Disappointed in some u-15 Division I teams decision..

CHAMPDDS

There are some very good players that don't go through ODP on the girl’s side. My definition of very good is probably different. I am not aware of any players in the higher echelon of Division I program; such as the ACC or SEC that starts or play significant minutes, and did not go through the ODP process in Tennessee. There are always exceptions. There are other avenues to playing on a higher echelon college team but in Tennessee you will typically need to be involved in the ODP program or on a good club team with a good coach that is well respected by college coaches.

There are many ways to play in college, at various levels, and to get scholarships or get accepted into better academic school through soccer. Players should not be under the illusion that they will get a full athletic scholarship unless they are a Regional Team or higher level player, depending on the program.

Charles De Gaulle said “the graveyards are full of indispensible men." Anyone in college sports should understand that anyone could become expendable, probably more so than their classmates. This is no different than any other area of life. If you like, I would be more than willing to have a discussion in regards to the plantation economy aspect of big time college football and basketball. As it has been noted, a players experience is specific to the program. In addition to what's been said before, a player should do their due diligence before committing to a program to have an idea of what to expect. Just as Bean knows players that are enjoying their experience at a lower division, I also know players enjoying their experiences at higher divisions. It's all anecdotal.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Much of this entire discussion rests on each individual players' desire to move into the college level. How much of this discussion is based on what the player truly wants to do versus what the parent would like to see happen?

It is true that the team that a player is a member of for state tournament purposes can affect her exposure; however, that is not the only way to get exposure. My oldest daughter is a Freshman in college and loving it. She did play on a D1 level club team for all of her club years along with ODP in the early years, but the team was never a state champion (Stones River Strikers dominated that age group) nor did they go to many major showcase events. She turned down college (full ride) offers to play from a mix of D1, D2, and D3 teams. Her opinion was that she wanted to focus on academics and also enjoy her college life. As much as "I" wanted her to pursue college soccer for two reasons...one, I think that she is talented and two, the money would have been nice...but it was ultimately her choice. She is going to an SEC school and playing on the club soccer team for the school which has kept her skills up, but she also was able to balance academics and sorority to the fullest! They had a very talented team filled with players like her who could have played on an "official" college team, but opted for the lower commitment level. This team went 10-2-2 practicing only two days per week playing other SEC and ACC club soccer teams. Although she did not play ODP in her older years or play on a state championship team, she had the offers.

I still have a chance to "sway" my younger daughter towards an "official" college team; however, she is leaning towards following the footsteps of my older daughter...it will be her choice, too. I do not regret the money paid for ODP, club soccer fees, and club soccer travel and the programs nor the time commitment which has been great for my girls and built good character and discipline. And at least for my older one, who for her made the best choice for herself...she is a happy college freshman still playing some soccer...what more could you want? :roflol:

We have 3 soccer players, all girls, each at differing levels, with very good skill. Our oldest is now a junior in college. She played 1 year of club ball, the rest AYSO, all the way to U19. She plays IM and for her sorority. Our second was a strong competitive player at D1 and D2, and played in 75 varsity matches for a top ranked HS every year in the Redmond 11. She is a freshman in college and does not play intercollegiate sports, although where she is at, she very well could. Our youngest is a junior in HS. She started playing club at 8 after the AYSO (I tried coaching a long time ago) could not keep her down. She played on her older sisters' club teams for the most part for logistic reasons and we did not have her in ODP in the early years because of logistics and resource allocation. It was playing up a year, sometimes two, that she has learned to play at a higher level. This year, she had a standout club season playing up a year, winning state, going to Regionals at Dallas, and getting seen by coaches. She garnered some pretty good HS accolades for a junior as well. She has become on the college coaches radar. She plays premier, but we are thinking of having her play ODP late. ODP is probably the only way high level conference (ACC, SEC, A10) coaches can screen out players, but it is not the only avenue. There are many colleges that dont care if a player had ODP. Coaches go to showcases, and regionals, and have mini camps, and if she wants to be seen, she will go where the coaches go. She is now coming into her own. In a way I am glad we did not have her in younger age ODP. Yes its allot of commitment now and sometimes I just might be better off sticking the money in the savings for her college. However, there is confidence building, and the fact that she can do something at a very elite level teaches her hard work takes her further than talent.

I find the whole discussion interesting....If you are on a really good club team and qualifying for showcase events you can be seen. The best way to be seen is to go to camp at that college where they can see you for 2-5 days. If you are good and that's where you want to play...that is the most cost effective way to get on their radar...can you do it without playing odp...yes.....how often does it happen to a major D1 school? my guess...10%....I know a girl that is dynamite and will play in the sec who doesn't play odp but its because she is talented enough to get away with it.

Now...my main reason for chiming in is I support odp. I believe the value of what we have received has been well worth every penny....and yet I don't think it's that overwhelming or expensive when i look at what i get from club soccer.

We normally have 3 tryout dates from Nov-Jan (one a month avg) in nashville or 3hrs away for us... a weekend in decatur, al in march...a practice in june to prepare for Region camp and then Region camp in Ala. Most weekend sessions are $50-$75 registration fee for 3 training sessions and great competition. Region camp for $500 dollars has tons of coaches from across the SE US who get to see your kid. You get a coach from another state to watch and coach your team while you are there. Most or all coaches are A license coaches.

It's 100% fine to say that you don't want to play odp but for anyone to say it's too much or cost too much when you haven't participated becomes a little hollow to me.... In fact, I believe the TN teams ought to play in a couple of tournaments so that the team can perform better at region camp and qualify for the Reg III championships. But when you consider they using the high level players and those players have team committments they need to fullfill...tn odp has appeared to keep the committment at a very reasonable request.

Please know this is just an opinion but it is an opinion from someone who chose not to do odp year one due to thinking it was going to be too much on my child and for the last 3 years have loved every minute of it and my daughter has not been selected to the Reg pool. In the near future we will have another question to cross, my daughter will committ DI and when she does do we do odp the next year??? I can't answer that at this moment...we know the value but do we just play club and HS? that's a bridge we will have to cross and i don't know the answer....

• 3 months later...

Actually my daughter's team, BWSC 95 Elite had a new manager this year and he missed sending in the paperwork to TN Soccer by a few days and they rejected our application for D1 State League. The deadline was in the fall during the high school season and we hadn't even started playing yet. I think there may have been a number of other teams in the same boat. TN Soccer had an early deadline for no good reason and it really hurt U-15 this year.We tried every way possible to get an acception and they turned us down at every level. So we can't even play D 2.

We are playing extra Tournaments and Friendlies. Also we are doing the US Club Regional Tournament in Vero Beach over Memorial Weekend. We won the Regional last year and went to the US Club Nationals which was a blast, but we would have done anything to play state league this year.

In my opinion, you can blame the situation with U-15 State League on TN Soccer and thier stupid deadlines and rigid enforcement.

Have to admit I am a little bit disappointed that so many u-15 teams this year, that were Division I last year, have opted to drop down to Division II... (you know who you are)...Basically makes the Division I league a joke, since only four division I teams exist this season, and they are only going to play league to establish seeding for the state tournament, since they all automatically qualify !

I really think Tennessee Soccer should have taken a closer look at this situation and perhaps intervene or adjust things to balance out the system better...( Consider Georgia's model for select team divisions...that seems to be a much better system, versus letting the teams decide which division to play in....)

Of course, just my opinion...

D :thumb:

2009-2010 Division II Teams:

BRENTWOOD BWSC 95 GIRLS SELECT

CHATTANOOGA UNITED FC 95

EAST RIDGE SA EXPRESS 95 SHOCKERS

FC ALLIANCE 95 GOLD

TENNESSEE UNITED SC 95 GIRLS RED

MURFREESBORO SC STRIKERS PREMIER 95

TENNESSEE RUSH JACKSON 95 GIRLS NIKE

TENNESSEE RUSH NIKE 95

HARPETH FC LADY HURRICANES

TNFC 95 BLITZ

COLLIERVILLE SA 95 LADY LOBOS WHITE

UNIDA JAGUARS

I agree 100%...and this is certainly not the first time I have heard issues with the state and like you said, their rigid deadlines. Believe me , I am all for structure and getting things organized..BUT...there has to be some flexibilty...For example, why not have a set deadline like they do currently, but also a stated penalty fee for late applications...that way they can have the ridiculously early deadlines for signing up, but a built in buffer of time for the possible late applications with their financial penalty. That would be incentive to get the paperwork in, but also allow for the occasional missed deadline. I don't know about you, but I am just a volunteer managing, with my $0.00 per year salary.

This lack of flexibilty has created the silly 4 team division I u-15 league this year...all qualify for state, and now they have to spend extra money for 'seeding' by doing the required league games..what a joke...So it is even more irritating to hear what happened to your team, and that by allowing some 'understanding' to the equation, this would have made for a more competitive pre-state tournament league situation...

D :thumb:

I had a son come through the Tennessee ODP system. It has pros and cons and TN Soccer has made efforts to improve the program over the past five years we were involved. Politics and expense exist in all US youth soccer programs from rec to high school to premier league to ODP.

What I can say about ODP that my son would repeat as a benefit of the system is:

*You receive training from various coaches (this is not only beneficial to the development of the player's game, but their coachability)

*You get to meet players from across the state and the region (this is more important than you realize as it forms bonds, allows for guest playing with familar players, etc.)

*Regional camp prepares them for an aspect of college (dorm life!)

*Every college coach during recruitment seminars begin by saying..."We first look at ODP players" (This is because it takes dedication to the game to drive to the middle of the state to practice for two hours, or play year round)

Obviously players make it to the collegiate level or beyond without ODP (and Academy and Development leagues are clouding the importance of the program), but if your child is serious about the sport and looks to play in college, ODP is one of the hoops that should be on their list to jump through.

Now on topic: Competing at D1 or D2 at State Levels is another one of those great debates. If the player is serious, talented with aspirations to advance beyond club and/or high school, they need to be on a D1 competing team at the eligible age, period.

• 1 month later...
  • 8 years later...
On 12/7/2009 at 7:30 PM, CHAMPDDS said:

Have to admit I am a little bit disappointed that so many u-15 teams this year, that were Division I last year, have opted to drop down to Division II... (you know who you are)...Basically makes the Division I league a joke, since only four division I teams exist this season, and they are only going to play league to establish seeding for the state tournament, since they all automatically qualify !

I really think Tennessee Soccer should have taken a closer look at this situation and perhaps intervene or adjust things to balance out the system better...( Consider Georgia's model for select team divisions...that seems to be a much better system, versus letting the teams decide which division to play in....)

Of course, just my opinion...

D :hungry:

2009-2010 Division II Teams:

BRENTWOOD BWSC 95 GIRLS SELECT

CHATTANOOGA UNITED FC 95

EAST RIDGE SA EXPRESS 95 SHOCKERS

FC ALLIANCE 95 GOLD

TENNESSEE UNITED SC 95 GIRLS RED

MURFREESBORO SC STRIKERS PREMIER 95

TENNESSEE RUSH JACKSON 95 GIRLS NIKE

TENNESSEE RUSH NIKE 95

HARPETH FC LADY HURRICANES

TNFC 95 BLITZ

COLLIERVILLE SA 95 LADY LOBOS WHITE

https://notepad.software/  https://downloader.vip/malwarebytes/  https://filezilla.software/

UNIDA JAGUARS

The last team, CUFC 95 BLACK, is from the newly formed merger club here in Chattanooga that for the most part, is a hybrid of the former Redoubt and Premier Soccer Academy (PSA95)..which both played divsion I last season...

Edited by margolavo