LaVergne's Hester resigns

graider1976

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Backing up statements with facts and links to the facts is something lacking on message boards.

http://state.tn.us/education/reportcard/index.shtml This link takes you to the state dept of ed website. Click the graphic that says TDOE Report card and then use the drop down menus to select Lavergne Middle School. You'll find some crow to eat. LMS is a good school according to NCLB standards. On the same link above you'll find a link that says: TVAAS (connect to School Search and more - Public Use). Click this link and then click reports and select school reflection. Figure out the navigation and you can check LMS in every subject. There is some growth lacking in the 7th grade, but overall this is a good school.

Spend one hour at LHS and you will know why Daniels is out. It doesn't matter if he is black, white, purple, or polka dotted. The school is a mess. Change has to start at the top. Yes, there are good teachers and good kids at LHS but they are not the majority. And ones that are borderline and could be good become complacent because nothing more is expected from them. Then spend one hour at LMS and you will know why Ash is in. LHS has been given an opportunity to change its image and I hope that the entire school- administration, faculty, and students take advantage of the chance.

Really? I heard that the conduct of the 7th graders at LMS last year was so bad that it took not one but TWO full time math teachers to teach 7th grade math in one class all day. I also heard that out of the several hundred 8th graders last year at LMS, only a couple would be able to take math above standard when they got to LHS. That doesn't make a person very optimistic about the prospects of the principal from that middle school turning things around at LHS. But it can't be ruled out - however it will take help from all hands on deck and LOTS of $$ to improve the physical condition of the campus. Kids act worse in classrooms that are rundown and trashed-out looking.

Race is always a sensitive subject. At least Rutherford has had 1 minority coach for football. Check out other surrounding counties, i don't think sumner, smith, putnam, warren, franklin county, or wilson counties have had any. Seems like nobody cares about the kids. Kids want someone that will be honest to them and give them a chance. This board is popping with alot of lies. Why do people want to tell lies all the time and try to hurt another person's image. Im hear to tell the truth and will not lie. I heard that hester is good friends with ash, they go fishing together and ash asked him to reapply. It goes to show that nobody cares about the kids. How do they think a kid will play his heart out for a man that has tried to leave every year he was at LaVergne, he resigns and now wants to come back. LaVergne needs to go another way, hester will never get those kids in his corner again. Rumor has it the players are trying to contact news media and have a voice. Will Gill or Ash listen to the kids or will they continue to keep doing what they want to do. It's called the good ole boy mafia lol. Why do folk give hester so much credit? He is 9-21 as a head coach, everywhere he has coached as an assistant they had a losing record except the 2 years Don Thomas led LaVergne to playoffs 2 years in a row. Now it sounds like they trying to blame it on Mr. Daniels. Didn't Daniels let hester do whatever he wanted to do. Alot of backstabbing going on at LaVergne, it's a cut throat world. Here's some things that are the truth. Why did Hester allow 3 players that were caught stealing& got arrested stay on the team & their only punishment was to sit out the jamboree game at wilson central. He knew & allowed players that didn't live in the LaVergne zone to play for him. Heard one was riding the metro bus to go to practice. How did #20 become eligilbe to play when he transfered to the school with 2 credits, i don't think he was eligible until hester pulled some strings. I don't know the details but i know it happend. His teams had no discipline, they were asked to leave a rock springs middle school game for using to much profanity in front of small kids and parents, when asked to leave they cursed out the SRO. Players played in games under the influence of alcohol and drugs. He even allowed a kid that got arrested at the smyrna game for holding his cousins gun last year back on the team. But he's a great coach lol. The truth hurts and it's only going to get worse if he stays.

I believe Hester is a good coach. I do not believe one man can coach a entire football team alone. I will not speak on nothing I dont know about. I believe a Head Coach is only as good as the assistant coaches around him. The quality of your assistant coaches is very important, and I believe he had 2 quality coaches, If you watched LaVergne play last season Hester was calling both offense & defense, SO I hope that speaks for itself( You need good coaches around you). The Facts are Hester is 9-21 at LaVergne. The record speaks for itself, but does that make him a bad coach, was he able to get the guys he wanted on his staff ? I do not know the answer to that. I do not believe they was well coached from what I seen at every position. Hester cannot Coach every single position, Just because you tell a kid where to go on this certain play does not mean you have coached them well. What happen to fundementals? If you watched LaVergne play last season then you know they have plenty of talent to go around. I personally never cared who was my coach as long as I got to play football. I'm sure a lot of people can relate to this. If Will Hester is the head coach then the kids need to be ready to work & play, that is the bottom line because none of us know why he resigned. I bet it wasnt the kids that lead to that decision. The only people that know that answer is Jesus & Will Hester. I wish Will & the LaVergne Wolverines the best of luck in 2010.

I went to that link provided from the state about all schools and saw that 10.8% of LMS students had been suspended - 99 suspensions and that didn't include 6 expelled that it listed.

This doesn't mean all kids there are bad, but that is WAY too many having to be dealt with regarding conduct.

Meeting bare minimum academic standards also is nothing to brag about.

Thats not a "bare minimum" standard they met, but you can search other schools to see that. And that number of suspensions and expulsions is far more typical than atypical (high side for Rutherford, but not atypical for a school that side with a similar demographic). There are people on this thread searching for reasons to badmouth LMS, Dirk Ash, and Will Hester, LMS's academic performance and school profile doesn't support that. In fact take a look at Blackman Middle in comparison. Blackman middle has over 700 out of 900 students classified white, far fewer suspensions, no expulsions and pitiful academic gains numbers (but higher achievement scores)..in comparison to LMS. I scanned the rest of the schools in Rutherford. LMS has nothing to be ashamed of and the parents may not like Dirk Ash (I know him professionally and can assure you I know why some parents get rubbed the wrong way by him), but he looks to have done a good job with his time at LMS. Oh, and the suspension is more than Blackman, but less than Central (Central is 7 and 8 with a 10% higher white population).

I went to that link provided from the state about all schools and saw that 10.8% of LMS students had been suspended - 99 suspensions and that didn't include 6 expelled that it listed.

This doesn't mean all kids there are bad, but that is WAY too many having to be dealt with regarding conduct.

Thats not a "bare minimum" standard they met, but you can search other schools to see that. And that number of suspensions and expulsions is far more typical than atypical (high side for Rutherford, but not atypical for a school that side with a similar demographic). There are people on this thread searching for reasons to badmouth LMS, Dirk Ash, and Will Hester, LMS's academic performance and school profile doesn't support that. In fact take a look at Blackman Middle in comparison. Blackman middle has over 700 out of 900 students classified white, far fewer suspensions, no expulsions and pitiful academic gains numbers (but higher achievement scores)..in comparison to LMS. I scanned the rest of the schools in Rutherford. LMS has nothing to be ashamed of and the parents may not like Dirk Ash (I know him professionally and can assure you I know why some parents get rubbed the wrong way by him), but he looks to have done a good job with his time at LMS. Oh, and the suspension is more than Blackman, but less than Central (Central is 7 and 8 with a 10% higher white population).

If there was badmouthing of Will Hester it didn't come from me and I never brought race into the thread and don't care about race at all. But the poor conduct and academic un-seriousness that I know about FIRST HAND that exists at LMS is why my opinion of it is low. One teacher at the school stated that the difference between LMS and (Rock Springs/Stew Creek) was like "night and day" (her words) and didn't mean it as a compliment to LMS. I happen to know that the conduct at Rockvale Middle was also horrendous the first year it was open last year, if that makes you feel any better.

Any school where subs refuse to go back after one day is not a good situation and LMS has the reputation of a school subs refuse to go to.

http://www.greatschools.org/school/parentReviews.page?id=2464&state=TN&sortBy=dd&pager.offset=4

http://www.greatschools.org/school/parentReviews.page?id=2464&state=TN&sortBy=dd&pager.offset=0

Look at the reviews from students and parents. Words like "horrible" ..."terrible"..."worst ever" in their opinon of LMS. This may not be the fault of Mr. Ash but it is the reality of how tons of people feel about the situation over there.

Data, Facts. Opinions have the bad habit of letting a small vocal minority paint a very bad picture that isn't nearly the truth. I know people who spit at the mention of my boss, but the people actually in the school know the truth. I dare say one sub's bad experience and some vocal parents pissed off doesn't give a true and complete picture of LMS.

Will Hester's record isn't impressive. He had a good year on 2005 on the back of a heck of qb.

Good principals, good coaches and good teachers tune out the negative static and tune in to the positives they are doing.

http://www.greatschools.org/school/parentReviews.page?id=2464&state=TN&sortBy=dd&pager.offset=4

http://www.greatschools.org/school/parentReviews.page?id=2464&state=TN&sortBy=dd&pager.offset=0

Look at the reviews from students and parents. Words like "horrible" ..."terrible"..."worst ever" in their opinon of LMS. This may not be the fault of Mr. Ash but it is the reality of how tons of people feel about the situation over there.

Don Thomas was the head coach in 2005, not Hester. Will Hester coached the O line back then.

The opinion that LMS has way too many academically apathetic kids with conduct issues is an opinion that is widespread and anything but isolated - and for good reason. It's 100% accurate. Again, that may not be the fault of Dirk Ash, if it is a situation he inherited and tried his best with his system of "discipline steps" and some of the kids still turned out to be what they turned out to be in a negative sense.

We'll see how it turns out for him at LHS. There are lots of things that are good there. Have you seen the new gigantic music dept. trophy case? It takes up a good part of an entire hallway wall. Did you see the drama dept. do "Annie Get Your Gun" last year? Cumberland County playhouse couldn't have done it any better - except for the technical glitches caused by faulty wireless mics, etc. (takes money to update equipment - it's time for school to have some $$ for a change). Have you seem the LHS jazz band the last few years? They are better than many college jazz bands. What about the Choraliers? They were better the last 2 years than some college choral groups I've heard. The girl's hoops team obviously has been ranked near the top spot in the state all year. It's time for the school system to fund the school in a way it deserves and that may be the biggest first test for the new leadership chain of command - can they get the money needed to update and renovate everything in that building that needs it. If so, then maybe they can get the troublemakers to take pride in where they attend school as well as notice the achievements of the more motivated kids and join them in a positive way instead of continuing down a path to nowhere that will only lead them to ruin in their adult life.

My concern is not for me or you or Dirk Ash - it's for the kids who have to go to school there and the opportunities they should get.