What's the future of D2 Football?

Commotion

With a change in powerhouse teams winning in consistent years (i.e. MBA) to teams like the new powerhouse MUS, there have been several additional changes that have affected recent D2 football. Ensworth is a very young school and is one of the best teams in D2 (at least regular season wise). MBA and Brentwood Academy have both progressively weaker teams, as if losing talent to other schools in Nashville (Ensworth, obviously). Father Ryan is on a recent rebound with Lussier, and has proved they can beat any team in D2 (With wins over BA, McCallie). Chattanooga teams have not been competitive with the D2 teams outside of Chattanooga football competition. MUS and Christian brothers will always seem like legit contenders for future championships, with some random Nashville team that has to fight a near civil war in order to get to compete with either school. JP2 is not in the right class or division.

Thoughts on the future of D2?

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MBA has gotten progressively worse? They've been to the finals 2 of the last 3 years and won one of them. The year they didn't make the finals, they lost in the semifinals to the eventual state champion, one of the best TN high school football teams in the last decade. Sure is a tough time to be a Big Red fan.

interesting question....

my observation would be that Middle TN will be the center of the D2 universe in a civil-war type atmosphere as you describe. FRHS is at long last operating on equal footing with the others with its own on campus stadium. I'm not sold on Lussier, but FRHS is in a position to make strides in the division in the coming years. BA will be BA; MBA will be MBA, and EHS will continue to rise. BGA and JPII are going to have a hard time keeping up as small schools with limited resources. MBA, BA, FRHS, and EHS have many storylines among them. That round robin is going to be fun (again, esp with Ryan playing on campus) for all involved.

My thought is that, based on this year (and other years), the regular season match-ups will be interesting for this group....because it's so hard to beat these teams twice in the same season. MBA proved that in spades this year, but it has been proven many times over the years. Honestly its going to be a challenge for these coaches to gameplan against a team you are likely to face again in the play-offs. Don't be surprised if the regular season games start to look a little vanilla, albeit hard fought.

MBA has gotten progressively worse? They've been to the finals 2 of the last 3 years and won one of them. The year they didn't make the finals, they lost in the semifinals to the eventual state champion, one of the best TN high school football teams in the last decade. Sure is a tough time to be a Big Red fan.

Ha ha. I'm sorry, I tend to confuse MBA with BA. MBA is still one of the most solid teams in D2. The fact they made it to the championship game this year is fantastic. But every team around MBA in Nashville now will always be... just as good as MBA.

With a change in powerhouse teams winning in consistent years (i.e. MBA) to teams like the new powerhouse MUS, there have been several additional changes that have affected recent D2 football. Ensworth is a very young school and is one of the best teams in D2 (at least regular season wise). MBA and Brentwood Academy have both progressively weaker teams, as if losing talent to other schools in Nashville (Ensworth, obviously). Father Ryan is on a recent rebound with Lussier, and has proved they can beat any team in D2 (With wins over BA, McCallie). Chattanooga teams have not been competitive with the D2 teams outside of Chattanooga football competition. MUS and Christian brothers will always seem like legit contenders for future championships, with some random Nashville team that has to fight a near civil war in order to get to compete with either school. JP2 is not in the right class or division.

Well I can confidently say that that next year MUS will not win the championship and I think their fans would agree. But there is also a lot of talent lost all throughout the league and not just MUS. Ensworth will be good next year with Anderson and Richardosn and MBA will be returning with Simonis and BA will have Victor Caro.

13 large DII titles – 6 to MBA, 4 to MUS, and 1 each to Ryan, Brentwood Academy, and McCallie. So, there is really no “change in powerhouse teams” winning in consistent years, as only one team has won titles consistently (prior to MUS), and that is MBA. “Consistent” has a connotation of a pattern.

Interesting that the wins cited for a program that can “beat any team in D2” are a win against a “progressively weaker team” and a win against a team “not competitive outside of Chattanooga”. That’s a really compelling argument. Alas, the Irish are better, and they certainly have pummeled their rival – well, their new rival. It’s the S.O.S. with their old rival, that’s for sure.

Christian Brothers will “always seem like a legit contender” for future championships? CBHS has a good program, but I’m not sure I can see how the absences from the last four finals would lead one to that conclusion. Granted, I am not up to speed on CBHS; I haven’t seen the Brothers play since a 34-0 whitewashing in Nashville in 2008 – a really surprising loss given that the opponent has become progressively weaker over the years.

Looking forward to further input from you on the boards, as you seem to bring a lot to the table. We need quite a bit of that, as much of the banter on here is borne out of jealousy and turning attention away from one’s own shortcomings. Welcome.

MUS could be a powerhouse, but let's not get ahead of ourselves. The last two years they've been led by probably the best quarterback in the state, who they're losing, and they're losing most of their team this year. Let's see if they can reload next year, and then judge.

Ensworth is very good, and will be a monster next year for most teams. The especially heavy right side of their offensive line (Crenshaw + Richardson) will probably give nightmares to most coaches. Not to mention that they also play defense. Both weigh over 300 lbs. Also, they never seem to lack athletes.

Father Ryan, while they had one of their best seasons in a long time, will probably remain Father Ryan.

I haven't seen anything on CBHS, so I won't comment on them. Although, I do know that they have a beast of a kid playing linebacker for them.

BA and MBA are not on any sort of decline. MBA got pretty close to winning 2 of the last 3 state championships. Keep that in mind the next time that you post. You can't expect to win every year. Also remember that they started a lot of juniors and sophomores on this year's team. BA, while they haven't won in a few years, is probably the fastest, most athletic team in the division. With King, Caro, and Tate, they were probably the fastest team this year. And I believe 2 if not all 3 of them are returning next year (not sure if Tate is a jr or sr). I'd take BA over any of your up-and-coming powerhouses (MUS, FRHS, CBHS) next year.

I'm going to guess you're somehow biased toward one of the teams that you mentioned earlier. Because if you took an honest look at the teams around D-II this year, you'd realize that things are probably going to stay the same for quite some time.

MBA and Brentwood Academy have both progressively weaker teams, as if losing talent to other schools in Nashville (Ensworth, obviously).

Really? We(Ensworth) will be very good again next year. Anderson will put up the numbers that Darkwa did, but we have to find a way to get to the championship game! MBA will always be MBA. Very competitive and usually even better than most the teams in this division. Your statement of BA is what is astounding. If you have seen them play, you would understand that they are the most talented team in the state. i know that they have lost more games these past couple years than we are use to seeing, but when the play-offs come, they always show up. Probably the main reason they have been in 8 of the last 10 state championship games!! So don't let your bias for a certain school make it appear that you don't know what you are talking about. Good luck to all teams in 2010!!

MUS could be a powerhouse, but let's not get ahead of ourselves. The last two years they've been led by probably the best quarterback in the state, who they're losing, and they're losing most of their team this year. Let's see if they can reload next year, and then judge.

MUS has won 4 out of the last 6 championships, I would say they are there. The Owls lost 10 of 11 defensive starters last year and still IMO, had the best defense in Div II. MUS played half the year without McBride(beating Olive Branch and South Panola) and beat 6A champion White Station without Barry Brunetti. I doubt another undefeated season will happen with SP on the schedule, but I don't see the Owls dropping off by a huge margin.

13 large DII titles – 6 to MBA, 4 to MUS, and 1 each to Ryan, Brentwood Academy, and McCallie. So, there is really no “change in powerhouse teams” winning in consistent years, as only one team has won titles consistently (prior to MUS), and that is MBA. “Consistent” has a connotation of a pattern.

Interesting that the wins cited for a program that can “beat any team in D2” are a win against a “progressively weaker team” and a win against a team “not competitive outside of Chattanooga”. That’s a really compelling argument. Alas, the Irish are better, and they certainly have pummeled their rival – well, their new rival. It’s the S.O.S. with their old rival, that’s for sure.

Christian Brothers will “always seem like a legit contender” for future championships? CBHS has a good program, but I’m not sure I can see how the absences from the last four finals would lead one to that conclusion. Granted, I am not up to speed on CBHS; I haven’t seen the Brothers play since a 34-0 whitewashing in Nashville in 2008 – a really surprising loss given that the opponent has become progressively weaker over the years.

Looking forward to further input from you on the boards, as you seem to bring a lot to the table. We need quite a bit of that, as much of the banter on here is borne out of jealousy and turning attention away from one’s own shortcomings. Welcome.

It's not fair to your kids that your comments have insured that Santa won't even slow down for your zip code. Be it on your head.

I'm gonna chuckle about this one for days. Brilliant!

Maybe in the future.................

1. There will be a couple of DII AA schools pop up in east Tn that would provide for a more well rounded division.

2. BGA and maybe JPII could possibly slip to DII A one day.

3. In middle division, MBA, BA, and EHS will always be competitive with FRHS close behind.

4. In the west there will be just one competitive school every year, but not two.

5. In Chattanooga both Baylor and McCallie will continue being programs that compete about every 4 or 5 years.

6. I'd like to see a east/middle vs west regular season matchup, but due to travel concerns that won't be happening.

7. A playoff that has merit in the future.

8. DI schools are given an incentive to play DII schools vs a penalty for having a DII loss when it comes to playoff tie breakers.

Merry Christmas