be another great season for this program. They have all the pieces but its how they put them together will determine how the season will go.

I dont get it, you act like I made Father Ryan sound like they're a bunch of hoosiers just playing the game they love..Father Ryan is a good ball club, but they're far from underrated. And they're not the most talented ball club in the Nashville area thats what I was basing that on but they are AS talented as some of them. I knew they had some D-1 players but wasnt sure how many.

MailMan........ on what grounds can you predict that kind of record for Father Ryan. The same level of players are returning to the Father Ryan program, I would even predict better players than last year. Please tell me, MailMan, what caliber players do you think Father Ryan has??... Don't confuse Father Ryan with second rate teams like; MBA, Brentwood Acd., et cetera.... Oh, in response to goMab prediction of Joe Thompson and Brent Carney being the only D-I prospect on the Father Ryan team.........he obviously does not know his stuff, or he would know Everett Bills has had many D-I colleges contact him...

Sorry to disappoint you, gomab, but you were wrong...better do your homework before you speak your mind you will sound smarter.....

[Edited by WolfX on 9-22-02 11:43A]

Posted by WolfX:

MailMan........ on what grounds can you predict that kind of record for Father Ryan. The same level of players are returning to the Father Ryan program, I would even predict better players than last year. Please tell me, MailMan, what caliber players do you think Father Ryan has??

Ok Wolfie, since I am only the 2002nd smartest person in the world plus I read almost every game summary in "The Tennessean", I think I am over-qualified.

Father Ryan's seniors this year are nowhere near as good as last years. Chris "Whose ur daddy" Chauvin, Andrew "MA" Ritter, Jason "Blonde Bombshell" Roberson,and Sesean "insert nickname here" Bridges. Also Billy May gave the team great moral support. Once Noc and Dec get here then you will see that my crystal ball is one of the best.