Lawrence co.,Loretto,Summertown

Hawse40

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is what I know about the situation.

1. S'town and LCHS have not played since an incident at S'town several years ago between Coach McBee and Mickey Dunn. Coach McBee called out some LCHS fans for throwing ice on the floor and Mr Dunn decided that he would side with the students / fans that were throwing the ice and there was a heated exchange between the two.

2. The teams did play in the 21st district reunion tournament held at LCHS a few years back. The schedule worked out where SHS played two games in one day. Of course LCHS just happened to be the opponent for the second game.

3. Mickey Dunn told his coaches that as long as he was in charge that LCHS would not play SHS. Before you dispute, ask some of your former boys coaches.

4. Coach Clark becomes head coach and he calls SHS wanting to schedule games. SHS response was sure lets sign a 10 year contract to play a home and home. LCHS refused - LCHS had rather pick and choose when they play. SHS stance is that if we can't play every year we will not play at all- LCHS seems to only want to play when they feel they have the better team returning and SHS has been hit hard by graduation. Just play every year and let the chips fall where they may!

5. Richland Christmas Classic - Why would we allow someone else to get the huge gate if SHS and LCHS can't work the issue out to play home and home?

6. As for the comment about being afraid of the competition - SHS plays bigger schools every year, win some lose some. See last seasons Christmas Tourny at Father Ryan - Stratford, Blackman, Mt Juliet all AAA schools. SHS plays Lewis Co every year, Spring Hill every year, Loretto every year when they were AA, Lincoln Co, David Lipscomb to name a few from the last couple of seasons.

7. If LCHS really wants to play - play every year stop trying to dictate scheduling to their advantage.

Dispute, discuss all you want - LCHS is the reason there is not a home and home with SHS. As an SHS fan, i used to want the teams to play. I could care less anymore.

Our sucess on the court speaks for itself!

Actually it was Summertown who wanted to pick and choose what years to play.

1. Summertown and Lawrence County (boys) played each other two summers ago in Columbia. Lawrence County won by about 10 or so give or take a couple of points. But Summertown didn't have one of their best players (Harville). Would have been two outstanding regular season games if they'd played.

2. Loretto beat Lawrence County in the boys game at the "barn" last year. LCHS was way down but still Loretto won. When Loretto came to LCHS's gym, they were beat by 30 at least. Loretto graduated 6 or 7 seniors last year while LCHS graduated 2, which resulted in Loretto not wanting to play LCHS this year.

3. Yes, LCHS's student section is extremely wild, but that is the tradition of LCHS basketball. The students never touch the opposing players, they only shoot the ball when it comes right to them. Oh well.

4. Lawrence County doesn't want to play Summertown @ SHS because of the seating inside the gym. LCHS fans could jam the SHS gym alone, without the SHS fans. There's not enough room at SHS.

5. LCHS had to schedule Moore Co. and Wayne Co. because Coffee County moved out of district (2 games gone). Independence dropped them because new Coach (2 games gone). BGA dropped LCHS because of a new AD (one game gone). And then of course Loretto dropping LCHS (2 games gone). LCHS has had to schedule new opponents this year because of teams dropping them of geographic and management issues. Not just Moore Co. and Wayne Co.

The players would love to play these games. It's too bad that it can't happen.

Here is what I know about the situation.

1. S'town and LCHS have not played since an incident at S'town several years ago between Coach McBee and Mickey Dunn. Coach McBee called out some LCHS fans for throwing ice on the floor and Mr Dunn decided that he would side with the students / fans that were throwing the ice and there was a heated exchange between the two.

2. The teams did play in the 21st district reunion tournament held at LCHS a few years back. The schedule worked out where SHS played two games in one day. Of course LCHS just happened to be the opponent for the second game.

3. Mickey Dunn told his coaches that as long as he was in charge that LCHS would not play SHS. Before you dispute, ask some of your former boys coaches.

4. Coach Clark becomes head coach and he calls SHS wanting to schedule games. SHS response was sure lets sign a 10 year contract to play a home and home. LCHS refused - LCHS had rather pick and choose when they play. SHS stance is that if we can't play every year we will not play at all- LCHS seems to only want to play when they feel they have the better team returning and SHS has been hit hard by graduation. Just play every year and let the chips fall where they may!

5. Richland Christmas Classic - Why would we allow someone else to get the huge gate if SHS and LCHS can't work the issue out to play home and home?

6. As for the comment about being afraid of the competition - SHS plays bigger schools every year, win some lose some. See last seasons Christmas Tourny at Father Ryan - Stratford, Blackman, Mt Juliet all AAA schools. SHS plays Lewis Co every year, Spring Hill every year, Loretto every year when they were AA, Lincoln Co, David Lipscomb to name a few from the last couple of seasons.

7. If LCHS really wants to play - play every year stop trying to dictate scheduling to their advantage.

Dispute, discuss all you want - LCHS is the reason there is not a home and home with SHS. As an SHS fan, i used to want the teams to play. I could care less anymore.

Our sucess on the court speaks for itself!

Actually it was Summertown who wanted to pick and choose what years to play.

1. Summertown and Lawrence County (boys) played each other two summers ago in Columbia. Lawrence County won by about 10 or so give or take a couple of points. But Summertown didn't have one of their best players (Harville). Would have been two outstanding regular season games if they'd played.

2. Loretto beat Lawrence County in the boys game at the "barn" last year. LCHS was way down but still Loretto won. When Loretto came to LCHS's gym, they were beat by 30 at least. Loretto graduated 6 or 7 seniors last year while LCHS graduated 2, which resulted in Loretto not wanting to play LCHS this year.

3. Yes, LCHS's student section is extremely wild, but that is the tradition of LCHS basketball. The students never touch the opposing players, they only shoot the ball when it comes right to them. Oh well.

4. Lawrence County doesn't want to play Summertown @ SHS because of the seating inside the gym. LCHS fans could jam the SHS gym alone, without the SHS fans. There's not enough room at SHS.

5. LCHS had to schedule Moore Co. and Wayne Co. because Coffee County moved out of district (2 games gone). Independence dropped them because new Coach (2 games gone). BGA dropped LCHS because of a new AD (one game gone). And then of course Loretto dropping LCHS (2 games gone). LCHS has had to schedule new opponents this year because of teams dropping them of geographic and management issues. Not just Moore Co. and Wayne Co.

The players would love to play these games. It's too bad that it can't happen.

Point # 5 is exactly the point.With LCHS difficulty in scheduling,It would seem like a with some good idea for SOMEONE (perhaps Dr. Heath) with some SENSE to "encourage" co-operation and sportsmanship. I'm done Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night!

Point # 5 is exactly the point.With LCHS difficulty in scheduling,It would seem like a with some good idea for SOMEONE (perhaps Dr. Heath) with some SENSE to "encourage" co-operation and sportsmanship. I'm done Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night!

At least your not blaming it all on Lawrence County now.

At least your not blaming it all on Lawrence County now.

I don't know how you arrived at that conclusion from this post.It doesn't make any difference who is to blame the most.The point I was making from your point #5 about scheduling is that Lawrence Co' has the MOST to gain By playing S'town and Loretto.I'm sure there was weeks of anticipation and an "electric"atmosphere when you demolished East Lit. last night. You can keep boasting about your level of competition being above SHS & LHS (and it surely is ;FOR NOW)And they'll never play LCHS again.THEY can get plenty of close games with equal competition ,( You Ccan't because of your size and location),and lot's less aggravation from their own fans and yours.

Hawse40- did you watch the games last night against East Literature or just look at the scoreboard? maybe the performance was worthy of such a scoreline and not simply just the opposition? just a thought

You either miss the point ,or I haven't been clear. If you have a bigger crowd,sell more concessions,get stronger competition,don't have the problems you do with the county schools,and generally just feel happier;You need to keep playing Moore co.,East Lit.,Spring Hill, and Wayne Co.You don't need the county schools,but they don't need LCHS either.They can make out a schedule with good gates.No I didn't see East Lit.,.don't plan to,nor do lots of fans.I stand corrected.It's definitley better than playing Summertown or Loretto. Merry Christmas!

For the LCHS girls team & competition sake, we need to be scheduling other top rank teams during the season for the out of district games. We play some of the best teams in the state during play days, but it would be more meaningful during the season. It seems that Moore Co, Spring Hill, Giles Co & E. Lit. are not whats needed to further the competitive edge. Now, Rivedale, Mt Juiliet, Jackson NS, Upperman, ETC... would do that. I'm sure it always comes down to travel and schedule hassles. Just two a season would be nice. Also they would most likely have a very good boys team so they could also be tested.

• 3 weeks later...

I remember the ice throwing incident. I was sure proud of Coach McBee!!! He stood up to Mickey Dunn!!! I recall Mickey Dunn actually telling him that they had just lost a good gate because as long as he was in charge of Lawrence County schools, they would not play. Guess what--he is still the principal there. He was also quoted during that time, that he was tired of losing to a Class A school and that it didn't serve LCHS for that to happen. I can go back to the years of Cedrick Wallace when he was MR Supreme ballplayer at LCHS and the little boys from Summertown beat them straight up. I also remember Chickenwing getting his behind handed to him by Aaron Burdette. The ice throwing incident was the result of something in the girls game, that poster was right. The LCHS girls won big that night and at one point a gal from SHS got knocked to the floor. In retalliation later, she just mugged the same girl from LCHS. No foul was called on either play. It was the LCHS fans that acted unruly at the game and in the boys game, the bigger, badder team from LCHS was dominated by the lesser competition from Summertown. Another thing that has bugged me is that you can never find a SHS game on the radio (WLX or WDXE) unless NEITHER LCHS or Loretto are playing, yet when tournament time rolls around and Summertown is the only team left playing (Most years this is the case), both stations jump on htier coattails for the ride. That is just wrong too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!