Private Schools Recruit... Well Duh.

wareagle41

Ok everyone needs to realize this: PRIVATE SCHOOLS RECRUIT. i go to a highschool in middle tennessee and it is completely obvious they kids are brought in. We use financial aid to get them through school using money that people donate AKA our "sports fund". but i think its silly that we are even bickering over this. its not like tssaa is going to have almighty authority and stop these schools. Yes, i do have a problem with kids being brought in just to play sports, but its a football way of life. if public schools really are that mad about recruiting, then dont play private schools. we wont force you to play us. but if u do.... good luck. :o

• 2 weeks later...

I'm from East Tennessee and their are several private schools in my area (CAK, Catholic, and Webb). I am good friends with the basketball coach at CAK and I know for a fact that he doesn't recruit. I know a freshman at Catholic that is a stud athlete in both basketball and football and he was not recruited. His parents chose Catholic for the academics and are not recieving any aid whatsoever. In fact they are paying more than the average student because they are not Catholic. In our area its the public schools that are the biggest recruiters.

Ok everyone needs to realize this: PRIVATE SCHOOLS RECRUIT. i go to a highschool in middle tennessee and it is completely obvious they kids are brought in. We use financial aid to get them through school using money that people donate AKA our "sports fund". but i think its silly that we are even bickering over this. its not like tssaa is going to have almighty authority and stop these schools. Yes, i do have a problem with kids being brought in just to play sports, but its a football way of life. if public schools really are that mad about recruiting, then dont play private schools. we wont force you to play us. but if u do.... good luck. :cry:

Your post is narrow and short-sighted. You must think that all private schools does what your school as you say does. That is simply not true. Try thinking before you post. :bored:

Recruiting and undue influence is completely different, I'd say there's alot more undue influence. I'm sure in a few cases a kids enrollment is paid by someone other than the kids parents, but not all that often. Good private schools are alot like good public schools, people will always try to give their kids the best oppertunity, open zones is the biggest factor. As a whole public schools are the one's with the most talent, its just hard to get all that talent transformed into hard working disaplined football players . Both types of schools have some great hard working kids, the ratio is not close, its the nature of things. We have five schools in our county ,if we could get half of the good one's in one school and let the others have the rest,the rest would be history. its apples and oranges, were just 2 different types of schools. Apples go in apple crates and oranges likewise. YOU THINK WERE JOKING, CAUSE WERE NOT.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm from East Tennessee and their are several private schools in my area (CAK, Catholic, and Webb). I am good friends with the basketball coach at CAK and I know for a fact that he doesn't recruit. I know a freshman at Catholic that is a stud athlete in both basketball and football and he was not recruited. His parents chose Catholic for the academics and are not recieving any aid whatsoever. In fact they are paying more than the average student because they are not Catholic. In our area its the public schools that are the biggest recruiters.

Most if not all the time it won't be a coach, it will be a parent(s) or graduate. The problem lies when the school doesn't dissuade the parents from such activities.

Most if not all the time it won't be a coach, it will be a parent(s) or graduate. The problem lies when the school doesn't dissuade the parents from such activities.

I confused as to why a parent or graduate talking to a kid about going to a school is a problem. I would have found my private high school if it weren't for a friend of the family who told me I should go. However, if a person goes driving through a town and tries to pick up athletes and "convert" them, then that is a problem. But it shouldn't be illegal for people to talk to kids about attending their school for ANY reason. Private schools are like businesses because they don't have any kids that are required to go there, so they have to get the word out there to the good students, athletes, performers, etc., and let them know there is a school for them. Or would you rather they put up some billboards on the interstate?

• 2 months later...

I confused as to why a parent or graduate talking to a kid about going to a school is a problem. I would have found my private high school if it weren't for a friend of the family who told me I should go. However, if a person goes driving through a town and tries to pick up athletes and "convert" them, then that is a problem. But it shouldn't be illegal for people to talk to kids about attending their school for ANY reason. Private schools are like businesses because they don't have any kids that are required to go there, so they have to get the word out there to the good students, athletes, performers, etc., and let them know there is a school for them. Or would you rather they put up some billboards on the interstate?

If you ever attend any of the performing arts in town (TPAC, Symphony, etc.) you will see scores of ads recruiting for private schools. The public schools don't really care if scholars or artists are recruited...only athletes. That alone tells you something, doesn't it?

• 8 months later...

Interesting, but Catholic is in Div I and cannot give any financial aid whatsoever to a student unless they elect not to play sports.

• 2 weeks later...

Baylor school and Ensworth will be recruiting next week at the DII AA championship game. There I said it!

Successful schools recruit themselves with great programs. How many elementary and public middle school kids will be watching this game? Those that want to be a part of a successful football program. Don't think the coaches have the time to make a bunch of recruiting calls this week while preparing for the game.

• 2 weeks later...