WHAT HAPPENS NOW AT EAST AND CENTRAL?

bearcat100

Heard yesterday from 2 really good sources that former Gate City Head Coach Nick Colobro has been given the Head football job at Sullivan East. Don't know when it will be formally announced. I find this to be very interesting. He is retired from the Gate City school system so I wonder how long he plans to stay at East. There is no doubt that he is a great coach,2 state championships prove that,but who will the assistants be? Will the present staff stay in place? All questions to be answered. Stay tuned.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heard yesterday from 2 really good sources that former Gate City Head Coach Nick Colobro has been given the Head football job at Sullivan East. Don't know when it will be formally announced. I find this to be very interesting. He is retired from the Gate City school system so I wonder how long he plans to stay at East. There is no doubt that he is a great coach,2 state championships prove that,but who will the assistants be? Will the present staff stay in place? All questions to be answered. Stay tuned.

Confirmed today. Nice pick for Sullivan East to get serious about their football program. Let's see if the community and kids respond.

Re: scott smith resigns as topper headcoach

by formerblazer » Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:47 am

SSHSRebelmom wrote:

"WELL.......He just got off the phone. Carter told our friend before Christmas that he was taking the SHHS job. Reasons were several, one of which is supposedly the inability to beat DB, and another the forecasted downsizing of South due to local urban growth plans, the latter being the primary reason. He is apparently planning to take the two Nelsons, from East and Central, as assistants. Our friend did not think any official announcement would be made before the banquet, but with all the rumors flying around, it may be sooner. All I know is what we were told, but the source is close to the situation, and has no reason to misrepresent anything."

formerblazer responded:

Again, this is why this sounds like garbage. Why would Ralph Nelson ever want to play second fiddle to Carter at a job where he would be taking a pay cut? This is this most idiotic thing I've ever heard. Ralph does NOT like Carter since Carter ran up the score on him the past few years, and anyone who watched the exchange they had after the East South game will testify to that. There is NO WAY he would leave his family and tenure at East to go be Carter's little errand boy

Hey, former blazer. I just wondered if maybe you wanted to apologize to me for basically calling me an idiot in the above post back in December. Kinda looks like our info was dead on. I guess maybe there was a WAY after all, huh? In the future, you might want to be just a little nicer when you don't know what you're talking about. :o

Ohhhhh,formerblazer,guess you got told!!!! Don't let that bother you,I have some really good sources and I was having trouble believeing it too. It took a while to get it all explained to me so that I could grasp it all. Oh well, nuff said about all that. I think Coach Colobro is a good choice, but I wonder if the kids at East are tough enough to play for him? Will they be able to endure the tough discipline and rules that Colobro brings with him? guess we'll just have to wait and see. Does anyone else out there have any thoughts about this?

I think East hit a home run. Colobro will only be there a few years but he will be great for them and get the program competing for conference championships as soon as next year. Coaches who understand how to win state titles will do just fine no matter where they are coaching. I wish Central would've hired him in 08. As far as Central goes, I think they needed to make a hire that would keep Holston's best kids from transferring to Db and South and I don't feel like this hire did that. I know this hire will keep Blountville's players in though. My opinion on the biggest issue at Central is the offseason training program and depth, every year it seems like there are 5-10 kids who work their tails off and the rest don't. This is a big reason why they lose close games and always have tons of injuries imo. Central will have the best QB in the area next year so if there is not excitement for kids at the school and improvement I think it may be a while until there is.

Re: scott smith resigns as topper headcoach

by formerblazer » Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:47 am

SSHSRebelmom wrote:

"WELL.......He just got off the phone. Carter told our friend before Christmas that he was taking the SHHS job. Reasons were several, one of which is supposedly the inability to beat DB, and another the forecasted downsizing of South due to local urban growth plans, the latter being the primary reason. He is apparently planning to take the two Nelsons, from East and Central, as assistants. Our friend did not think any official announcement would be made before the banquet, but with all the rumors flying around, it may be sooner. All I know is what we were told, but the source is close to the situation, and has no reason to misrepresent anything."

formerblazer responded:

Again, this is why this sounds like garbage. Why would Ralph Nelson ever want to play second fiddle to Carter at a job where he would be taking a pay cut? This is this most idiotic thing I've ever heard. Ralph does NOT like Carter since Carter ran up the score on him the past few years, and anyone who watched the exchange they had after the East South game will testify to that. There is NO WAY he would leave his family and tenure at East to go be Carter's little errand boy

Hey, former blazer. I just wondered if maybe you wanted to apologize to me for basically calling me an idiot in the above post back in December. Kinda looks like our info was dead on. I guess maybe there was a WAY after all, huh? In the future, you might want to be just a little nicer when you don't know what you're talking about. :thumb:

Well after I made the comment and time went by, I guess I could see why he wanted to leave. If you look at the record and what was going on, you saw that he would have a good team every few years and then there you go...seasons full of nothing. I guess if he wants to be in the big show and have a better resume, he went to the right place. I think at the time I hard a hard time seeing why a head coach would go to a bigger school, but with all the info that happened and we all found about since then, well there ya go. I didn't think everyone would be so serious going after Carter and Nelson, but they are up there working right now so I guess I was wrong. Apologies apologies.

Ohhhhh,formerblazer,guess you got told!!!! Don't let that bother you,I have some really good sources and I was having trouble believeing it too. It took a while to get it all explained to me so that I could grasp it all. Oh well, nuff said about all that. I think Coach Colobro is a good choice, but I wonder if the kids at East are tough enough to play for him? Will they be able to endure the tough discipline and rules that Colobro brings with him? guess we'll just have to wait and see. Does anyone else out there have any thoughts about this?

Eh with all the talk about coaching changes and people going whereever, I had a hard time believing anything this season. I think he will find that the community of East will be different from GC. I think he could possibly do a lot of good at East, he just needs the kids serious and needs to build a good program. With his age, though, I only see him at East for 5 years at the most, but a lot of good could happen there.

Now how about Happy Valley....did anyone see that one coming?

I couldn't agree with you any more Blazer. I think you are right on the money. Hope you knew i was just "Funnin" you with the Ohhhhh!!!! I really enjoy reading your replys. But I have to say, OK,you got me, What's going on at Happy Valley? And I thought I had good sources!!!!!

It was in the JC Paper today that the Head coach at Happy Valley was, for lack of a better word, fired. Their defensive coordinator left because of this as well. The reason being was the Athletic Director thought that the program was going in the wrong direction.

So Happy Valley is left coachless, and right before spring practice. I thought he was doing a good job, going about .500 aint bad at all, and he seemed to be building the program up further and further.

I couldn't agree with you any more Blazer. I think you are right on the money. Hope you knew i was just "Funnin" you with the Ohhhhh!!!! I really enjoy reading your replys. But I have to say, OK,you got me, What's going on at Happy Valley? And I thought I had good sources!!!!!

It was in the JC Paper today that the Head coach at Happy Valley was, for lack of a better word, fired. Their defensive coordinator left because of this as well. The reason being was the Athletic Director thought that the program was going in the wrong direction.

So Happy Valley is left coachless, and right before spring practice. I thought he was doing a good job, going about .500 aint bad at all, and he seemed to be building the program up further and further.

All Happy Valley football coaches was asked to resign. Verran was the only one given a option to return as an assistant coach. (which his pride will probably not let himself do) Based on what I know . . . I agree with the AD. There is coaches in the waiting for the job, the AD just has to make decision and pick one.

All Happy Valley football coaches was asked to resign. Verran was the only one given a option to return as an assistant coach. (which his pride will probably not let himself do) Based on what I know . . . I agree with the AD. There is coaches in the waiting for the job, the AD just has to make decision and pick one.

a three year coach, won the conference two years ago went to the playoffs both times and was in a league playing bigger teams where he could have possibly been in 2nd this year. Sounds to me like the program was going in the right direction.