high school win streaks

bbb

To have a long winning streak the wrestler must be very good but often times they must wrestle a softer schedule when the are young. It's very difficult for kids to go undefeated over a three year span if they wrestle in the Virginia Duals (national division), Beast of the East, Ironman, Cheesehead, Collins Hill, Brandon, etc... Was it not Dan Gable that said it was his job to get his kids defeated while wrestling the most difficult schedule available during the season? If they go undefeated with that type of schedule Gable felt that they were truly very gifted athletes.

I believe there's some kid Brian Baucke has out there on the mat. What's his stats?

If you mean his son Daniel, the longest winning streak is one of the few CBHS records that he is likely not to own or be tied for (one with his older brother). Wrestling a tough schedule means he will likely take a lose here or there... already has one this year to a kid from Collins Hill (would have had a chance to avenge at Toshiba Midwest Classic but the kid didn't make it far enough in the tournament while Baucke won it).

It is still amazing to me that someone can go undefeated for 8 straight years at higher levels (including NCAA-I) of competition with illness, nagging injuries, just plain bad days and other personal distractions and NEVER LOSE!! Will anyone ever match what Cael Sanderson did? Isn't there some HS kid at 160-171 up in Ohio that is undefeated right now, or did he graduate? What's his name?

On a side note... Can't be more proud of what our Jake Young is doing as a freshman this year, though! :popcorneater:

I think soddy daisy's Casey Jordan had a 5 win streak going possibly the longest of his career. he showed tremendous leadership and outstanding perseverance during that streak. Mark my words Casey will be there in the end. he has fought hard his senior year and i see no stopping that mad man! :oops:

Mike Newman was won 47 striaght matches and go hurt in the state quarters and had to go to the hospital due to a torn hip muscle. He tried to wrestle in the semi-final against the one that won the state that year and he had him in a cradle the whole last period but couldn't lower his hip for the pin. He lost that match on point. He injury defalted the three matche the next day so he could place in the state. His senior year he went 57 striaght wins. If you don't count the injury match and the injury defaults he won 104 striaght matches.

• 12 years later...

Who did he wrestle from out of state?  

Can't believe this old thread got resurrected.........but back in the day....Collins Hill wrestled Powerade Final 4 (only lost to Blair by 3), Blair, Brandon, Easton, The Clash, won Toshiba/Stampede Kansas City tourney 5 or more times...

And after reading my old comments....Peter Yates probably best Georgia wrestler ever....or maybe Charlie Heard....Chip Ness did ok too. Yates only high school loss was to Garrison Goins (4-timer) in double overtime of the state finals his freshman year....he also won Beast of the East.

Found this from the archives:
Event: Final Four Duals (PA)

Date: 1/23/2010 TBA

Site: Easton High School (PA)      

Collins Hill vs:
Long Branch (Won 27 - 25)
Blair Academy (Lost 33 - 30)
Benton (Won 54 - 25)
Easton (Won 45 - 12)

Edited by RMC
update

Adrian Norfleet lost a couple of times his sophomore year but still won the state.  A side note was that Adrian finished 3rd (lost by 1 point to the champion) in the USA Wrestling Junior Nationals (there was not a Cadet and Junior Division, everyone was together) after his sophomore year.  It is my understanding that he never made a return trip to the USA Wrestling Junior Nationals.  He was trained by the great Tony Rowland, so Tony would have all of the details.  

11 hours ago, cbg said:

Adrian Norfleet lost a couple of times his sophomore year but still won the state.  A side note was that Adrian finished 3rd (lost by 1 point to the champion) in the USA Wrestling Junior Nationals (there was not a Cadet and Junior Division, everyone was together) after his sophomore year.  It is my understanding that he never made a return trip to the USA Wrestling Junior Nationals.  He was trained by the great Tony Rowland, so Tony would have all of the details.  

He was so fast! His speed was unmatched at the time.

16 hours ago, DAKEKO said:

He was so fast! His speed was unmatched at the time.

Adrian absolutely had the athletic ability to be a NCAA national champion.  Unfortunately life off the wrestling mat was less than desirable as he was basically living on his own his last two years of high school.  

• Like 1