Beech vs. Columbia 5A State Championship

tandem

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have read alot of talk about Beech's run, the question is can beech stop an offense that has not been stopped all year. The only lose was to an Indy team who's line would make BAMA proud, they had the biggest line I have seen in years at the high school level, but they did not stop Columbia's offense. The way I see it Beech fans is if your run game is as good as you say it is, all Coumbia has to do is stop one third and short play and force a punt get a head buy one touch and lets see you guys do something no other team has been able to do, stop an offense that has weapons everywere. they only team that can stop Columbia is Columbia. Lions play your game, stay focused and please do not read coacht until next Saturday all this stuff we fans say will just get in your heads and coaches it will!

Cookeville beware the LION NATION is coming!!!!!!

In response...they played an exceptional offense last week and came out on top. so we'll just have to wait and see

I doubt Columbia will have better athletes than Mitchell. I'm not saying they aren't a better team, but I would doubt they have better athletes.

That said, I think this game will come down to can Columbia stop Beech?

It appears to me that most fans in today's football wants to see glitz and glamour, throw the ball around style offenses. Sure this is exciting, but remember HS football is still played with kids and if the wide open, chuck it everywhere offense isn't clicking all you do is give the ball to the other team with no time taken off the clock. When you throw the ball, only three things can happen and two of those are bad. "Most" HS qbs are going to make mistakes and the mistakes are only magnified if you throw it around all night.

What I have seen with Beech this year is just as impressive, if not more so, than the chuck it around and let my athlete make a play style that some others run. When an opponent put 8+ people in the box (Mitchell at times had as many as all 11), knows what's coming and still can't stop it, it really becomes demoralizing. In saying that, I will also say Beech has a pretty good qb that makes the throws he needs to and doent seem to make a lot of mistakes. They also have some guys that can go get it when needed.

At the end of the night I believe the run game will be overwhelming and Beech wins by 2 touchdowns. It could be 28-14 or 49-35, who knows. Just my thoughts. :D

o man. all this talk about the state game is getting me all worked up :D i wish i had a time machine so i could just go to friday morning and head to cookville.

my friend that playes for beech and I were talking today. or atleast i think it was today¿? i don't remember but anywho he told me they are going to come ready to play some smash mouth football and im possitive central is too. at the end though im going to give it to columbia by a field goal. maybe a touchdown. and possibly in overtime? :lol: now then.... imma go find a time machine :D

Columbia's defense totally took South out of their offensive game. Their D flew to the ball and I think a few South offensive players got intimidated. #30 (to me) was a better linebacker than RB. South dropped some catchable passes and the holding penalty (to me) was bogus. South didn't run a play in their territory until around the 8 min mark in the third quarter. Their D played well enough to win. But, Columbia was ready to play and Friday night was the better team.

I will say this...it was noticed that the Columbia QB goes with his first pass option, if he isn't open #5 takes off. He throws a great pass but I thought South covered well, especially on the deep ball. South also made 8-9 tackles for loss and created some turnovers. Columbia offense proved it could move the ball but their scores in the second half came off two turnovers and drives of 46 and 12 yards (fg). The last TD was after South turned it over on downs and South was tackling the football as the game was over at that point.

I don't know about Beech...but Columbia can certainly win the game...but they aren't unbeatable. Columbia has won all their playoff games on their home field...they get out of that comfort zone this week. In this game, the throats tighten and individual fear of failure creeps in...the team that overcomes that pressure and protects the football wins...

Best team in Beech's history. Very solid. Except the kicking game, it could use some work. Beech looks to be the hot team right now.

You just don't make it to state by getting it handed to ya. Obviously both teams are hot to make it to the State Championship. This is central's best team by far, This was their 1st time making it past the 2nd round, 1st time in the state championship as well. Zach Tate is one of best qbs in the state.....its going to be a shoot out.

I doubt Columbia will have better athletes than Mitchell. I'm not saying they aren't a better team, but I would doubt they have better athletes.

That said, I think this game will come down to can Columbia stop Beech?

It appears to me that most fans in today's football wants to see glitz and glamour, throw the ball around style offenses. Sure this is exciting, but remember HS football is still played with kids and if the wide open, chuck it everywhere offense isn't clicking all you do is give the ball to the other team with no time taken off the clock. When you throw the ball, only three things can happen and two of those are bad. "Most" HS qbs are going to make mistakes and the mistakes are only magnified if you throw it around all night.

What I have seen with Beech this year is just as impressive, if not more so, than the chuck it around and let my athlete make a play style that some others run. When an opponent put 8+ people in the box (Mitchell at times had as many as all 11), knows what's coming and still can't stop it, it really becomes demoralizing. In saying that, I will also say Beech has a pretty good qb that makes the throws he needs to and doent seem to make a lot of mistakes. They also have some guys that can go get it when needed.

At the end of the night I believe the run game will be overwhelming and Beech wins by 2 touchdowns. It could be 28-14 or 49-35, who knows. Just my thoughts. :shock:

I disagree AC QB had over 4000 yards passing as a JR. Wait till next year with all the talent comming back

Columbia's defense totally took South out of their offensive game. Their D flew to the ball and I think a few South offensive players got intimidated. #30 (to me) was a better linebacker than RB. ...

While Tra'Darius is a great running back, we have other running backs who can average 6 to 7 yards a carry. But we don't have a lot of linebackers who are a threat to knock a RB on any given hit. That is why apparently Notre Dame has expressed an interest in him. I'm sure others are looking at him as well. He pretty well knocked out an AC WR two weeks ago and about knocked out an AC player last week. The kid was slow to get up. He actually acted like he didn't want to get up. I'm sure he had a dizzy trip home that night.

So in keeping with the theory if you have great running backs, why take a chance on getting your All State and District defensive player of the year hurt running the ball when you have others who can do it. Just let Baby Shaq blow up RB's and WR's and let the other great running backs run it.

Tra'Darius will run when they need tough yards though. And he can knock out defenders as a running back as well.

Theoretically, if the backs Beech backs are 220 to 230, they could wear down our Mike Tyson lookalike if they make it past our D line.

Anybody know how big the Beech running backs are?