Private Schools Recruit... Well Duh.

wareagle41

My point is that it is not right to pay thousands of dollars to a gifted athlete to play sports for a high school team. It ruins everything high school sports is about. Leave the soliciting, recruting, scholarships, etc. to the colleges and keep high school sports as pure as we can. These kids only get to experience high school sports once in their lifetime. Too many people involved in it nowadays. Coaches, AD's, principals, boosters, etc.

My point is that it is not right to pay thousands of dollars to a gifted athlete to play sports for a high school team. It ruins everything high school sports is about. Leave the soliciting, recruting, scholarships, etc. to the colleges and keep high school sports as pure as we can. These kids only get to experience high school sports once in their lifetime. Too many people involved in it nowadays. Coaches, AD's, principals, boosters, etc.

If you think that the sole reason any kid goes to one of these schools is to play a sport or sports, then you are sadly mistaken and I will not be able to convince you otherwise. If you knew anything about these schools, you would understand that your premise is faulty. All kids that attend one of the schools of which I speak must behave, participate, and toe the line socially and academically. If they are only looking for a ticket to a college athletic scholarship, they would be much better served to attend a public. The kids at D2 schools are looking for, and are willing to work hard for, much more than that.

I didnt say "all" of the kids on academic scholarships at private schools are involved in the athletic programs but there are many that are given financial help because they are gifted athletes. And you would never be able to convince me that does not happen.

I can't even convince you that there are no "academic scholarships" in Division 2, despite the fact that this is per TSSAA rules, so why would I think I could convince you of other things that are also factually correct? You can and will believe anything you want, though I encourage you to distinguish between facts and supposition based upon "urban legend" before posting on a public message board. Hope your team has an injury-free season and that the players have some wonderful life experiences this season.

Edited by RedRobin

• 2 months later...

Red robin, you are WAY off base. I dont have one single issue with a kid receiving financial aid to a private school as their educational system is usually better than a public school. It is when that "financial aid" is used to help a good athlete to attend that particular school. There are tons of extremely smart kids in the city school systems that the financial aid to a private school (or D2 which is how your refer to it which designates sports conference) would benefit greatly but they dont run a 4.4 or are a gifted athlete. You are beating a dead horse if you dont think some private schools solicit athletes for their sports programs. You can spin it any way you want...it happens..sorry.

Absolutely right, some privates recruit for sports period, so what, you think this is a secret to anyone involved in sports in the state of Tennessee. But some privates are honest and use their financial aid for its intended purpose. Some private schools have alumni that have deep pockets and don't mind paying for everything, no secret either, so whats your point. If a student applies, any student and they qualify for financial aid and can do the academics, they get the aid. Do you think Ensworth goes over to Haynes middle school and a few other places just to watch the grass grow. Hardly. :| By the way just because a potential student can play ball doesn't mean that he or she should be punished or denied the opportunity to attend a private school, its those alumni that are difficult to monitor, it happens something like this, the students parents or parent look at his or her checking account and all of a sudden there are more funds there, what a mystery.

One more comment, there is no such thing as an academic scholarship at any private school I know of. Red Robin is giving you accurate infomation.

Edited by fiftyfifty

One more comment, there is no such thing as an academic scholarship at any private school I know of. Red Robin is giving you accurate infomation.

Disagree on that last point. Granted it was a while back, but I was receiving not a full ride, but more financial aid than the need-based figure when I went to Baylor, and was ineligible for varsity sports as a result. (Of course, their opponents would have been the only beneficiaries had I been eligible and played...)

• 3 months later...

I am a football coach in Rutherford County so first off I understand private schools coming in with their busses and driving kids to their respective schools. I have a son and it sounds like I would really like Coach Maddux and him coaching my son. With that being said, lets tell it like it is. Read the paper the kids tell you in the quotes that the R word is going on and Coach Maddux uses it to his benefit. Is this fair, yes, but easy for him to say he is going to give some kids dad a job when a public school would have to give him a job pushing a broom (unless he was a teacher by state rules). Now I know this will open can of worms but read the quotes again and you tell me. Influence?? I think so!

" I visited (CPA) last year because I found out my dad was possibly going to get the job here."

"“I’ve played for him since I was 9 years old, playing travel ball"

" Thomas and I being best friends since we were little. (Thomas, Braxton and I) played on the same AAU team for Coach Drew"

“I had a relationship with Coach Maddux through workouts (private lessons)"

I am a football coach in Rutherford County so first off I understand private schools coming in with their busses and driving kids to their respective schools. I have a son and it sounds like I would really like Coach Maddux and him coaching my son. With that being said, lets tell it like it is. Read the paper the kids tell you in the quotes that the R word is going on and Coach Maddux uses it to his benefit. Is this fair, yes, but easy for him to say he is going to give some kids dad a job when a public school would have to give him a job pushing a broom (unless he was a teacher by state rules). Now I know this will open can of worms but read the quotes again and you tell me. Influence?? I think so!

" I visited (CPA) last year because I found out my dad was possibly going to get the job here."

"“I’ve played for him since I was 9 years old, playing travel ball"

" Thomas and I being best friends since we were little. (Thomas, Braxton and I) played on the same AAU team for Coach Drew"

“I had a relationship with Coach Maddux through workouts (private lessons)"

The only "R" word I see there is "relationship". A top notch, D1 private will do things the right way and what will attract the students to the school might be the successful athletic programs or the top notch facilities and what will attract the parents will be the same things as well as the best teachers, smaller teacher-student ratios, and the knowledge that the opportunities for their child at a private school are near limitless. As a student at a private school, I was blessed with the opportunity to go to New York City 3 times, DisneyWorld, Washington D.C., Atlanta, and Florida as well as numerous retreats while some of my classmates were even able to travel on trips to Europe. This was all afforded by my single mother who worked 2 jobs to send me there because she wanted me to have the absolute best. Yes, private schools recruit but the school and its opportunities recruits for itself. The best D1 privates don't have to send coaches out or make phone calls to prospective students. The families are making sacrifices to allow their students to attend these schools. Success recruits success.

• 5 months later...

If you think that the sole reason any kid goes to one of these schools is to play a sport or sports, then you are sadly mistaken and I will not be able to convince you otherwise. If you knew anything about these schools, you would understand that your premise is faulty. All kids that attend one of the schools of which I speak must behave, participate, and toe the line socially and academically. If they are only looking for a ticket to a college athletic scholarship, they would be much better served to attend a public. The kids at D2 schools are looking for, and are willing to work hard for, much more than that.

As a graduate of a small private school and an athlete at that school as well, I can tell you that some students go to privates for a chance to play sports because they feel they will have a better chance to play one or more sports at that school instead of a larger public school. Some students go there for academics and happen to have a some athletic ability. There will also be kids who start a private in Pre-K and turn out to be great athletes. Yes, there is a packet a family can fill out for financial need (similar to an old Pell Grant app for college) if the family qualifies the school actually decides how much to distribute from the pool of people eligible and that person can not play high school sports if they receive this help. Yet at a PRIVATE school there are people in the community who also donate LARGE amounts of money for tax donation purposes and in return their kids tuitions are covered and it just so happens that in certain circumstances it will also cover other students cost of attending. Also, star athletes can get busted by undercover cops for trying to buy marijuna and only a very small article will end up in the local paper just saying three students were caught. Yet a non athletic student fails a random drug test and gets kicked out of school. Yes, the majority of parents at Privates are more involved, but look at the boy girl ratio of some privates. My particular school is definetly where you would send your boy if he were into sports, the athletic director literally runs the school, he may not have the title of Headmaster, but make no mistake he's in charge. You also need to look at the amount of students at a Private that play sports and have the ability to take lessons, play club ball, travel ball and AAU as opposed to the number of athletes at a small rural public school. Most of the students at the public school do not have the same opportunities and it is not a matter of priorities in most cases. There are alot of people of public schools who just are not able to send their kids to privates even though they would like them to have the opportunity. There are a great deal of things that go on at private a school when it comes to sports, some are right and some are wrong and it is not going to change. Although, I love the small town rivals, all privates should be in their own division, that way they can do whatever they want when it comes to getting players and it really won't matter. And yes there are kids who sole reason they go to a private school is to play sports, I know them, I have played with them and they will tell you that is the only reason they went to the private, as a matter of fact that is the only reason that I went to a private and the only reason my sibling went as well. In the end you realize you have made some great friends, you may be better prepared for college, you were able to experience some things you would not have at a public school, but you walked through the door the first day with playing ball on your mind, not "Oh boy, I hope I meet some really nice people and get to go on a trip to Washington"!

• 2 weeks later...