Rank Sumner County Football

breakawayspeed

Would "The Legend of Long Hollow" be Ronnie Joe Friend, the famous country music star? Feeder programs do help, but talent wins out eventually. However, if you wanna look at feeder programs, Shafer and Rucker have been stacked with talent and running the GHS system for quite a few years now.

Indeed, the one and only - and not to forget Emmitt Smith's mentor................ :roflolk:

Of course, obviously, talent plays a major part, but some of these kids develop later than others. To be able to have 6 years developing a player instead of 4 pays huge dividends. Again, take a look at Gallatin and White House over the years. Everyone's on the same page. :thumb:

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To rank the Sumner County schools this year:

Beech

Gallatin

Hendersonville

Station Camp

White House

Westmoreland

Pope John Paul

Hendersonville Christian Academy

(Space)

(Space)

(Space)

Portland

Yes I know HCA plays 8-man but I still think they would beat Portland! :thumb:

Very few counties compete with Rutherford and Williamson, overall. This is mainly due to enrollment and the schools in Sumner County will never see the size of those two counties, they will just build more schools as the population grows.

That just too funny about Portland. Against Beech who you have number 1 and deservingly so the score was 10-3 at halftime. Portland had 19 first downs, which I think is the most that Beech has given up all year. Unfortunately, they threw 3 picks including one in the endzone to start the game. WR also missed a wide open pass in the endzone right before the half. Final 34-18

I don’t think P-Town is as bad as you claim. However, it is clear they don’t have the depth that other Sumner County Schools have. Good luck to the Bucs!!!

Beech

Gallatin

Hendersonville

Station Camp

White House

Westmoreland

Pope John Paul

(Space)

(Space)

(Space)

Portland

Yes I know HCA plays 8-man but I still think they would beat Portland! :roflolk:

Very few counties compete with Rutherford and Williamson, overall. This is mainly due to enrollment and the schools in Sumner County will never see the size of those two counties, they will just build more schools as the population grows.

That just too funny about Portland. Against Beech who you have number 1 and deservingly so the score was 10-3 at halftime. Portland had 19 first downs, which I think is the most that Beech has given up all year. Unfortunately, they threw 3 picks including one in the endzone to start the game. WR also missed a wide open pass in the endzone right before the half. Final 34-18

I don’t think P-Town is as bad as you claim. However, it is clear they don’t have the depth that other Sumner County Schools have. Good luck to the Bucs!!!

I will agree with you on this one. The starters were pretty solid against MJ and then MJ started pulling away in the 2nd half which backs up your statement. No depth. That also backs up my statement after MJ played PHS. The way you build up depth is to get playing time for your reserves when the game is out of reach.

Beech

Gallatin

Hendersonville

Station Camp

White House

Westmoreland

Pope John Paul

(Space)

(Space)

(Space)

Portland

Yes I know HCA plays 8-man but I still think they would beat Portland! :roll:

No really, they are that bad. You don't have an 0-10 season if they're not. There are a lot of issue with this program right now. Did they have a couple of times throughout the year that they were able to put together a couple of drives? Yes. Did they even string together a couple of decent quarters? Yes. Did they win a game? NO! We could get really picky about the "what if's", but GOOD teams make plays to win games (or at least "A" game). I suppose Portland is the "best 0-10 team" you have seen?

Your argument, although I disagree, would only strengthen the fact that there just aren't the athletes in Portland that there once were. We could beat this horse all day, but the the truth remains that Portland went 0-10 and will not win many, if any, games next year. Everyone wants to put the blame on coaching (the previous staff, not the current) and I just wonder if that will be the case next year as well. Or will someone in Portland come to realize that the athletes are what they were? Or perhaps, that Portland is going to be like the majority of area schools and go through cycles? Or will they want another coaching change?

Football in Sumner County is competitive, but I would venture to say that the other schools put Portland down as a win in the back of their minds... Portland is, and will be at least another year, in the cellar of Sumner county football. I don't want to bash them, but I get tired of hearing how good of a 0-10 team they are... that they really improved throughout the year... that the coaching staff has them going in the right direction... Why not call it what it is, they just aren't very good!!

A couple of reasons that Sumner Schools have not been to the big game in several years.

1. Most of the teams are run oriented and have not adopted the wide open spread offenses and throw the ball around like say the Williamson County Schools or the teams in inner city Nashville.

2. The big schools (Hendersonville, Gallatin) until this year were always just barely 5A competing in the playoffs with say Williamson County Schools which have much larger enrollments (Franklin, Brentwood, etc.)

3. To be honest not as many athletes as say Rutherford County, Williamson County, etc.

4. Look at the number of D1 players that have came out of Sumner County in the last 5 years. I can't name any.

5. With all of that being said much better tradition and a better football atmosphere in Sumner County. Always too much drama in Williamson County, coaches either getting fired or about to get fired in all sports. Jeff Porter at White House, Bruce Hatfield at Hendersonville, Robert Lassiter at Gallatin, Anthony Crabtree at Beech are solid and are entrenched in their communities. I have been to playoff games at Franklin, seen Centennial, Franklin, and Independence play at Hendersonville and it does not have that same feel.

No ax to grind, just being honest.

okay in response to your reply

#1 . Franklin does not throw the ball around at all and is 70/30 run to pass, they have been a running ball control team for the last 5 years -

Same can be said about Brentwood as they are a running team for the last 5 years, heck maybe longer since the Whitemore years -

INDY- they were a true spread offense unti this year they went wing t and made it too second round -Centenial was 80% run last year as a playoff team and has always been a running team always

Ravenwood, sure they use the spread but its all run option , with run first pass second

# 2 . Nonsense bigger enrollments - you were Hville and Gallatin were still in the same class as the WILCO boys, and if thats the case last year beech beat down HHS-Page a Wilco school last year ( 881 ) beat CHS a playoff team, in addition IHS this year 07 beat Gallatin and the bigger enrollment school FHS

2007/8 year

Gallatin-1397

Beech -1209

HHS-1432

SC-1075

Franklin 1800

CHS 1311

BHS 1479

IHS 1633

#3. I agree

#4. I agree

#5. Better tradtion and atmosphere what are you smoking, i have seen the stands half full at Beech and HHS games this year, i will grant you the green wave have tradition and loyal fan base but have you been to the WILCO schools during game day, packed houses , tailgating that ranks up with anywhere.

Your coaches entrentched in the community-crabs lives in Dickson county what has he done for the local people at Beech- dont you think that all the coaches at WILCO get up and about in their areas as well / well I hate to inform you they do...

getting fired is part of the game if you cant win-

FYI- CHS and INDY never have played HHS

Just an FYI, Coach Crabtree no longer lives in Dickson County, but is a resident of Sumner County.

With Gallatin and Beech meeting in the playoffs this week the question popped into my mind, How strong is Sumner County Football? Looking at our teams you have to imagine that there aren't many counties state wide that have the number of quality teams or the number of quality traditions as we do.

Here are our teams:

Gallatin - beat a #1 seeded Henry County team

Beech - Year in and Year out a stellar program

Hendersonville - A contender every year with Coach Hetfield and his staff

White House - A dominant team in their classification most years

Westmoreland - A history of success in past years

Station Camp - The newest school in the county and already starting a winning tradition

Portland - Many say the 3A state championship went through Portland from 1994-2004, Great tradition

If I forgot a school I apologize. Obviously there are other counties that can boast of great teams, but from top to bottom we have a very nice line up. It may not be the best statewide, but I would say it is in the top 10 at least. I know somebody is going to blast me and say their county would samsh ours and that may be true. I'm not stupid. Sumner County isn't the football Mecca of TN, but we play some good football and I was wondering what everybody else thought.

IF YOUR TALKING YEAR IN /YEAR OUT I WOULD PLACE THEM

1)WHITE HOUSE

2) GALLATIN

3)BEECH

4)STATION CAMP

5)HVILLE

6)WESTMORELAND

7)PJ2

8)PORTLAND

A SIDE NOTE: WHITE HOUSE HAD BEAT BEECH THIS YEAR AT BEECH IF IT WASNT FOR #5 MAX ?????? TAKING OVER THE GAME IN THE 4TH QUARTER. SURPRISINGLY , TO ME WHITE HOUSE HAD MORE TALENT THIS YEAR THEN I EXPECTED BUT THEY HAD ALOT OF INJURIES ON THE O-LINE AND THE OFF-FIELD PROBLEMS THAT IM NOT GONNA GET INTO.

IM PULLING FOR BEECH AGAINST MITCHELL BUT IM EXPECTING MITCHELLS SPEED TO GIVE BEECH PROBLEMS. BEECH NEEDS TO PLAY POWERHOUSE FOOTBALL TO WIN THIS GAME IMO.

When I was a cop at Hendersonville, back in the dark ages, Sumner County was growing just as fast as Rutherford is now. Thing is the politicians (County Commissioners) killed that growth with their high taxes. If it had kept growing at the rate it was then Sumner County schools would be just as large or BIGGER than Rutherford County.

As to the original question, Sumner is solid in a couple of schools with only Gallatin having what I consider a legacy program. Yes JP2 is hurting schools like Hendersonville and Beech, but if you have watched them since 'Golden' left they have not done much except show up in uniform.

EVEN WHEN GOLDEN WAS THERE THE BEST RECORD THEY HAD WAS 7-4 MAYBE 8-3. THEY COULDNT PLAY DEFENSE THEN AND THEY STILL CANT PLAY DEFENSE.

With Gallatin and Beech meeting in the playoffs this week the question popped into my mind, How strong is Sumner County Football? Looking at our teams you have to imagine that there aren't many counties state wide that have the number of quality teams or the number of quality traditions as we do.

Here are our teams:

Gallatin - beat a #1 seeded Henry County team

Beech - Year in and Year out a stellar program

Hendersonville - A contender every year with Coach Hetfield and his staff

White House - A dominant team in their classification most years

Westmoreland - A history of success in past years

Station Camp - The newest school in the county and already starting a winning tradition

Portland - Many say the 3A state championship went through Portland from 1994-2004, Great tradition

If I forgot a school I apologize. Obviously there are other counties that can boast of great teams, but from top to bottom we have a very nice line up. It may not be the best statewide, but I would say it is in the top 10 at least. I know somebody is going to blast me and say their county would samsh ours and that may be true. I'm not stupid. Sumner County isn't the football Mecca of TN, but we play some good football and I was wondering what everybody else thought.

IF YOUR TALKING YEAR IN /YEAR OUT I WOULD PLACE THEM

1)WHITE HOUSE

2) GALLATIN

3)BEECH

4)STATION CAMP

5)HVILLE

6)WESTMORELAND

7)PJ2

8)PORTLAND

A SIDE NOTE: WHITE HOUSE HAD BEAT BEECH THIS YEAR AT BEECH IF IT WASNT FOR #5 MAX ?????? TAKING OVER THE GAME IN THE 4TH QUARTER. SURPRISINGLY , TO ME WHITE HOUSE HAD MORE TALENT THIS YEAR THEN I EXPECTED BUT THEY HAD ALOT OF INJURIES ON THE O-LINE AND THE OFF-FIELD PROBLEMS THAT IM NOT GONNA GET INTO.

IM PULLING FOR BEECH AGAINST MITCHELL BUT IM EXPECTING MITCHELLS SPEED TO GIVE BEECH PROBLEMS. BEECH NEEDS TO PLAY POWERHOUSE FOOTBALL TO WIN THIS GAME IMO.

I disagree with WH being at the top of this list. I don't think their is any way they could beat the bigger schools on a regular basis, especially if they had to play them all in one season. I do agree with Portland being at the bottom, hanging out with JPII (not sure why someone would want to leave one of these other programs to play there). I'll go with religious reasons, but not athletics. Also, is "year-in, year-out" over the last 3, 5, 15 years? This is why I ranked them this year only.

In regards to WH, I see them having a couple of down years. Be thankful they aren't playing in the district with the other big schools. It could get ugly. Station Camp, Beech and Hendersonville are all young and should be better next year.

Beech is the best team this year and "should" be next year. Station Camp will have another down year (should still be better than this year), but should be a very good team the following year. Hendersonville will be solid next year and Gallatin will find a way to reload, losing a good RB and QB. JPII will continue to struggle and Portland may have another 0-10 year.