Maryville's Philip Juhlin

Rebs0908

I have been viewing CoachT for a long time. Let me start by saying that my kids have long graduated from Maryville High School, so I naturally am not entirely passionate about this argument. However, it is still essential that I report possibly the most preposterous injustice I have ever seen in high school football. Philip Juhlin is not going to win Mr. Football in Tennessee--nor was even on the final ballot. Talking to numerous Maryville faithfuls, Philip is no doubt one of the best (if not the best quarterback) that Maryville has ever had. Many observers would rather field Juhlin (because of his versatility) over previous Mr. Football winner, Brent Burnette.

It is an absolute crime that a player so talented is being denied credit. Maryville is playing in the 6A state championship this weekend, and you don't play in a 6A State Championship without talented players. GQ is an offensive genius, yes, but he has some great kids who deserve credit as well.

Maryville players who deserve to be on the All-Star team:

Philip Juhlin (QB)

Lee Bristol (DB)

Numerous others deserve to be All-State as well.

Can someone please post Philip's stats?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been viewing CoachT for a long time. Let me start by saying that my kids have long graduated from Maryville High School, so I naturally am not entirely passionate about this argument. However, it is still essential that I report possibly the most preposterous injustice I have ever seen in high school football. Philip Juhlin is not going to win Mr. Football in Tennessee--nor was even on the final ballot. Talking to numerous Maryville faithfuls, Philip is no doubt one of the best (if not the best quarterback) that Maryville has ever had. Many observers would rather field Juhlin (because of his versatility) over previous Mr. Football winner, Brent Burnette.

It is an absolute crime that a player so talented is being denied credit. Maryville is playing in the 6A state championship this weekend, and you don't play in a 6A State Championship without talented players. GQ is an offensive genius, yes, but he has some great kids who deserve credit as well.

Maryville players who deserve to be on the All-Star team:

The greatest injustice is those young men aren't even playing in the All Star game at Carson Newman. Another great senior player is Kody Harris.

Philip Juhlin (QB)

Lee Bristol (DB)

Numerous others deserve to be All-State as well.

Can someone please post Philip's stats?

I don't want to take anything away from past Maryville QB's - but I'll agree that Phil is playing as well as any QB we've had in the last 15 years (I'm too young to remember any before that).

He has certainly been the juggernaut behind this team's offensive success. As a sophomore he threw a pretty ugly ball, but his arm is a strength for him now. I hope that he goes out Saturday & proves on the state-wide stage the caliber of quarterback we know him to be.

I don't have up to date stats on Juhlin but as of the end of the regular season he was completing 73% of his passes, 17 TDs and 1 INT. I think he was at 27 TD and 3 INT before the Riverdale game and still around 72%.

Lee Bristol has 9 INTs, 3 for TDs.

I agree....these guys have been overlooked. Hopefully, they will both have great games in Cookeville.

I for one think that he Is the Best QB Maryville high School has ever had , especially If he leads his team to another win Sat. I know that's saying a lot considering all the QB's we've had here , but I think he fits perfectly to Coach Quarles Offense and he Puts this team on his shoulders when he has to . Our young Receivers have come a long way since the first of the year , but Philip Juhlin Is the best kept secret In the State of Tennessee . I think our local media , who earlier in the year game after game let everyone know they weren't all that impressed with Maryville is the reason Philip Juhlin has been kept a secret . I bet if Philip played on a Knoxville team , he would be a finalist for Mr. Football .

I agree with not taking anything away from previous Rebel QBs. To try and compare different QBs from different seasons is hardly apples to apples. There's no doubt, though, that Juhlin is being overlooked. I think I read in recent days where Coach Quarles said Maryville would be about a .500 team without him. His numbers are outstanding, but more importantly, he seems to me an extension of Coach Quarles on the field. As such, he makes those around him better. That's the goal and the highest compliment you can give a QB or point guard.

I don't know the young man, but I have a suspicion he couldn't care less --at least, not at this point-- about all-star games. He's playing in the game that matters most. That even keel, eye on the prize approach seems a trademark of Maryville teams. It's served them well and will continue to. The scoreboard and personal honors will usually take care of themselves.

Having just watched some of the Titans/Cardinals game (Young & Leinart), I'm reminded by this topic of the way Vince Young, at the college level, dealt with any personal disappointments, constructively channeling that energy into a tremendous team accomplishment.

Hands down no question the best qb we faced since BJ Coleman. I can't see how this tallent gets over looked, it does'nt matter what team logo he's wearing, to me thats irrelevant. Someone said the allstar selection is from the head coaches, does this mean Juhlins' did or did note vote? Just curious because IMO he should rep. the east squad at qb position.

I don't have up to date stats on Juhlin but as of the end of the regular season he was completing 73% of his passes, 17 TDs and 1 INT. I think he was at 27 TD and 3 INT before the Riverdale game and still around 72%.

Lee Bristol has 9 INTs, 3 for TDs.

I agree....these guys have been overlooked. Hopefully, they will both have great games in Cookeville.

This is only half his game. What about his running stats?